Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (tx03gt)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2009, 9:55 PM Reply   
http://gcwa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7353

Scary to think about
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-27-2009, 1:22 AM Reply   
I saw that on a local forum a couple weeks ago... I'm still shaking my head wondering why that information is so easily accessible!

Cool profile pic!
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-27-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
the link on the gcwa board didn't work for me
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-27-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
Thanks to Ken at BulletLines for posting that on the GCWA website! I will be writing the Texas Parks and Wildlife for sure to see if they will enact some changes.

That makes it way to easy for thieves to steal your stuff.

(Message edited by scwellman on February 27, 2009)
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-27-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
For you Texas boat owners that frequent WW - Here is what I posted.. For you peeps from other states I would check the website of the state agency that handles your boat registration - Way to go Govt.

If you are not scared by the fact that someone watching you launch can now go to TP&W's site and immediately know your name, address, lien holder on your boat, boat serial number, etc. by simply entering your TX Numbers, then you should be. All a theif needs to do now is go to the boat launch, pick out the boat with best stereo, write down the TX Numbers, go to TP&W website, and now they know where your boat possibly is stored, and they also know the boat owner is not home right now because the owner is on the lake.. I can do this from my blackberry..

Post a pick of your boat showing TX Numbers with wetsounds, NVS, or Bullet speakers on this website, or anywhere on the net, and a thief knows where to find a super nice stereo system.

Please call TP&W and let them know this info needs to be a little harder to get to.

Here is a link to the website - https://apps.tpwd.state.tx.us/tora/jump.jsf

Ken Land
Bullet Lines / Krypt Towers
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
Thieves in Texas know they can possibly get shot and die over petty theft.

this is very low risk IMO. Most crimanals arent; that smart...
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-27-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
I saw this too, but I'm thinking that posting it here only propogates the problem. It's a catch 22, I don't really what to advertise the the fact that you can look this info up so easily but then again we need to let people know so we can get something done about it.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-27-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
It's a double edged sword. On one hand I'm not thrilled with knowing that someone can find out where I live. On the other hand, knowing where the fisherman lives who casted his line at me or threatened me with a gun does put a smile on my face.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-27-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Good info and it does stink that it's that easy, but I'm going out on a limb to say that we probably just educated some want to be thieves. Also if a thieve wants your stuff bad enough, they can get it. You can only take so many precautions, especially when you leave your boat on a lift all summer.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
I wrote them and expressed my concerns. Here is the response I got:

"Dear Boater,

Since 1975, Texas law has required the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to make boat ownership information publicly available.

31.039 Public Records: Fees

(a) All ownership records of the department made or kept under this chapter are public records.

(b) The commission may by rule charge a fee for access to ownership records and other records made or kept under this chapter.

31.0391 Release of Information

(a) The department or a county may not release the name or address of a person recorded in the department vessel and outboard motor ownership records unless the department or county receives a written request that:

(1) contains the requester's name and address; and

(2) states that the use of the information is for a lawful purpose.

(b) This section does not apply to the release of information to:

(1) a peace officer as defined by Article 2.12, Code of Criminal Procedure, who is acting in an official capacity; or

(2) a state official or an official of a political subdivision of this state who requests the information for tax purposes.

For many years TPWD has required requests for boat ownership information to be submitted in writing. Boating constituent groups, county officials, legislative officials, law enforcement agencies and much of the public have strongly urged TPWD to simplify the boat titling and registration process.

By making boat ownership information available on the TPWD website, marine dealers can now quickly acquire accurate information regarding trade-ins, and wrecker services can now acquire the information to locate owners of towed boats within the five-day period required by law. The general public can also check ownership information when buying a used boat to determine legal ownership, whether a title is available, whether a lien exists, whether the registration is accurate and current, and if there are any problems preventing future transactions.

Law enforcement agencies have also requested easier access to boat ownership information. TPWD will be providing boat ownership information directly to city, county and state law enforcement agencies through standard law enforcement electronic communications systems. Communicating this information more efficiently and effectively will assist law enforcement agencies in recovering more stolen boats.

As individuals – many of whom also are boat owners -- we at TPWD understand your concerns for safety and security regarding the release of boat ownership information. These concerns were taken into consideration in designing the search tool for boat ownership information on the TPWD website in order balance these concerns with the public’s right of access to this information.

Searches are limited to only boat TX numbers or serial numbers in order to prevent random searches. In addition, specific identifying information regarding all requestors is tracked, and every query is recorded.

As many of you are aware, there are a wide variety of search tools commonly available on the Internet that provide similar and sometimes more detailed personal information, many at no cost. United States Coast Guard-documented vessels (approximately 13,000, in Texas) are similarly searchable through the Web at: http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html.

The intersection of public information and privacy often requires government agencies to be thoughtful and careful in the way they fulfill their obligations to the public. TPWD welcomes your ideas about how we can better do that. Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-262-8755 or to use the department’s formal complaint process available on the agency web site at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/feedback/complaints/file_a_complaint.phtml.

Sincerely,

Boat Registration & Titling Section

Texas Parks & Wildlife"