Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-16-2007, 11:01 PM Reply   
Hey guys, just a few little questions I wanted to ask some of ya'll that know a lot more about stereos/speakers than myself.

I have an old Cobalt I/O and I simply wanted to upgrade the existing stereo and speakers, while possibly leaving room for improvement if I can ever come up with the money for a tower/tower speaker system.

The boat came with just an Am/FM Cassette with two 6.5" speakers in the back on the engine cover and 2 box-like (maybe component?) speakers under both the driver and passenger seats. Now, only 1 of the component speakers work, and I'd like to just replace everything for as cheaply as possible.

How does this sound? I was thinking about getting some of those Polk DB650 6.5" 2-way speakers (180w peak power, 60w RMS, $59/pair)for the back on the engine cover. Then to replace the front components, I thought maybe about getting two 6"x9" speakers in a box-enclosure and mounting them up there. Then just get a 200w or so CD Receiver to replace the AM/FM.

How would that sound?? Sadly, I know next to nothing about all this audio stuff. Tell me, would I need an amplifier for this setup, or would the CD receiver be sufficient to make this sound good? Also, can I just directly wire this system to my battery, as is my existing AM/FM?

Thanks for any help guys!

p.s. This is a weird question, but maybe ya'll would have a solution. Those rear 6.5" speakers that mount on my engine cover get the wires torn out of them a lot when the engine cover is entirely removed to work on the engine. Is there any sort of quick-disconnect harness I could rig up in order to disconnect the wires from those speakers when I need to remove the engine cover?? Really looking for a solution...
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2007, 11:20 PM Reply   
Yes they have quick disconnects. They use them for tower speaker setups all the time. Very easy to find. Just ask your local stereo shop.

Just a suggestion, go with four polk db650s instead of 6X9s and run an amp. I know you want to stay to a budget but it would make a big difference. Receivers alone, even 200 watters rarely get the potential out of 60 rms speakers.
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-16-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
Hey 54, thanks for the advice. Can I get an enclosure than I can mount up under the driver and passenger dashes, where my current speakers are? I like that location, it is out of the way and not exposed to much sun or water.

Also, what size/brand of amp would you recommend for that setup??
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-17-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
For 6.5s you don't need enclosures. Just mount them right under the dash. If you want to use enclosures because you are trying to avoid cutting holes into the boat, i don't really know too much about enclosures for 6.5s.

As for an amp, you're running 4 - 60 rms speakers, so look for a 4 channel amp that gets to at least 40-50rms per channel. That would be the easiest way. You do have other options of running a 2 channel amp using each channel for each set of speakers. I personally run jl audio for my cabin speakers(stock in the X2s) and have a fodgate amp for my sub. But there are many good brands that are well priced. Look on sonicelectronix.com or cardomain for some good deals.

I did a quick search and found this phoenix gold one that is the right wattage and very well priced.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1702_Phoenix+Gold+R5.0-4.html

But like I said there are many brands, depending on how much you want to spend.
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-17-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice 54. I just had one question. Why would you recommend running 4 Polk db650 6.5" speakers instead of 2 6.5's and 2 6x9's (i thought Polk db690's)up front? Is there an advantage with the 6.5's over the 6x9's, besides the cost? I just thought maybe the 6x9's would add more bass, since I don't have subs. Let me know, you know much more about this stuff than I do!
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-17-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
Also, I like the look and price of that amp you sent me. Is Phoenix Gold a pretty good brand? I talked to a guy at Crutchfield, and for what I was doing with the boat, he recommended this amp:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-najhSqX0xT0/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=489AP740

What do you think? Would that be better than the Phoenix Gold one you found? I like your price on the Phoenix better, though!
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-17-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
I emailed you. coworkers walk by my desk and wakeworld is always up on the screen. lol.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-18-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any experience with Clarion Head units, I like the look of the new M475 from Clarion, plus the wired remotes are cool.

Kelly (weskel)
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-18-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Ok, I have an even dumber question. Probably. I have an 03 X2, and I just replaced all 4 6.5 speakers with the Polk db651's. Now, most people have a 4x50w head unit...why would someone need a 4x50 or 4x60 amp for those speakers? Doesn't the head unit have the same power if that is all you are running?
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-18-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
Brian, it's because amps actually put out more power than what they say they do. I don't know why that is, but a system with an amp will always sound better. It may be because it takes less power away from the head unit allowing it to perform its other tasks easier.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-18-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but...

I am eventually planning on running the four Polk 651 interior speakers, a sub, and tower speakers. I'm going to want 3 amps then? (1 each for interior speakers, sub, and tower)
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
Brian,
Head units that say 4x50 usually have that much power at peak watts, your polk db651s i believe are 180 watts peak and 60 watts rms. Your head unit is probably putting out about 20 watts rms. So when you are shopping for an amp for your speakers, don't look at peak watts, look at rms.
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
Oh to answer your question other question about 3 amps? Or at least try to anyways. You probably will have to use three, unless you find a 5 channel amp with sub channel. Thats 1 option that I have used, there probably are other ways.
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-18-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Brian, I don't know much either, but from what I've learned, it sounds like either run a 5-channel amp or get three separate amps, with one of them being a 2 channeled amp for the 4 Polks. I've heard to match RMS's on the amp and speakers as closely as possible...
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-18-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Sorry Brian, I messed up there. I think the ideal set up would be running one channel off of an amp to each speaker in your boat. That would mean a 4 channel amp to the interior ones, but I think 2 channel amp could work, just maybe not as well? 54 knows much more about this than I!
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-18-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone. Looks like I need a 4 channel amp for my interior speakers. Then when I put in a sub I'll add a separate amp for that. And then eventually another amp with tower speakers. That crutchfield amp above is only 130 bucks no big deal. I'll get amps to match the rms's on the various speakers when I get that far. Si?
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-18-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
Brian, look in the thread titled "db650's vs. db651's" for more info on the amps. Those that know more than I are recommending different amps. Or, you can at least follow the links I posted there to get the Profile amp cheaper than Crutchfield sells it.
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-18-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
I have another question for anyone out there. I am planning on running either 4 Polk db650's or 2 db650's and 2 db690's with a 4-channel amp. Question...do I need to get a CD receiver with more than 1 pre-amp output??? Or is 1 sufficient?