Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (dantastic)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Hey guys, i'm still really new to Wakeboarding.. though i'm loving it.

I realize my boat isnt a wakeboarding boat, and I dont have a tower/pylon.. but unfortunately I have all that I can afford for now.

If you guys could possibly point out something i'm doing horribly wrong with trying to jump the wake? I cant seem to go any higher/further then this no matter how many times I try. I did watch Higher Education.. but they really seem to go through the beginning parts like stance and 1 wake jumping really fast.

here's the clip, try not to laugh too hard! its only been a month since I bought the wakeboard :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGdXM-wuN0s
Old                09-17-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
Dude-dont sweat it-ou can do 180 360 and probably a tantrum or backroll with your boat and wake.keep the rope in a little lower near your hips arms slightly bent.
Practice edging out heelside by bending your knees more and leaning against the rope as you slowly build speed-get used to the speed this way without hitting the wake. Cut back toward the wake and make a turn before going over the wake and cut out on your heelside edge again smoothly in a rythum.Then do the same on your toeside edge on the other side. Get used to edging harder and harder in a controlled position. Then start tearing it up cutting harder and lower-dont be afraid to take some spills just cutting. It will get you used to your board and the feel of the different edges. The surface 180 will come soon after then take that off the wake-good luck
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-17-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
u need to bend your knees more when leaning into the wake so you can pop yourself up, and also lean back more into it... It also looked like you didnt have a lot of board control so listen to djs and get better with that. The biggest thing is you standing up when u hit get to the top of the wake and that will give you your pop... your wake isnt that big so u wont need a lot of distance to cross it, just get that pop. Good Luck
Old    alanp            09-17-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
the video was a little blurry for me but the one thing i could see that is hurting you badly is you are absorbing the pop of the wake with your knees. right when the wake starts to send you into the air you are bending your knees and absorbing the pop. this is the exact opposite of what you need to do in order to get more height. stand tall on the top of the wake and throughout your jump and it'll help immediately(as long as you do it correctly:-)). before your next set stand in the back of the boat and rig up the rope so you can hold it and lean against it. then hold the rope as normal and lean against it(weight on heels) and squat down and stand tall, invisioning the wake and stand tall right as you hit the wake.
btw you dont need a nice boat and a tower to be a good wakeboarderr. ive seen a million people with nice boats that just plain old suck. all you need is a desire to learn.
Old     (dantastic)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the tips, i'll give them all a try this week.

As far as the surfice 180 goes, I got that down on a buddys board hes got fins about half the size of mine.. it seems next to impossible for me to do it on my board though (CWB Sol).

I know it should be possible if I do it on an Ollie, but I still dont have the skill/balls to get any height on an Ollie :-)

(Message edited by dantastic on September 17, 2006)
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-17-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
The fins on the sol are really big but u can still do it, you just need to push harder. And when ur trying to get height on an ollie, you shouldnt be scared. Those falls dont hurt. Just press hard with ur back leg and the water will push back up on the board and out of the water. Dont try the ollie 180 until youve got the surface consistent.
Old    alanp            09-18-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
a surface 180 requires just two things. 1. release the handle with the front hand. 2 dig in with the front heel.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-18-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
you dont need to release the handle, just need to pull it to the other hip when you rotate your body. Dont catch your edge tho hehe
Old     (howakeboartder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-25-2006, 12:22 AM Reply   
"I realize my boat isnt a wakeboarding boat, and I dont have a tower/pylon.. but unfortunately I have all that I can afford for now."

I'd say don't even worry about the boat. My friend pick up an old, and I mean old, Bayliner with a 70hp outboard on it for $600. What we do is put about 500lbs of fat sac in the back and it makes a nice wake. Here is a pic of me doing a 180 w2w. (I think I slipped out on that one but oh well.) The rope length is about 60ft an it works pretty good.

Upload
Old     (howakeboartder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-25-2006, 12:24 AM Reply   
Do you have a pic of your boat?

I'll get one of my friends for you sometime soon.