Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Losmarios)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-04-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
2003 Centurion Ave with 160 hours, or 2003 Sanger V230 with 450 Hours. The Sanger is about $2500 Cheaper. Thanks for your help.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-04-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
Avy
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-04-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
I am assuming that you are looking for a wakeSURFing boat since you posted here...
go with the Avy for sure!... I have a 2002 Typhoon (same hull) and I am very happy with the surf wake.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-04-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
Frank on here gets a pretty darn great wave from a 230. I had an avalanche and the wave- boat was sick. Which has better features? Perfect pass, stereo, built in ballast? Which color do you like more? I think you will be pretty happy with both. Sangers fit and finish will be nicer. Early centurions weren't that great.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-04-2012, 8:50 PM Reply   
I vote Sanger, but I might be biased

Truthfully you cannot go wrong with either boat as long as you are happy with the purchase and on the water. One thing you will find is Sanger owners tend to love their boat and are very brand loyal. I know I love mine and Sanger will be high on the list if/when I move on to another boat. On the other hand Sangers have a low freeboard which may concern some. In my V215 sac'd out never had a problem with sitting low in the water and it is easier to get things in and out of the boat when it is on the trailer.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-05-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
I say Centurion, I look at it from a maintenance stand, 160 hours vs.450 a difference of...290 hours. Thats ALOT of wear and tear on the motor only for a mere savings of $2500? Everyone knows that B.O.A.T stands for bust out another thousand. Its not to hard to drop some coin and reach that amount with trips to the dealer for servicing/parts. With my luck the Sanger would be nickle and diming me well past the $2500 savings and then down time. This is just my opinion based on my kind of luck. I say you'll save money down the road with the Avy. Keep maintenance costs down for more surfboard money for you

Stereos arnt really important to me (Tweakers are gonna rip em' off anyways with my luck)
Built in Ballast..Center tank? Most are ripping out factory tanks and throwin in 1100's in the lockers or Custom sacs. Besides, doesnt that avy have the walkthrough transom? Are you goofy or Regular? (not that it really matters IMO with that model you'd just throw a sac in the walkthru)

Avy's throw a WICKED wave when slammed

Last edited by duramat; 01-05-2012 at 9:14 PM.
Old     (Losmarios)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-05-2012, 9:47 PM Reply   
I was thinking that about the hours, but than I thought about 160 hours means that 2003 Avy has done alot of just sitting. Does that make a difference? I ride mainly goofy, and the Avy does have the walk thru. Will that make an impact good or bad? Also the difference in the price is about $3500 now.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-05-2012, 10:02 PM Reply   
I love my 2002 v230 sanger Big Time!!
i have no experience what so ever with a centurion ave!!
ive only driven a couple different models of wakesurf boats and my sanger handles like a much smaller boat then the ones ive driven!!
the one thing i wish my sanger didnt do was get " chine locked " ( thats how i believe it was termed here )
turning to the left seems to make that happen at times
it doesnt bother me that much because ive got tons of experience in boats but to a new boat owner it could be a very stressfull occurance
my 2002 has huge rear lockers that we can actually put wakesurfers in and you can get 1500lbs of waterballast under the covers ( i have a friend with a 2004 and his lockers are much much smaller but he has more seating capacity )
we surf with a great wave that can push me at 330lbs ( use to weigh that much ) with just 2 kids in the boat and no bags showing
You Gotta Buy What YOU Like and Your FAMILY Likes!! Bottom Line!!
Old     (Losmarios)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-05-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
If the Avy has this sticker does that mean its a storm edition?

Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-05-2012, 11:00 PM Reply   
the thing you need to think about is size of the boat also ...... is the centurion same size as the sanger? that might be a determining factor for your decision ...... as you can never have enough room in a boat!!
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-06-2012, 3:05 AM Reply   
Post some pictures of them both. Frank is right, size does matter.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-06-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Mario, The walkthru is fine my good buddy has that on his 05 Avy. You'd just throw the Fatsac in the Walkthru and some other sacks on the back seat and 100lb brick on the platform and your rollin.

Storm series was jus a package (euipment, bling, extras, etc.)

Size is always important, yes. Bigger is always bigger, yes Would you be happy with it? Thats the question that you have to ask yourself, at what point do you draw the line? Im sportin an Elite V (21ft) I love the feel of the Avy interior its a little bigger (wider and longer) but it feels spacious compared to mine. But, most the time its just me and some buddies and it works fine, so Im happy with mine.

That Hull is proven and alot of the time is the best bang for your buck.

$3500....ya.....My luck I would have to replace the whole motor for double that the week after I bought it LOL
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-06-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
whole lotta sitting..not necessarly a bad thing depending on how it was stored, frequency used. My 07 now has 140'sh hours I take it out regulary (when home)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-06-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
Frank post pics of your wave.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-06-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
My last boat was an Avy and the wave/boat is absolutely amazing. With that said, I would not buy an Avy with the walkthru. You can get a great wave out of it, but the walkethru takes up storage space and makes the sun deck smaller. Sanger makes a great boat and from the pics I have seen, the wave looks really nice. My biggest concern with them is the low free board. I would not worry about the Sanger having 450hrs. The boat is 10 yrs old, so that is relatively light use. I would actually be worried that the Avy spent a lot of time sitting around.

