Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
Where is a good place to go for a fun 2-3 day camping trip. want someplace i can shore camp so i can leave my boat in the water. I'm in the sacramento area. thanks
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-26-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
What type or ammenties do you need?????
if all you need is a vault toilet and a lake
Bareassa
bullards Bar(boat in camping)
Oroville(floating camp sights)
my home Lake Shasta (dry creek inlet)
Trinity (stoney point)
lake alminor(maybe to far)
Just to name a few within about 3+- hours from you
JJ
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
Check out Lake San Antoino North shore you can camp with your boat right there.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
Inglebright Lake (Spelling) by Grass Valley is boat in and sandy beaches. Drastic water level changes so anchor out with bungee.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-26-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
We just back from Lake Don Pedro. They have sites right on the water so you are close to your moored boat. Water temp was warm and the lake was empty mid week.
J$
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-26-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
Union valley or Ice house resevoirs are great places to camp.. both lakes are full now, the water is super clean and at about 6k feet so it's cooler..
Maybe a litte more than an hours drive from sacto..
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-26-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Tom
LOVE your Quote
Hay where is Ice House res. my family (three WONDERFUL kids) love to came and travel sounds nice @ 6000 ft LOVE IT. How do you get there??? I'm in Redding up by Shasta
JJ
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-26-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
Jay, Icehouse is about 15 miles past Placerville on HW 50. As the road turns to 2 lanes, you go over a bridge. On the far side of the bridge, there is a road, that crosses 50. Hang a left, and follow it up the Mountain.

http://www.icehouseresort.com/
Old     (klpnautique)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
East Park Reservoir is about 100 miles from downtown Sac. (I-5 North to Maxwell exit then go west to the lake) It is kinda ghetto, but still fun and it is FREE, we all know free is good. Easy dirt launches, open camping, minimal shade, and brick poophouses with no H2O. Lake is smooth early (if the wind is not blowing) and in the evenings (if the wind is not blowing) so the riding, or oh my god dare I say, skiing can be good. The lake has a rope swing that is fun to anchor at, a big ass rock (that I am sure is pretty illegal) to jump off of, and lots of area to go floating and swimming. The fuzz is there on the weekends but they are cool if you are cool. Night cruises are the bomb there, too much fun, bring the LED's, lol. The water level is high early in the season and was to the top on Father's Day Weekend, but will get low as the season goes on. Like any lake, learn it, and keep your eyes open for shallow spots. Good luck.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-27-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Robb is right about directions to Ice house..
Union valley is a few miles farther down the road..
when you turn off of 50 it's a two lane road that goes straight up the mountain.. It looks worse that it is, I just put it in low gear and cruise.
It takes about 15 minutes to get there once you turn off hwy 50..
Boarding is great on both lakes until about 11:30 or so, then it gets blown out so you can break out your surfboard.
I was up there monday and the whole lake was butter until about 1:00.
Old     (styk33)      Join Date: Aug 2004 Location: NorCal       07-27-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
It is a 6% grade for ~8 miles. It gets no steeper than 9%. Watch out for cyclists on Ice House road :-)

There are some free campsite at icehouse. Strawberry point IIRC. Toilets, but no running water. Great sites, watch out for weekend partiers.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-27-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
We went behind some outcropping, and had a whole cove to ourselves. This was June before last. Only 4 boats on the lake, for the whole weekend.
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
cool. thanks for all the input. I have been to icehouse and union valley a ton of times, but that was before i had a boat. i never saw boats on the lakes, so i didn't know if they were banned or just nobody goes. I think that will be the spot. get out of this heat
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
cool. thanks for all the input. I have been to icehouse and union valley a ton of times, but that was before i had a boat. i never saw boats on the lakes, so i didn't know if they were banned or just nobody goes. I think that will be the spot. get out of this heat
Old    paul_geddy            07-29-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
I tell ya, the fam and I just spent a few days at SlyPark near Placerville and I was very impressed! I had no idea it was even there?

http://www.eid.org/recreation/sly_park/sly_main.htm

The water was great and campsites were VERY clean. There are a few PREMIUM campsites that are right on the water with very easy access to your boat.

We will go back next year for sure. Check it out!