Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
..On a 96 super sport.

I'm getting full power on everything, even charged the battery manually before heading out. I'll get a "whirrr" sound when the key is turned halfway, then a "click" when I turn it fully, then nothing.

This happened a couple of isolated times, but has become more and more common, to the point where I had to try several times before getting it to start yesterday. BUT, when it does finally turn over, it starts with no hesitation, reinforcing the notion that it is not a power issue.

This is my first boat, so I naturally want to learn as much as I can as I go along. So, is this something that I should take a stab at?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-19-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
once you get to it and everything out of the way it is easy to replace. When it won't start, tap it good with a wrench or tool and it should shoot right away.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Thanks A-dub, given the description above, do you think it is pretty safe to say that this IS in fact a starter problem?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-19-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
96 super sport - vdrive?
It's super easy to get to on a d-drive, you will have to take the divider out of the way to get to it on a vdrive. facing the back of the boat, it should be on the right side down pretty low, closer to the tranny end of things. Two bolts hold it on, one is obvious, the other is behind it. get yourself a 6" extension to reach it. 5/8" IIRC. There is one lead attached.

YOu mentioned the whirr and click. The whirr sounds like a fuel pump, the click sounds like your starter solenoid not engaging. Your neutral safety switch could be the culprit, but you wouldn't have the "click" if it were out of adjustment. Not sure about the whirr. Does your throttle position have anything to do with it? If so, I'd check the NSS before pulling the starter just to troubleshoot. To check: have someone crank the boat while you move the shifter AT THE TRANNY. If it kicks off with a jiggle of the shifter, your starter is fine and you need to adjust the linkage. Doesn't sound like the NSS since you have the click.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-19-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
FYI, learn how to "jump" the solenoid. It can creat a small spark , so make sure you let the bilge area vent before doing it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-19-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
It could also be the bendix isn't getting thrown completely into the flywheel...
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-19-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
Or you might have bad cables or one of the terminals is loose or corroded. You could isolate it further by getting a VOM and looking to see where the voltage drops and by how much. Do your cables get warm anywhere while you are trying to start? Like by the battery maybe? It does sound like it's the starter though and that is pretty common considering the conditions they live under.

(Message edited by roverjohn on May 19, 2009)
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
thanks, all. this gives me alot to look into.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
where is a good place to get a replacement in a hurry, assuming the starter is bad?

also, I keep my boat at home, so how would I have bring the boat to the lake to test the starter?
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
correction^ "WOULD I HAVE TO bring the boat to the lake to test the starter."
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-19-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
You can start the engine dry, you just don't want to run it for more than a few seconds. And if it's really dry dry dry, like no water in it from the last time you were on the lake, you can bake the impeller pretty easily.

Unless you have a Globe Run Dry impeller & then your good for 15 minutes. But thats another topic.

I think I'd pull the starter & take it to your favorite auto parts store & ask them to test it. If they tell you you need a new one, then ask where you can have a marine starter rebuilt locally. This will probably be your least expensive option. And some shops will have rebuilt starters ready for sale with a core.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on May 19, 2009)
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-19-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
No you don't need to bring it to the lake, you can run it in the driveway with a hose. You can either use a fake a lake or stick a garden hose in the fresh water intake hose, very easy.

Are you in the Indianapolis area? If you get stuck on this and don't have it fixed by next week Tuesday, I'm driving down from WI to Louisville and could possibly stop and help on my down. You could repay me with a pull sometime :-)
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
how do you attach a garden hose securely? isn't it much smaller???
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
stb3,

that's a very kind offer. I'm hoping to get it knocked out before that. If not, I'll drop you a PM.

THanks
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-19-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
I made this thing from parts I gathered at Home Depot for a few bucks. I pull the raw water hose off the v-drive & clamp this one on. Close the valve on the adapter, start the garden hose, jump in the boat, open the valve, and start the engine.

No muss, no fuss. No climbing around under the boat. And no guessing if the fake a lake is on straight or not.

Upload
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-19-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Jack it's not really that critical to attach it securely. If it's not on tight the water just leaks out until you start the boat. Once the boat is started the impeller pulls the water in. Bill's device would work nice so you don't have to worry about water squirting everywhere when you turn on the hose. On our boats the fresh water intake comes up through the white strainer then that hose goes down to the metal transmission cooler I believe. I'm going off of memory. I know I always just take the hose off the output side of the strainer and stick a garden hose with a spray nozzle in it. If you're worried about water squirting out have someone else start the boat as you are activating the sprayer.

I have a 97 super sport and have lots of wrench time in it. If you have questions just pm me and I'll get you my phone number.