Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    abadsvt            07-13-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
I am just getting back into the boating life and i have noticed the amount of boats at local lakes have doubled since i last went out. It has been roughly 4+ years since i was really into the lake scene. I used to be able to wakeboarding during the weekdays and get perfect glass. Now on wednesdays i go out to the lake at 3:30pm and theres no glassy water and 50+ boats on the lake. I have also noticed as i drive though my town the amount of boats (expensives ones to say the least) are everywhere. Is it the newest trend or do people just have tons of extra money to spend? What do we do if this amount of people buy new boats each year? There is only so many lakes around. Sorry i think i am just venting since i haven't got any nice water to board in for a while due to all the people on the lakes.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-13-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
3:30 PM, now there is some dedication. Maybe some of the people who have actually been riding in the last four years look at you the same way.

You are probably correct that there are alot more boats out there, even since I have been riding for the last 5 yrs it's gotten alot bigger.

Haul your ass out of bed and do the dawn patrol thing. It's also the heart of summer, the lakes are simply crowded. Spring and Fall tend to be best and definately have to get out of bed early.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-13-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
50 plus on a wednesday? Find a new lake....
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-13-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
I am with Flux turn that PM to AM and now you get some GREAT H2O.
there is nothing like slammin beers at 6:00 AM on the lake with your best buds RIPPIN the glass
JJ
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
Part of what you are seeing is the affect of the 30 year boat loan. With relatively little money down nearly anyone can afford the payments of a $65,000 boat over 30 years. Now more people are buying boats instead of bummin' rides. Great for the sport, tough on the water.
Old    abadsvt            07-13-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
I wish i can go crack of dawn boarding but i have to work m-f and i live 30-40 mins from the lake. I am just guessing about the amount of boat on the water but it seems like there is alot. Hey JJ i agree 100%. Something about ripping through glass on a wakeboard and the sounds the water makes is unbelievable feeling!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-13-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
Haha jaybird, I wait until 9:00 to have my first beer o the day. Maybe i am waiting too long??

Sorry if I came off harsh Josh, but you gotta get there early, especially in the middle of the summer when everyone is trying to justify those winter boat payments.

I am M-F too and there is no lake worth trailering to in the evenings, so I am fooked. Weekends at dawn is what I get and I get the glass when it's there.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-13-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
Yo Flux BEER is for breakfast its always 9:00 somewhere
JJ
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-13-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
With gas prices and interest rates going up conditions should improve... people will still take the boats out but they will be more likely to sit in a cove all day.

Well, one can hope!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-13-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
Move to northern Michigan. I can guarentee you won't have crowded lake problems.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-13-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
30 year boat loans? I didn't even know they had such a thing (not for me). WOW I don't even want to think about how much the bank is making in interest..
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2006, 12:36 AM Reply   
Michigan? NO thanks! We got mo bounce in Cali! How many months do you get to ride a year up there?

BTW How many hours on the new toy?

(Message edited by attila916 on July 14, 2006)
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-14-2006, 2:38 AM Reply   
"Beer, it's more than just a breakfast beverage."
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
In MI we start riding in April and end usually about Thanksgiving.

If you can afford it - private water.