Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2014, 12:54 PM Reply   
Anyone know the rms wattage on the old ws-xxx sub? I got one hardly used off a friend for cheap and will be pairing it with an sd2 amp. (too much) and how would I wire this to use both voice coils? 4ohms correct? so that would pos to pos on one voice coil neg to neg on the other and both negs to each other? Help. Sorry I suck with stereo equip.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
I meant to ask (too much?) with the sd2.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-02-2014, 2:04 PM Reply   
You will want to wire it in series. You can download a diagram on out site in the subwoofer manual. One side positive will go to the other side negative. Then the incoming power will go positive on the one and negative on the other.

The xxx v1 is 1000 watts rms. SD2 is perfect for it. Just need to make sure to set it up with a volt meter for the proper power as you can gain the amp down.

You can call our tech support at 877-938-7757 for help on box design and tuning to make sure it is set up right.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2014, 7:49 PM Reply   
Thanks Tim! So I have the sub in a sealed box in the footwell, bridged with gain about half, boost almost off, and low pass set to 30hz. This sound about right for a starting point? I really have no idea what to listen for tuning subs. I got my 410s tuned pretty well tho. Is about 55-60% gain safe on 2 410s powered by a syn 4 with high pass at 120hz on an sd4? Thanks man I love my system!
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-03-2014, 5:23 AM Reply   
30 Hz ???
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2014, 7:46 AM Reply   
No idea man I am asking. Actually I think it was 60 it's at
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-03-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
Mase, the XXX loves ported, it will play good in a sealed as long as it is large enough. You have to remember how big the magnet is so it displaces a lot of airspace. Just make sure you have the right size box. Yes make sure it is not 30. make sure about 80, 60 might even be low. these are all start points as well. gain really depends on input voltage. your sd4 for the 410 is way high. 410's should be on high pass down low, 80 hz. some like them even lower. I run mine around 55Hz. The lower the tuning on the towers, the less volume but fuller sound. cross them over at 120, you get more output but less mid bass. you need to re adjust the gain once you change the crossover as well.

Give us a call if you get stuck.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-03-2014, 8:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superair502 View Post
No idea man I am asking. Actually I think it was 60 it's at
Absolutely no lower than 80 Hz (and I like higher) and here is why.....
Placing a sub in a sealed box raises the 'Q' (damping) and raises the resonance (peak in impedance). A 12" sub in a sealed box might realistically have a -3 dB down point (half acoustic power) around 40 Hz. That means it begins to slowly roll-off well above 40 Hz. At the other extreme the output is at about half power at the active crossover frequency and that means it has begun to roll off a little lower than that. You want, at minimum, a full octave of relatively flat subwoofer output. Otherwise you have generated no more than a narrow peak response. So you should place the crossover at least a full octave above the sub/box - 3 dB point. Also, the meat (most perceived energy) of the bass material is from 50 to 80 Hz. You would like to see the subwoofer capturing that span in its entirety.
Properly tuning a system is complex and the frequencies will change from boat to boat, system to system, and gear to gear. There is NO one set of tuning parameters that fits all....only a fixed prescription. But the above should give you a good beginning.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2014, 7:23 PM Reply   
Ok I had it set to start at 90hz on the xs-xxx not sure why I put 30hz on here...thanks for the help I will get started on the required tuning and report back
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2014, 7:25 PM Reply   
I guess I like the tower to scream at 80ft... I think that's why I had them so high. Gain was around 60%. I had a friend help me with them in my a22 and just moved them to my a24 without re-tuning