Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            08-08-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Well, the 4th stop was this past Saturday and it seems we saved the best for last. Rich Sellers brought up his reverse rotation prop '06 Enzo (which is for sale). As you look at the pictures below, remember this is on a lake with an average depth of about 8 feet.

We also had my '03 Tige for the port side, which threw a nice wake too.

Picture of the Sellers at the AWSA booth

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-08-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
At each stop we offered trophies for first, second and third in each division, plus five unique trophies to honor folks that had improved or rode in a unique manner. We also crowned the series champions after the competition.

The results of the 4th stop were:

Novice:
1st - Chad Payton
2nd - Shelly Sellers
3rd - Jeremy Twelker

Women:
1st - Jennifer Sellers
2nd - Raequel Hoffman
3rd - Alyssa Twelker

Masters:
1st - Jeff Walker
Tied 2nd - Jerry Price & Dennis Horton

Advanced:
1st - James Walker
2nd - Chase Hazen
3rd - Mike Kozacek

The five "most" trophies were awarded as follows:

Most Improved: Blake Payton
Best Effort: Michele LeRoy
Most Unique Style: Billy Bassett
Most Creative: Shawna Hoffman
Most Enthusiastic: Justin Payton

The champions for the series were awarded as follows:

Series Champions:
Novice - Chad Payton
Women's - Raequel Hoffman
Masters's - Jeff Walker
Advanced - James Walker

We had TONS of swag, donated by The Walker Project and Entrust Clothing (thanks Mike and Sean, you both rock)

Prize Winners:
Walker/Entrust Clothing T-shirts:

Billy Bassett Alyssa Twelker
Darcy Thompson
Michelle LeRoy
Brian Thompson
Jeremy Twelker
Mike Kozacek
Chase Hazen
Blake Payton
Justin Payton
Raequel Hoffman
Chad Payton

2nsane Single Board Rack: Joshua Twelker
2nsane Double Board Rack: Shawna Hoffman
Calibrated Board Pintail: Shelly Sellers:
Walker Project F-18: Jennifer Sellers
Old    surfdad            08-08-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
Pictures of the trophies that were awarded.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-08-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
Mike Armstrong of Calibrated donated a whitepintal and he also brought this new Piscus, twinzer wakesurfer. This picture doesn't do the board justice. It's sick.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-08-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
I have a ton of additional photos and details, but it will have to wait until tomorrow. I just wanted to post two pictures of the wake. The first is on the port side from my Tige. The second is the starboard side from the Sellers Enzo.

Upload
Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-08-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
I would like to thank Jeff Walker for his superhuman effort to bring the whole series together. Many said it couldn't be done, Jeff has proven them wrong.
As you can see from the photos we now know that it is possible to produce a very good surfing wake on both sides of the boat. Those that were there got a chance to show what they can do and the runs were great by all. As a judge of all four events I would like to thank all the competitors for their efforts. The improvements from the first stop to the last was nothing short of inspiring. They have all been practicing and advancing the sport. We had new entrants everytime, that shows there is a place for a series like this. Shawna and Raequel Hoffman stopped someone who was surfing and invited them to compete. Thanks girls.
I had a great time at each event and look forward to many more events in the future.
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Dennis, thanks for the props. Your involvement was integral to the success of the series. I would mention that it was far more than judging, we talked of the wake development, scoring, and how to improve the contest with each exerience.

One of the things I would like to mention is that each of the parties involved took a significant risk. Mike Armstrong, Jerry Price, Dennis Horton and Chuck and Linda Payton. We knew going in that there were many things that were against us. The lake depth was minimal, the location was distant, NO organized body had ever staged a wakesurfing series plus we had limited time due to the concurrent activities.

In particular, Chuck and the NorCal INT league stuck his neck out. This was our first dealing and he was bringing an untested concept to his club. HUGE props to Chuck and Linda for taking the risk and placing trust in me and the AWSA.

