Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
I am thinking about buying a boat in the offseason and I was curious what kinds of deals people have gotten. I am considering both used (Mastercraft PS205/X1/X2, Malibu VLX's, maybe Supra V-drives) and new (Moomba or V-Ride) so let me know how much you have saved working a deal after the summer is over and the next year models are out. I have never looked around during the fall or winter, so I don't know how much prices change.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
Boat prices are always lower in the winter. People buy their boat in the summer, never used it, and don't want to pay the note over winter. Dealers also offer some deals on left over boats. They have to get rid of the old boats so that they can get next year's models. Only problem is you might have to settle for an odd color, or not getting the options you want.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
I wouldn't go as far as saying that boat prices are always lower in the winter.

A dealer might have the incentive to move out any remaining stock that he has in the fall so that he doesn't have inventory sitting all winter. If he doesn't have it in his personal inventory then he won't be so motivated. It might already be too late to order a 2007 from the factory (about now is when the factories start shifting over to producing the new model year) so purchasing a boat might involve transfering it from one dealer to another, so two dealers need to make money on it plus transportation costs.

The later winter to early spring time is when the boat shows kick in and the manufacturers may offer various incentives over and above what the dealer might offer. You generally have to place an order in February and not get your boat until April but it can be worth a few thousand dollars.

Rod
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
I talked to a Malibu dealer today and he said the 08's will go into production in July and start shipping in August. I am just going to keep my eyes peeled for good deals during the fall/winter and if I find something that I want and the price is right, then I will pick it up. I have a permanent spot on a buddy's Sport Nautique, so I am going to look for something with a different style of wake.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
Anybody else with off season buying experience?
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-19-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
I bought my Calabria Pro V new in February but it was last years model. The dealer gave me a smoking deal because he still had three left and needed to move them to have floor space for the new arrivals. Usually the buying season out here starts in March and the dealer just flat out did not have the space. He told me I was doing him a favor, so asked to return the favor buy throwing in the perfect pass option and he did for $500. Usually it runs $1500 but it is worth every penny. Don't get a boat without it, my friend does not have it and it is so much more work driving.