Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       11-30-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,
Long time reader here, but this is my first post. I just wanted to post my response regarding the Ecoboost threads here on Wakeworld.

I wanted an Ecoboost and wanted one bad! I looked at new trucks and the best price I could get on a new one, a stripped down model, was about $34,800 for a crew cab. I just didn't want to spend that much so I started looking at Certified Used trucks from Ford. I found an awesome 2011 Crew Cab Platinum with almost every option for $29,800 with a little over 31K. It ended up selling before I could make my move. It was during this time that I started finding all the Ecoboost problem threads all over the internet and then found out that over a dozen Ecoboost F-150's have been "lemoned" here in AZ in the last yea alone. I found that info here on the Ecoboost threads and was able to confirm it through an honest dealer.

Anyhow, I then decided to test drive other trucks and ended up driving a 2012 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab. I ended up buying this truck. I made a great end of year deal on this truck. The original sticker was $36,900 and I was able to buy the truck with an out the door price of $24,800!

This truck drives freaking awesome, way better than my old Tahoe and I actually think it rides better than the Ecoboosts I was looking it. It has coil springs in the back versus the traditional leaf springs and rides awesome! Smooth as silk. I know the coil springs limit towing capacity, but I only tow on the weekends and my boat is only 21'. The Ram is making 390 hp and 407 pound-feet of torque versus the Ecoboost's 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. I understand torque curves and understand that the Ecoboost has a better curve. I also understand the Ecoboost gets better mileage. I just finished my first tank in the Ram and am only getting about 15.5 MPG (mixed). From what I understand the Ecoboost should get between 18 and 22 MPG. I just wonder what the expense is going to be at 100K miles with the traditional V8 engine of the Ram versus the TTC V6 of the Ecoboost. How much will turbos cost? Anyhow, the truck tows awesome and rides great! $10,000 (difference in price between the Ecoboost and the Ram) buys a lot of gas!
Attached Images