Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-20-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
Jeff, the $3000/mo does not include the $1650 I pay for HI. Hopefully the $3000/mo will only be for around 4 months. And then the costs for continued treatment will drop. When you get Lyme it's like falling into a black hole of medical knowledge.

The medical society that penned the guidelines is totally f**king over the people who have the disease. Many doctors don't want to treat Lyme because their hands are tied and they don't like having patients who are still sick after they are required to stop treatment.

Edit: Here are some examples of what I'm talking about...

http://www.ct.gov/AG/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284
http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/PhillipsIDSA.pdf

(Message edited by fly135 on February 20, 2010)
Old    deltahoosier            02-20-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that John. Are the treatments you are trying outside what the doctors allowed to do under the insurance program?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-20-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
Yes. The insurance and medical guidelines that the doctor follows limits you basically 30 days of IV antibiotics. The treatment is woefully inadequate and doesn't even take into account what's needed to fully counter the disease. If you don't treat Lyme when you first get it (which requires knowing you have it), then it becomes very difficult to eradicate. And you are lucky to even get diagnosed. Later stage symptoms mimic several different auto-immune diseases and syndromes. Which ironically have no known causes.

My wife found a Lyme doctor in N. Carolina that we went to and got on an extended IV antibiotic treatment with additional drugs to combat other aspects of the disease. In addition, she is getting daily hyperbaric oxygen therapy where you are placed under 2-2.4 atmospheres of 100% oxygen for an hour. The HBOT alone is $135 per treatment.

The IV drugs are around $350/week and weekly nurse visits for IV line maintenance is about $200/mo. The goal is to get better. Getting $800/mo disability is not worth it to have Lyme. Unfortunately for many people that have it, there is no cure because of the lack of proper medical care. Since my wife is a medical technologist, she had an advantage in researching the disease and finding the best course of action.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-20-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
So sorry to hear that John.

I don't know what to say, but to wish you and your family the best and that I hope your wife gets through this quick and kicks this Lyme disease's butt.
Old    deltahoosier            02-20-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
My wife has edometriosis and that is a auto-immune disease.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-20-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
"Sounds like he was not proposing healthcare but a strategy to fight democrats. Sounds like the piece was writen as what the author thought the memo/ strategy meant to the republicans in it's battle with the democrat party. It is purely an opinion/ speculation piece of the author as to what grounds healthcare was being fought on."

No, major ground was being broken to come up with a good, bipartisan plan, the plan was there with only minor details to be ironed. Kristol wrote to GOP lawmakers that if the plan was passed, the GOP would essentially be ensuring Democrat success in the elections in 1994. Thus a complete 180 by the GOP to oppose the plan.
Old    deltahoosier            02-20-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
The republicans were completely against it during Clinton's campaign the whole time. Yes, if the democrats got it passed the democrat voters would love the democrats a long time. It is not a logical conclusion to say the republicans were for it then changed their minds. I was against it even back then when Clinton ran on it. He turned it over to Hilary to get it done and it died on the vine within a year or two.

(Message edited by deltahoosier on February 20, 2010)
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-20-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
This is the best post i have ever read on wakeworld. The first one third really pointed out why health form will not take place. Partisan bickering and lobbying are preventing anybody from getting together. If the democrats have their way everyone will have the same healthcare and quality will get worse but eventually we won't be able to afford that either. If the republicans have their way nothing will be done because the democrats will always make sure that the peopple who can't afford it will have some expensive program of their own. Either way we are screwed.
True reform is only going to happen when everyone gets screwed. From the rich to the poor. The only true winners should be the people who dont use their policies that much. Preventive care needs to be awarded.
We are getting to be an older age population with less jobs. We have 60% unemployment in this country. There are only 140 million people working in this country and evreyone else wants the same healthcare.
We spend 30% of our healthcare budget on the last year of life. Another statistic we spend 10% of our budget in the last 2 weeksof life.
We have workers out there who retire at 55 years old and get free medical for the rest of their life.
We have emergency rooms being used by people who have abused thier body's their whole life are noncompliant with their doctors orders on how to take care of themselves. They use up their prescritions or loose them and then wait until they are so ill and have to call an ambulance and then get admitted into the hospital go to ICU and spend 2-3 weeks in the hospital and turn around and do it again .
In the last two weeks i have had 2 patients that were being treated in Mexico and soon as they got off the plane they were brought to our hospital by their families can admitted one for 3 days and the other has been over a week. Niether speaks English but that is ok because we have a special translator service that we only can use a qualified translator operator to explain all proceedured and instructions to the translator and then confirm that the patient understands what we are instructing them all to the cost of taxpayers because they are not from this country.
Tort reform is the beginning, and has to be implimented .
Paramedics need to have more protocols to prevent emergency room visits. You don't need to bring everyone to the emergency room. Why bring prisoners to the county hospital for blood draws. Why bring a man to the hospital because he has blown his head off with a shotgun and his jaw is gone and face looks like hambuger with his brains hanging outside the rest of his skull and he has a pulseless heartrate.
Why do we have to pay 70 to 100 thousand a year for someone to stay in a convellecent hospital{This cost does not count their 1-2 acute care hospitalizations every year].
Somebody said the cost of their plan was going up 5% per year. That sounds like a real good plan . You better keep it. Our cost went up 100% over the past 5 years. We were within 24 hours of a major strike of at tleast 10000 nurses because they wanted us to pay anything over a 10% yearly increase. I can't blame them why should everyone else get their healthcare paid by the government and the working stiff have to pay more and more!
We need to reward preventitive care and cutback on costs that don't make sense to prolong someones miserible life.
These thing will never happen in my lifetime unless the politicians forced to look at the real problems and they have their heads so far up each others they are not going to do anything about it unless we threaten to legally make them responsible for this mess we are in. Everyone has got to pay for this and it needs to start with the ones who are the biggest moochers of the working man.
Old     (loveronix)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-20-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
stop thinking that the government is going to help you, help yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4DOQ6Xhqss
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-20-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
"Where did I just hear that recently... "

