Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-15-2011, 5:29 PM Reply   
My boss is selling a 2006 Land Rover Range Rover, it's a 4.4 305Hp and will pull over 7,000lbs but specs don't always mean anything. So I would like to know if anyone has pulled with this type of vehicle and if so how it worked out. I have a VLX...
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2011, 6:26 PM Reply   
I have a 07 Land Rover LR3 with the 4.4 and it is rated to tow 7,000 and I pull my X2 with no problem. If your trailer has led lights you may have a lighting problem and have to change the trailer lights out with normal lights but otherwise you should have no problem towing with it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
i am thinking about the same tow rig....
Justin, why would you have to swap your led lights with normal?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-15-2011, 8:11 PM Reply   
Im pretty sure LED's will work with the rovers. Not 100% sure though. Cant see why they wouldnt... We tow with an 04 and an 07 supercharged. The 04 would tow our Donzi x-18 which wasnt very heavy and it did alright with it. But that was the BMW engine that in my opinion was pretty gutless and strung out. I think 06's have the ford engine in them which is a much better engine. If thats the case the you should be fine. Im pretty sure we towed our epic with our 04 rover at some point...
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-16-2011, 4:30 AM Reply   
We tow an X2 with our LR3 also. If money wasn't an issue I would have a separate tow vehicle. But my wife really loves her Rover and I cant see having two big gas guzzlers and a car. I have heard that the new 5.0 motor makes a huge difference towing. The LR3 gets the job done is how I would best describe it for us. We were told by our dealer to use the command shift when towing to keep the tranny from going into 5th and 6th gears after ours went into a fault on a steep grade. The vehicle doesn't have a tow mode that locks out the taller gears.
The LED lights on a trailer will flash like you have the flashers on when connected to the truck. This is caused by an electrical current sent out by the computer to check resistance through the lighting circuit. It recognizes burnt out light bulbs based on resistance. There are supposedly a couple fixes I found on some Rover sights. I tried adding specific resistors in series with the trailer lighting but it didn't work. I just turn the headlights on and the flashing isn't noticeable. I do have to unplug the trailer at the lake as the LEDs will flash even with the vehicle off.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
It will pull it but how far is the question. Be prepared to become friends with a mechanic.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-16-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
This is interesting. I would like to hear more about the LED lights and them flashing behind a rover. That would change my decision on it as a tow vehicle if that is true and there is no easy fix. Anyone else have more info on this and how to fix it?
Certain Range Rovers?
Certain Year Ranges?
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-16-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
We pull with a Mercedez ML320. It had issues with LED's too. It had problems with the brake lights, and one side of the turn signals. I had to get a special wiring converter that was compatible with LED's. Once I installed it, the lights worked fine.
I think it was a Draw-Tite.
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-19-2011, 2:19 AM Reply   
They work fine with a lighting converter. Without it, the Rangie warns you of a bulb failure because the LED lights don't draw enough current. I've towed my LED boat trailer plenty of times behind an MY06 supercharged RR vogue and I just ignore the message but it can be fixed easily and cheaply.

I have a 17 year old 4.6 and I tow over 7000 pounds regularly with it. A big tall 27 foot body caravan. It is fine, we've done 20,000 miles this way and would happily do more.

I haven't towed that van with the Vogue as it doesn't have an electric brake controller in it but I really, really can't imagine a problem. It is an awesome car with lots of go and stop and it handles much better than my 1994 HSE Rangie.

In Australia, the LR3 and the RR is rated to tow 7,700 pounds and I would not hesitate to do so. I'd not hesitate to tow a VLX with a RR!

Greg
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-21-2011, 9:10 PM Reply   
To make the trailer lights work properly you need to add resistors to the light circuit to fake it into thinking there is an inductive load like a regular light bulb attached to it. The good dealers know how to do it. My buddy tows his 23 LSV with an LR3 but just upgraded to a range rover. It does the job but you are not going to win any drag races while towing.
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
I had an LR3 for 2 years, and towed TONS of boats with it... no problems unless you are on steep climbs, then the RPMs are high and you're struggling...

Boats towed with ease: Axis A20, A22... Malibu VTX, LXi, FXi, VLX, 23 LSV....

as for the LED trailer issues.. The led's just keep flashing.. wasnt a problem for me.. kinda made night towing safer and also when the trailer was left in the parking lot over night, the flashing was nice. haha... Takes very little power as well, so it was never a problem for me.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-22-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
When I replaced the marker lights on my truck with LED's I had the same issue. It's because of a lack of draw from the LED's compared to a regular bulb as mentioned above. You can either get inline resistors or you can replace the whole fuse in the panel which is made for LED's. a place like www.superbrightleds.com would probably have the larger fuse you would need.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
I haven't towed the boat yet, but my LR3 hauls my race car and trailer just fine (about 5k pounds). We'll see how it does with the boat this summer. So far I'm loving the Rover. I was undecided when I traded in my F250, but now I'm actually wishing I'd just popped for a LR4. I'm sure the new 375 horse motor would tow great. We'll see about the LED issue. That may drive me crazy. I don't tow much, though, so I doubt it. Mostly just a launch and retrieve operation.
Old     (saundo)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-23-2011, 1:37 AM Reply   
We tow our 23 lsv with a 09 TD v8 rangey and it does it easily even with a full car of people a boat load of gear and full tanks of fuel in both we had no troubles. you dont even notice the led flashing and it doesn't drain the battery, we left ours hooked up for 4 days and the car started straight away