Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    footin_farley            03-27-2005, 1:28 AM Reply   
Does anybody have an opinion on what the best prop is for the 8.1L L-18?
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-27-2005, 6:22 AM Reply   
A Really big one...Which boat year make and model would help.
Old    footin_farley            03-27-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
2005 X-45
Old    footin_farley            03-27-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
I was thinking a 14" with a 17 pitch 4-blade stainless
Old    str8jkt            03-27-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
What came stock and how is it?

My Malibu came with a 14X20 and it is ok, but could use a little boost when weighted so I tried a Cutter 14X18, what a POS. It felt like the trans was slipping BAD and it vibrated. Not near enough prop.

Sorry, I don't know what size you should get but I know what brand NOT to get.

Post you results, I am still thinking about trying another prop.
Old    footin_farley            03-27-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
Wow 3D sounds like a nightmare. I haven't gotten the boat yet, it is on order. I am buying a prop after the fact so I wanted to get some input. I will post what comes stock when it comes in. It is supposed to be in around mid-April. Which Malibu do you own? I know that the optimum prop will top out at about 5400rpm at full throttle for the engine, I just don't want to go through 5 iterations before I get the right one.

(Message edited by footin_farley on March 27, 2005)
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-28-2005, 12:07 AM Reply   
I'll hop in, I'm looking at the same for an '04 X-Star. I think one guy (airplanedoc??) tried a few diff. combos. Let's hear it guys with 8.1's.
Old    grud8            03-28-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
Another question might be: Which is better for a big block engine brass or stainless?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-28-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Id give acme props a call and see what they reccommend. There tech department is great there. I just ordered an acme this week nothing can touch a CNC machine!
Old    str8jkt            03-28-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
I have the Malibu 25 footer. The 8.1 is great and the standard prop is a ACME 14X20. I am not sure if I can improve on it. I really just responded as a warning if you want to call it that as the Cutter props off ebay are so cheap they are a tempting spare but my experience was as you say a nightmare and any time a company craps all over you all you can do is share your experience. I see MC has some 14.5X??? props for the 8.1 and wonder if that would be good for mine. I know that seems like the wrong direction but from what I have seen MC doesn't use anything else on the 8.1. OJ makes those props but I don't think I will be daring enough to try any more props. I'll probably pick up another 14X20 as a spare just in case. It's a good all around prop and not so bad even when weighted, but it could always be better.....
Old    plane_doc            03-31-2005, 5:26 AM Reply   
After trying several different props I found the best all around prop to be 14.5x21. I personally run the Stainless verson but the CNC nibral might be a better choice.
Old    busstufj            04-17-2005, 4:04 AM Reply   
Any idea what the stainless 14.5 x 21 would sell for?