Also I have to hand out a huge set of props to Mike Armstrong of Calibrated Wakesurfer and Jerry Price of Shred Stixx. They have business concerns that are driven by wakesurfing and successful contests. With everything that was stacked up against us on this series, it would have been safer and easier for them to pass. Instead, they both took the risk and got involved to promote the sport and be a part of the vision that will legitimize wakesurfing as a competitive discipline.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-09-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
Jeff,

I have no doubt in my mind that next year will be very prospering for wakesurfing events because of your vision. I know we both have a plan for next year that I think will bring the whole wakesurfing industry together. Mike (Calibrated), Jerry (Shred Stix), Dennis, Entrust, Xtreem Board, Walker Project and 2nsane keep up the hard work and good things will happen. I appreciate your enthusiasim and professionalism. Surf On!!
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
Thanks Chuck, I'm looking forward to our continued involvement with the NorCal INT League. This season was certainly a pleasure.

Speaking of pleasurable associations. I had the opportunity to work closely with some of the best and brightest in the wakesurfing community. The gave of themselves selflessly for the contest and the betterment of the sport.

It took some trial and error, but by the end of the series, we had sweet wakes. Obviously they weren't the best in the world, but the last stop had the wakes consistent, good...solid with above average faces for both port and starboard sides.

The vigilence of Mike Armstrong, Jerry Price and Dennis helped us get the wakes dialed. I would also like to thank Tim Lopes of Centurion boats for his support of the event by making sure that we got a decent starboard wake. He hooked us up with Rich Sellers reverse rotating Enzo.

At the end of the series I recognized Chuck, Mike, Jerry and Dennis with a small plague commemorating the achievement and their efforts. As we see wakesurfing competitions sprout across the country, these men are the foundation of that.

Pictures of the awards:

Chuck Payton of Norcal INT League

Upload

Jerry Price (Shred Stixx), the grandfather of wakesurfing.

Upload

Mike Armstrong (Calibrated) the most progressive member of the AWSA

Upload

Dennis (Big Kahuna) Horton the calming influence on the AWSA :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
On to some pictures of the action. We split the contest up and ran the port side boat first, finishing up with the starboard side boat. I have the pictures in that order, so will post those now. Check back for the starboard postings :-)

The Advanced division was an exceptionally close race between Chase and James and the boys really stepped up their game for this contest. Chase floated and effortless 3 and threw grabbed aerials, like this one, that belied how difficult the trick is. At one point, he tossed an aerial 180 and slid down the surface of the wake, backside switch, before bringing the board around. Very sweet.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
James threw numerous aerials and landed 5 surface threes, he also attempted 4 shuvits, landing one, which he then threw to backside switch and missed his body varial trying to bring himself back to frontside regular - sick SICK combo move. :-)

Bottom of an aerial for James.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Billy "Buckshot" Basset aka the Billmeister. :-) Billy was throwing some mean lipslides and made sure the series leaders knew they had to beat him too! Billy threw an aggressive 3 at the end of his run that he came close to landing. Sweet ride Bill! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
The women's division had a surprize entrant with Jennifer Sellers (2nd at the '05 Worlds in the Women's Open) participating. We also saw substantial improvement in rides from all the competitors.

Darcy (third stop winner) riding a red JaMako

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
My lovely wife, Judy...now does that lady know how to have fun, or what? :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
We had a new entrant for the final contest, thanks for joining in the fun, Michele! Everyone mentioned how pleasant you were. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
Raequel, NorCal INT League Wakesurfing Women's Division champion and wakeboarding star. Check for her in the upcoming Chick Flick this fall.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
The veteran's division was mostly meant to allow the organizers the opportunity to ride!!!!! :-) It turned out to be great fun and we did some styling too.

Newcomer to the series, Brian riding the red JaMako. Thanks for participating Brian, and great ride! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
Jerry showing us ALL how it's done. He dropped to his knees, mid ride, paddling back in. It also gives you a wonderful aerobic workout! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Check me out! :-) I got extra points for riding with a 7,000 pound PFD! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
On to the darkside...eerrr, I mean starboard side. :-) The novice division was a close race also, going into this final stop it was tied, but
Chad racked up the win. Chad showing the style that gave him the Championship!

