Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old    sila            04-20-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
This may sound like a lame question but I am somewhat new in the wakeboarding scene and I have a board that is somewhat flat on the bottom with no molded fins in the fiberglass of the board. My questions:

What difference does the size of your board make on your ride? (more pop, more tricks??)

What difference does the size of your fins make for your ride?

and last but not least

What is the difference between the molded fins that are in advanced boards and the flat begginner boards that do not have the molded fins?

Thanks for the input. I am about to make the plunge into getting an advanced board and I want to make sure that the money is worth it.

what is the best board and binding setup for the money???

(Message edited by sila on April 20, 2006)
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-20-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
There are some boards out there that are "advanced" and are still very easy to ride for a wide range of styles, and people. There are also some "advanced" boards out there that are only will work for a distinct riding style.

The size of the board is mostly personal preference. I like boards that are a little on the big side for my recommended weight range.

The size of the fins also have a huge impact on how a board performs. The bigger the fin, the more responsive your board will be.

The best thing to do is ride as many boards as you can. Ride your friend's boards, invite people out on your boat to ride their board, or go out with someone else and ride their board, or go to a shop and get a demo.

Once you ride a lot of boards, you'll be able to tell the guy people what you like and don't like, and they can reccommend boards for you.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
I don't know that you could classify non-molded fin shapes as "Beginner Boards." In my opinion they are simply older technology (with the exception of boards like the Shane and Team that utilize bolt-on outer fins).

There are a lot of boards to choose from for a reason. Some will suit your style better than others. You should definitely try a few out before you buy. Eventually you find the one that feels natural under your feet and that's the one you go with.

Check out the CWB Flame, Pure, or Absolute. They are "advanced boards" (or pro models), but are still beginner friendly and forgiving when you screw up.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
Ya I agree with Thane Dog its personal preference to a point but you dont want to be 200+ and riddin a 134cm. I would do what Thane Dogg suggested and ride and demo as many boards as you can to see what feels good to you and then go from there. Best of luck to ya Mike.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-20-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
great posts above by thane dogg and j-rod, but i'd like to address the question;

quote:

what is the best board and binding setup for the money???

a lot of people will suggest this board and that board. that's great and all, but the best thing to do, like thane said, is to demo. you can tell people your exact riding style and exactly what you're looking for in a board, but the only way you'll know if a board's right for you is if you demo it. listen to people like thane and j-rod in their board suggestions, demo them from your local shop and decide for yourself. it's the ONLY way you'll know what's good for YOU.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       04-20-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
I would say the best board for the money would be a left-over 05 board. Being a year behind can save you alot of money. As far as what board you need to ride what feels right to you.
Yes the board does make a difference. I swithced last season from a beginner board to a LF Fish and it made a big difference. I tried riding the older board later and realized how much better the new board really is.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-20-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
Curious, what board your riding now and how are you progressing with it? I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination but am a firm believer if you can ride a "slick" board you'll be amazed once you step up a level, it goes from pinto to vette with just a small board change.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
I personally think that bindings make more of a difference then the board does. For me high end bindings are a must. There is a huge difference between high end bidings and weekend warrior bindings. I've ridden lots of different boards and lots of different styles of boards and I perform about the same on all of them, granted I'm talking about different promodel boards. It may take a run or two to adjust to a new board but its no big deal once I get a feel for it. All that being said... I know what I prefer, fast and tight board with an agressive continuous rocker.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-21-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
changing board size made a difference for me. I went from a 141 to a 147 and it has been the best thing that's happened to my riding next to time on the water.
Old    sila            04-21-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all the input you guys are the greatest

I am about 198 LBS and I am at the point that I can land a 360 consistently but I still need to work on my switch stance. The boat that I ride with may have a tower this summer but that is still in the air. So to make a long story short I am looking for something with a lot of pop and the ability to help beef up my arsenal of tricks this summer. At first I wasn’t sure that a board would help with all that but now it appears that many people think that it does.

When you demo boards do you typically pay $50 to demo it for the day and that $50 will be applied to the purchase of a board if you choose to buy one from the store of which you choose to demo?

That is how the shop in my area runs demos, is that pretty much the norm?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-21-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
Ya thats preety much the norm a little high I think. We charge 35 for the weekend at my shop, and then if you want to buy the board the 35 goes toward the purchase.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-21-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
35 is expensive too! I demoed the shane and watson at performance and it was 20 for both..but the 20 went toward the shane when i bought it!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-22-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
"35 is expensive too!" thats for a weekend two days not one we charge 20 for one day as well.