Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
The 2012 Wake Surf Nationals have got me thinking about the future of Competitive Surf Style wakesurf boards.

Quote:
Frank Wolter (wofrankwo) Join Date: Jul 2009 Today, 7:55 AM Reply Quick Reply
wow all 3 surf style boards are basically twins!!
Quote:
Jeff Walker (surfdad) Join Date: Sep 2004 Today, 8:21 AM Reply Quick Reply

@ Frank - yeah those Nubsters as trailers are pretty small. Keenan talked about running his as a five fin like Slater, using more traditional quad trailers in lieu of the Nubsters, and then the single Nubster in the back.
Is this the death of traditional quads in competitive wakesurfing?

It seems that board design and fin set ups are changing to keep up with the new tricks. To place in the top 3 you have to have shuvs and bigspins now and traditional quads and thruster wont allow that.
Do you think people that love the feel of quads or thrusters will use them strictly for freeriding since thats what they have the most fun on, but then compete with a new style nubster board?

Kind of like how ocean surfers ride a ton of different shapes freeriding like fishs and other concept boards for fun, but then in comps ride the standard thruster

I was talking with some people about this over the weekend and it is interesting to me. Basically to be competitive you are forced to ride a certain style of board (in competition), even if you prefer one shape/set up of board over the other.

On a side note, I rode a "performance" longboard wakesurf board this weekend from Mendonesia and fell in love. Its obviously not going to allow people to podium in competitions, but it made me think more about how people may have a quiver of boards based on what they enjoy riding but then have their separate comp boards.