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
Josh, one of the winningest Novices, showing his mad skills.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
Justin, ripping it up.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
Another new entrant this stop was Shelly, she made the podium on this ride.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
The women's division heated up this stop, with new entrants and big performances. Alyssa was one of those throwing down a huge pass, this is her on her way to the podium.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
Check that picture Alyssa, backside!!!!!
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
Shawna, another wakeboarding star that crosses over to wakesurfing - look for Shawna in the upcoming Chick Flick, too.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
And the winner is...Jennifer. Many of you may remember Jennifer from last years women's open at the world's where she scored second. On this run she threw a prone board transfer to this Phase 5, you can see her getting to her feet.

Sweet ride Jennifer!

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
In the Masters, Dennis is the only darkside rider. Check that style! Big Kahuna walking the board. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
Mike was showing some serious skills in the novice division, so we bumped him into advanced. Her is Wakeskate Mike on the new Calibrated Piscus, now THAT is a serious lipslide! :-) and this picture shows why he's in the advanced divsion.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
On to the podum pic's. The 4th stop Novice Division winners, Chad, Shelly and Jeremy. Congratulations folks!

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
Women's division winners Jennifer, Raequel and Alyssa. Congartulations to the ladies.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Masters division - who's the man?! :-) Great ride guys! Me, Jerry and Dennis.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
Advanced Division winners! These folks can RIDE! Congratulations to James, Chase and Mike. Representing Walker Project, Shred Stixx and Calibrated.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
Our "most" winners, from left:

Blake, Michele, Billy, Justin and Shawna

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-09-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Drum roll please... :-)

Series champions, from far right.

James - Advanced
Chad - Novice
Raequel - Womens

All won two tier, green trophies commemorating their championship. Congratulations!!!!!!

Upload
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       08-09-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff,
Just wanted to send out a big thank you. We had a great time last weekend! Hanging out with the Hoffman girls family (they are the ones who invited me!) and we really enjoyed meeting all of you guys, Jeff, Judy, Dennis, Jerry! Thanks for the pulls and making me feel at home! Count me in for next year! And Jerry, I'll be emailing you, really want to try one of your boards! THANKS AGAIN!
Old     (shawna_h)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-09-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
Hello Jeff and the rest of the walker family,
I wanted to thank you so much for putting on the wakesurfing competitions! I had so much fun every time you guys came! Also, I love the wake surf racks that I won! They're awesome! It was so fun to watch Jen surf with all of her cool tricks like transferring and getting back up on her belly! Thanks Jen for the tips! I also loved watching James, Mike, and Chase with their 3's and big air! Thanks Chuck and linda for allowing Nor Cal INT's to hold surf comps! Michelle and Terry, I'm really glad that you made it and that you had fun! We'll definitley surf and wakeboard together out on Oroville!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-10-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
I just want to weigh in on behalf of the Twelkers. Great Job!! The kids had a blast surfing, and you guys came thru bigtime with all of the trophies and prizes. Thanks so much for everything. Your passion for the sport shows, and I'm sure that good things are ahead for you and the sport of wakesurfing. Best of luck to all of the INT competitors who will be competing at thw World Wakesurf Championships at Boardstock. Thanks Again!
Old    surfdad            08-10-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Shawna, you are always so sweet. You are a pleasure to be around. Thank you so much for your positive attitude and for competing in each stop.

Peter, what great kids you have, so polite and well mannerd. We all enjoyed the fun and participation at the events.

Speaking of which. I forgot to post a picture of Jeremy, he was hidden between pictures of the judges. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
And now a word from our sponsors :-)

Pictures of the boards we gave away at this stop, a custom F-18 from Mike Walker and a White Pin from Calibrated. Mike from Calibrated was so generous, he not only donated his time to judging, but also had his wife Molly on the boat taking pictures and gave us 4 boards, one for each stop. He is truly the most supportive manufacturer out there.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
Winners of the boards - some families have all the luck! :-) Jennifer with the F-18 and Shelly with the Calibrated Pintail.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
Michele, I didn't see your post in there! You are so welcome and we'll see you next year!
Old    surfdad            08-10-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
2nsane ( http://www.2nsane.com/ ) donated two wakesurf racks, the total value was in the $1,200 range!!!!! Shawna and Josh were the lucky recipients. HUGE MEGA PROPS to 2nsane for the killer prizes.

Upload
Upload