Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       06-03-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
what is the best city to live in for all year round Wake Boarding and Surfing?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-03-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Probably West Palm. East coast surf and a water ski stadium at a county park. I cant remember the name but I think they hold the Nationals there. Not allot of other open water for boarding that I know of but a couple cables fairly close.

It kinda depends on your priorities. Boarding first than Orlando- Tampa. great lakes, OWC, McCormick's etc. and the east side surf is a 1.5 -2 hour drive.

West palm is the only town I know of with a lake and surf in one spot.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-03-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
East Orlando area pretty much is close to both.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Jax
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       06-03-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
my priority is actually wake boarding surfing is just something I would be doing for fun every once in a while
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Each area also has it's own "personality". Many either love or hate Southeast Florida. Although I live in South Florida, I like central Florida the best.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-08-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
Panhandle... Lots of water and all the free oil you can handle
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-08-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
West Palm would probably be one of your worst choices. We are so limited in south florida with lakes that if a) you want to live on one, you pretty much have 2 too choose from, b) you own a boat and have to drive too one of the three parks that have access which one requires a membership and there is only one pass so if there is another boat you have to wait your turn or c) you want to tow it and drop it in salt water at miami marine stadium or maybe an intercostal spot but good luck on finding smooth water or d) you want to pay dean lavelle $100 for a pull on a lake that is blown of over 50% of the time. Basically if you HAVE close and easy access, it is great, but if you have a distance to drive, don't live on one of the lakes, or don't know many people with access, you are going to be riding cable. Personally for me, Rixen is my favorite place on earth and I would rather ride it than the boat sometimes but when you are really itching to take a boat set, you are pretty much SOL. If Dean's had sick water all of the time, I think it would be worth the 30 minute set on occasion, but I have gotten skunked there too many times to say it is coincidence. He will weight the boat down as much as you want which is pretty sick and he is rockin' a 210 so too me it was just like riding at home minus the good water, and I am a calm water snob just because my lake is always flat and generally flat even on parts of the weekends. The lake is just completely exposed from every direction to wind and is close enough to the ocean that I think it just gets part of that sea breeze regardless of the day. I'm sure early in the morning is fine but unfortunately that isn't an option for most of us. I also preferred when Jimmy Trask was there, and we would just go out because if you go with Dean, even if you just want a "pull" it always ends up instructional (which would get on my nerves because i would take a boat set every few months after only riding cable so obviously i was rusty). With Jimmy, if you just wanted a pull, that's what you got and it felt more like being at home on the boat riding with your boys.

And as for surfing, you would much rather be in Orlando. It is a 1 hour drive to New Smyrna and all of those beaches around there. South Florida is rarely longboardable, but you can shortboard NSB every day of the year pretty much.

Last edited by kyle_L; 06-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
I don't know much about FL but I'm sure there is a reason all the pro's live in or around Clermont.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
Kyle makes some very good points.

I withdraw my earlier suggestion.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Kyle hits it on the head for South Florida but compared to other parts of the country, it's not all that bad. I will make one point, the intracoastal from Woolbright to Atlantic Ave has some of the best salt water conditions in South Palm Beach County and it's calm during the week. One side of the ditch is a natural shoreline so you get one seawall bounce and then calm water. Since it's more narrow, boats are going either north or south so wakes are not traveling down the waterway. The local alternative, Lake Ida, is always full of jet skis every single day. If you go to north Palm Beach County, PGA north and North of Jupiter, you can also find calm salt water. Good luck paying for that choice water front crib. I also find if you want to trailer, Okeeheelee Park and a flexible schedule, can be good.

Regardless, I would still take East Orlando for it's overall lifestyle and plentiful lakes. Yea, there's a reason the pros call Orlando home and it always helps to avoid the typical working mans hours by riding weekday days.
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       06-11-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
man that is a lot of good advice this will really help me out when it comes to determining what part of FL I want to live in
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-11-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Pensacola, FL! Bayou Texar mainly
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-12-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
Parker - you guys seen any oil up in there yet?
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
yea a little on the beaches just tar balls mostly. Not in the bay though, there trying to block it off at the pass.