Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-06-2011, 9:30 PM Reply   
Hello everyone,

I am new to wakeworld.com but have been a lurker for a long time. Very informative and helpful site. I apologize in advance for the long first post.

I know everyone is tired of which board to get posts but...I will be recieving my 3rd Ronix Viva 144 in the next few weeks from breaking them. The first one I bought was a 2010 that I broke in April this year, I liked the board alot coming from an '04 LF Substance. I recieved a 2011 Viva and the new shape is AWESOME, faster, smoother, better pop, better edging, the whole package, for me at least. I love this board but am afraid I am going to break another one.

Both boards broke in between my feet right in front of my rear foot while landing in the flats, one on a raley the other a tantrum. Both boards broke within the first 15 rides. I guess I land tail heavy but always thought that was how you are supposed to?? I have been wakeboarding for 15+ years so its not like I don't know what I am doing.

I am 6' tall 220-225 lbs and like fast smooth boards (never really loved the substance). The shop I am dealing with is really cool and I think they are going to allow me to do a trade on the warrantied board if I choose too. I don't want to be one of the contributors to putting a hurt on another wake company by sending warranty claims one after another. Also, I think Ronix is a great company and are doing awesome things for the sport.

My question is board recommendations, I am not against "flex/hybrid" boards but have never ridden one. The shop sells Ronix, LF, Hype, Byerly, and CWB. I have never been a fan on CWB. Obviously I need at least a 142 board but 144 would be a little better. They Byerly Conspiracy description reads good, not crazy about the graphics but that doesn't make it ride better/worse. Also the Ronix Phoenix project might be an option, thinking if its made to flex in tip/tail maybe it wont break as easy. Looking for a strong board for boat only riding.

I would like to try Slingshot Newton or Hooke or really Lyman Ltd ed, but they dont carry Slingshot . If someone wants to trade or work out a deal on a 142 Newton or Hooke for a new unused NIB Viva 144...

If you have board recommendations please tell me why you like the board and how it rides (fast, slow, edgy, loose, poppy, etc)

Yes I have posted this in other forums but am looking for good advise.
Thanks for listening
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-06-2011, 10:55 PM Reply   
I would assume the 2011 Slingshot boards are the strongest boards (as far as core material). They are the first boards to use all wood core. I just graduated with an engineering degree and have done computer tests for windmill blades. You would be surprised how much more efficient and strong it is to use balsa wood versus foam (I know I was). The Newton and Hooke also use Carbon Firber for additional strength. I don't think you could go wrong with the 142 Newton when you are coming from the Viva.

Also landing with weight over both feet (the same way you leave the wake) would help you break less boards and would be easier on your body. I've broken a couple boards in that same spot on some under rotated front flips.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-07-2011, 2:43 PM Reply   
CWB has the DB9 which has a bamboo core. They also make the Kink in a 146 I believe. The kink has the traditional foam core but it's big and the fins can be adjusted...

The DB9 has only been around since 2010 (I think) but from what I know, they are very strong boards. The only downside is that they are their most expensive board in the line.

I'm riding the DB9 144

Last edited by Rad_Matty_D; 07-07-2011 at 2:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-07-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
How does that db9 ride? Does it lock in when you put it on edge or is it pretty loose? I read up a little on it but there isn't a lot of write-ups on the board yet. I watched the youtube vid and it looks nice, of course a pro can make a 2x4 look like a rockin board..
Thanks.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-14-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
I've been riding the DB9 144 all year this year. I like it a lot. It is the same mold as the Faction with a different core and smaller fins.

I think it tracks and holds and edge really well but is noticeably looser than the Faction with smaller fins.

Last edited by Rad_Matty_D; 07-14-2011 at 9:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-14-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
Personally I would say that the standard Faction is stronger than the DB9. I think you'd be very happy with a 144 CWB Faction.

The Vibe is a very cool board, too. It may take some solid fundamentals to get the best of. For 2011, I've changed over from the Faction to the Vibe. I love how fast and poppy it is, but it is a bit more of a challenge to ride. It's easy to "miss" the pop if you're not right on your game. I rode the Faction for 2 years and loved it.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-14-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
Ronix boards just aren't built for guys your size. I can't count how many ronix boards have been broken by the guys I ride with over the last 2 years. I second slingshot as a pretty strong board. I ride a 10' Lyman and I haven't broke it yet. I weigh 230lbs
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Get a 144-146.. Spread out some of that love..

142 is what people 170-200 are riding typically..
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-16-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
I take it back, broke my Lyman today Now I'm on the search for a board myself, sucks that they don't make a LF Lyman anymore
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-16-2011, 8:57 PM Reply   

from Andy Bass on Vimeo.

cant have a "strong board" thread without at least mentioning Sine

Last edited by wakerider111; 07-16-2011 at 9:00 PM.
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-16-2011, 9:00 PM Reply   
Chris, Sorry to hear you broke your Lyman.

Talked with someone at Ronix and they were very surprised that it broke and must have been an early production run. I guess I will try one more since I like how the board rides so much and see what happens..

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and advise.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
I remember at the 2010 boat show the ronix rep was bagging on slinshot saying those boards broke too easy. The group we ride wiht have gone through probably 10-15 ronix boards. IF you get one pick up an ATR, the guy who breaks the most is riding an ATR viva and has been for a few weeks, hasn't broke yet. They do ride nice, I rode that viva right after I broke my board and it popped like crazy
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-17-2011, 5:11 PM Reply   
I asked about the atr version when I called Ronix and they acted like strength was the same, but it makes sense to me that it would be at least a little stronger.
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-17-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
I asked about the atr version when I called Ronix and they acted like strength was the same, but it makes sense to me that it would be at least a little stronger.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
Here is what the ronix site says about the ATR:
Mod Pour: A performance alternative core made up from the minds of Ronix’s best. A Ronix exclusive concoction of carbon and atoms that have a higher strength to weight ratio providing a stronger, snappy board with less swing weight // The Krypto Cable (blue dot in cross section), is made up of different fibers brewed and woven together to make an unbeatably strong compound. This feature wraps around the profile of the board and fuses with Ronix’s unique Mod Pour Core and monocoque laminated glass (yellow line in the cross section) making the sidewalls the strongest part of the board - not the weakest. This provides a ride not only with strength, but with proven flexibility.

So far my friends ATR has held up, though i did snap one of his fins over the weekend. I have a feeling he will break it soon though.