You probably think maher but you would be wrong. It's actually a very wise man named Gore Vidal.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-21-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff. She's seems to be doing better than a lot of other people who are diagnosed late. She was on IV antibiotics for 2 months before she started the HBOT. We saw significant improvements as soon as she started HBOT therapy.

Delta, those autoimmune illnesses are tough because the medical community knows so little. In the case of Lyme the bacteria sheds antigens while burrowing though the tissue. This causes the immune system to attack the tissue as if it were auto-immune. Ginny was diagnosed with Phemphigus (like lupus), a form of Rheumatoid Arthritis, and they were testing for MS before finally getting diagnosed with what she really had... Lyme.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-22-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
Y'all are talking about the ability to get coverage for XXX or YYY.

Read the other day (and these numbers may change due to the housing crap) but 70% of all bankruptcies in the US are due to Medical Expenses and 30% of those people HAD insurance, but not enough coverage...
Old    deltahoosier            02-22-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
I hear you John. My wife has been diagnosed with raynaud's (pre curser to lupus), has tested positive for rheumatoid arthritis though is not really showing signs, and fibromyalgia. My guess the overall auto-immune issues just cause crazy stuff to go on in the body. The endometriosis is not nice and is a huge issue for women. I don't think men understand the disease and how much it effects women. My wife had tumors that had to be removed on several occasions in various places in her body. Auto immune issues are not good.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-22-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
"Read the other day (and these numbers may change due to the housing crap) but 70% of all bankruptcies in the US are due to Medical Expenses and 30% of those people HAD insurance, but not enough coverage..."

But what would you rather face, bankruptcy or a "death panel"?
Old    deltahoosier            02-22-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
bankruptcy any day.
Old    deltahoosier            02-22-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
Hate to tell you, you start paying for everyones insurance the country and more individuals will be bankrupt.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-22-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
You're speculating.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-22-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Not to mention not listening to the geriatric doctors when they discuss what end of life coaching really is (Hint: It is not what the whacko eskimo is trying to tell you it is)
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-22-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Where in the Constitution does it say that our government can force everyone to have health care? Isn't requiring everyone to have insurance some sort of violation of our freedom of choice?
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-22-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
So let's see, a woman can't be compelled to give birth to a child, but I can be forced to have insurance????
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-22-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
So let's see, a man can be forced into life long servitude to an ex spouse, but he can't be forced to buy insurance.???
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-22-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
"a man can be forced into life long servitude to an ex spouse"

Yep, it's called a contract John!
Old    deltahoosier            02-22-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
What do you think bankruptcy is and what does it mean? Can you tell me one government program that currently in is not in trouble financially? What happens to the countries credit rating when we continue to add to the national debt? Where to we make up the tax difference for the people you say are not insured. 10% of the population pays 90% of the taxes. Don't say the corporations because the money they would pay on their employees behalf into the system would still be the equivalent they are paying now. That still leaves all those people. Who gets taxed and what will that do to the economy? Is it better to have people without insurance or more people out of work/ without less money to spend?
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-22-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
Well we have this goose and its laying all these eggs but im sick of eggs lets eat the goose.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-22-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Yep, it's called a contract John!

Sorry, but it's not a contract.
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-23-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
Believe what you want John, but yes it is, why else do you think your wife is "entitled" to some of your assets.

It's a binding agreement between you and her, sounds like a contract to me.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-24-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
Mellow, it's not a contract. It's the law that provides the entitlement. No contract required. Nor does one exist. Can you produce a marriage contract for your marriage? Has anyone ever shown you one? And I don't mean a pre-nup.

But as you say, believe what you want.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-24-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
The difference in marriage and healthcare would be that it was your choice to marry in the first place so you bear at least part of the responsibility. If we are forced into healthcare then we do not have a choice and therefore we do not bear the responsibility. P.S. marriage is a contract both morally and legally.
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-25-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
John, do you both sign a document? Do you have a witness and notary? Ever hear of a marriage license, which you can produce to someone? Seriously, you don't realize that your marriage was a binding agreement (i.e. contract) between you and your wife?
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-25-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
Its a contract all right, its just that all the small print is missing.
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-02-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
This is the reason most people do not want the current healthcare legislation. This is a must watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxMZ...layer_embedded
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-03-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
So i'm trying to understand why health care is the most important issue right now don't we have 10% unemployment. But if your unemployed dont you get paid from the government and not have health care? Oh I see.