Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       04-02-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Can anyone point me to the right place for these answers?

What are the rules with drinking on the boat? Can your passengers drink while underway? Do you have to be anchored for driver to drink or does the motor have to be off? Can people sit on back of seat with feet on the butt of the seat (basically sitting on engine cover, facing inside the boat with feet on seat, when in a no wake zone?

What are the special rules with Lake Folsom, I know its different. I know you can't be on the ground and drink but I thought I remembered scratching my head a bit when I heard what they were.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-02-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
For that area, you cannot drink alcohol within 100' of shore. Hence no drinking on the beach. No rules for driver drinking, except when you get pulled over. If you are over the limit, you get a DUI. Same goes with the river. 100' from shore.

Now, do they actually enforce this? No. They just arrest you for DUI. Easier to enforce. Besides, if you live in Sac county, and get a ticket (drinking within 100' of shore) it goes against your El Dorado County privleges. I got a ticket for going over 5 mph within 200' of shore. The cop told me not to pay it. I never did. I still register my truck, my car, and my boat. I just will have hell to pay, if I ever try and register in El Dorado County.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       04-03-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
Can you even be 100' from shore on the river? So I can't anchor my boat by the rope swing at Banana Bend and toss back a couple cold ones? I'm not on land, maybe 15' out or so.

I understand the idea of not letting a sheriff see me drinking if I'm driving.....but hypothetically, if I have not had a beer yet, open one up as I'm passing a Sheriff, while I'm moving, and take one sip right in front of them, I have done nothing wrong as long as I can pass a DUI test?

Lastly, in a no wake zone, can people be sitting on the transom while underway?
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-03-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
Quote: I understand the idea of not letting a sheriff see me drinking if I'm driving.....but hypothetically, if I have not had a beer yet, open one up as I'm passing a Sheriff, while I'm moving, and take one sip right in front of them, I have done nothing wrong as long as I can pass a DUI test?

I'm sure that the law would say that this is legal (or rather wouldn't say that it is illegal). Common sense, on the other hand, would say it shouldn't be done. It seems like the only reason someone would want to do it is to bate the police. If you do it, expect the cops to pull you over and check over your boat for every piece of equipment etc needed by law.

In AZ every occupant has to be in a proper seat when the boat is under way. Pretty sure it's the same in CA.

(Message edited by gobigorgohome on April 03, 2007)
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-03-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
While the boat is underway, everyone must be in a seat. no one can be on the transom, engine cover,gunnels,etc.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-04-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
Put it in a cup...
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-04-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
Apparently the driver CAN be in possession of alcohol as long as the BAC is less than .08. Wakeboarding while drunk however apparently is illegal! Who knew!

---

The offense is essentially the same as the California Vehicle Code's definition of driving a car or truck under the influence or over .08%. (Note, however, that nothing in the Harbors and Navigation Code prohibits the operator or passengers from drinking, or from having open containers of alcohol in the vessel.) The criminal offense is spelled out in California Harbors and Navigation Code section 655:

(b) No person shall operate any vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage, any drug, or the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug. (c) No person shall operate any recreational vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane, or similar device if the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or more in his or her blood. (d) No person shall operate any vessel other than a recreational vessel if the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.04 percent or more in his or her blood.

http://www.duicentral.com/dui/boating.html
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-04-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Interesting. I knew about the other rules, but had no idea about riding drunk.... So much for liquid courage. LOL!!!