My guess is that they are both running Merc engines. So the internals of both boats should be nearly the same.
Old     (Losmarios)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-06-2012, 10:03 AM Reply   
Pics of the Sanger

Old     (Losmarios)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-06-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Pics of the Avy

Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-06-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
That Avy is virtually the SAME boat that I own (same hours as well) and I am very happy with it as a surf boat... I have no experience with sanger but it looks like a pretty sweet package as well... You won't be dissapointed with the avy... and with the difference in hours, it seems like a no brainer.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-06-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Are you surfing goofy and regular? I like the looks of the sanger more. Also looks like the avy is only plumbed for center ballast. Does the sanger have dual rear?
Old     (Losmarios)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-06-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
I ride Goofy, but some of my friends ride Reg. Not sure if there any built in ballasts in the Sanger, but I know there's huge lockers on both sides.

Last edited by Losmarios; 01-06-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-06-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
i didnt know what " has the walk thru " meant ..... now i see and i personally wouldnt find that appealing

the sanger has no rear stock and that is a good thing!! my buddy with the newer sanger and with the smaller lockers has these 250# hard tanks which use all his small locker space

your interior must be like mine and the size of those storage lockers is WAY COOL ....... im going to get 2 custom oversize sacks so i can fill either side complete ...... we can store boards up to 4'8" in our lockers and have had 2 skim boards and 2 wakesurfers in there together

i have to believe used is used ....... for $3500 less or less hours? ....... have the compression checked on both engines ...... no guarantee which engine is the worse for wear ....... and you can get rebuilt mercs with more hp ( not black scorpions - which have to be total overkill ) for $3500 easy
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-06-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
The sanger will be a better goofy wave because the avalanche has the walkthrough. I had an 03 C4 Avalanche and it had a sick sick goofy wave, but the walkthrough makes it a real pain. Ask about perfect pass and ballast on the sanger. The sanger is also bigger which I like. Here is a picture of my goofy wave on my old avalanche. This is with custom 1500 pound sacs and 200# lead and 250 in the bow surf side.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-06-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
I have tons and tons of wave pictures if you want.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-06-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
The sanger will be a better goofy wave because the avalanche has the walkthrough. I had an 03 C4 Avalanche and it had a sick sick goofy wave, but the walkthrough makes it a real pain. Ask about perfect pass and ballast on the sanger. The sanger is also bigger which I like. Here is a picture of my goofy wave on my old avalanche. This is with custom 1500 pound sacs and 200# lead and 250 in the bow surf side.
I am curious, I don't understand what you mean by the walkthrough and how that affects the wave? The RZ2 and 24Ve have walkthroughs, and it makes it a bit less room in locker, is that what you mean?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-06-2012, 6:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
I am curious, I don't understand what you mean by the walkthrough and how that affects the wave? The RZ2 and 24Ve have walkthroughs, and it makes it a bit less room in locker, is that what you mean?
My guess is that Duffy is talking about how much weight you can run. The walkthru on any Avy is much lower than what is on your Tige. It actually takes up a lot of space in the back locker and does not allow you to run very large custom sacs. You can probably only run 400lbs sacs in the back locker (vs 1,000lbs on a "non" walkhru locker).

You can put a sac in the walk thru, but its just not the same.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-06-2012, 10:00 PM Reply   
Gotit. The walkthroughs on the RZ2 and 24Ve take away maybe 150 lbs or so. Thats one of the reasons I like the new center walkthrough.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-07-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
I have a 04 Avy c4 without the walk through, and absolutly love it.. I can sink the back end and the wave only get's better, I bought mine with 190 hours from Chicago, but the guy kept the boat in storage and every maintance record was on time, I even called the repair shop to talk about the boat. I have never had a issue with it other than new belts and a new impillar. I have plenty of power with the 350 Merc and I know I spend less on gas for my boat then other bigger boat owners do. The Avy is also very easy to operate compared to other boats I've driven. Very happy with the boat and Centurion as a hole..
I am a goofy rider too, but I can't get a good darkside wave with my boat, Duffy had his Avy producing a great wave on both sides. I guess I need to play with mine more but would rather just surf heel side and actually prefer surfing this way now lol.. I have been on Franks boat and was Very impressed with the wave, My friend Malibu Sue has a Sanger with a great wave too. I would test ride both if you can, But for my money I can't be happier with my Avy...
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-07-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcraft View Post
I am a goofy rider too, but I can't get a good darkside wave with my boat, Duffy had his Avy producing a great wave on both sides
Jeff: I would say you need to work on that a little. On my 08 Avy, I could easily get the same wave on both sides and it actually took a little less weight on the goofy side.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-07-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
LOL.. JKW Yeah I agree but I get too impatient and just want to surf lol.. That, and I really like surfing heelside, But I need to figure it out for the darkside riders on in my crew.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-07-2012, 4:15 PM Reply   
Jeff is so nice to accommodate his crew who surf regular that he always ends up riding heelside. The thing is, he is very good at heelside. I can't let go of the rope heelside. I can't wait till we can surf your AVY wave Jeff! I love my Sanger but it's a V210, so the wave isn't as big and doesn't have the push that Jeffs wave does. Although I do think my wave is probably more fun on a skim board with the loose feel rather than surf style. I would love to try Franks V230 next time we are in Cali.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-16-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
@ sue you are always welcome girl!! you coming in may to farwest?

here are pics of my regular wave and my goofy wave from my 2002 v230 sanger ....... taken yesterday
Attached Images

Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-17-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
Thanks Frank! I plan to come back to camp Far West in May and I will definitely hit you up for a ride on that monster Sanger wave. I better start practicing on my V210 wave! The Dr. says I can start surfing the last week of March, for the 1st time since my shoulder replacement. I am thinking about looking for some warmer water, since I will be off for Spring Break. I am soooo anxious to get back on the water and ride with friends again.
Old     (Losmarios)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-20-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
Ended up going with the Sanger V230. Got a sweet deal on it!
Old     (sd_wakesports)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-21-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
Hey Frank that water looks COLD and thanks for riding Hydro-Turf Traction.