Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-25-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever gotten the rope stuck in the prop on an inboard? I have a 04' Tige direct drive and my gf got the rope caught in the prop friday. I got towed back to the dock and put on trailer and cut the rope out of the prop. I started the boat again and put it in gear and there was a clunking sound coming from what i think was the tranny. The shaft coupler still has the bolts in it so im not sure what it could be. Could getting the rope caught tear up the tranny? If anyone has had anything similiar happen or any diagnosis to fix it i would greatly appreciate it. Its a 2 week wait to get it looked at and that will really suck!
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-25-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
ive gotten a couple ropes caught, cut them out while in the water and never had any clunky sounds
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-25-2012, 7:28 PM Reply   
I've seen the shaft pulled out of the coupling if the rope is booed to the tower and the boat caught it at a slow speed so it didn't cut the rope. The ropes are so strong that something has to give a bit and that's what happens, you might also want to make sure the prop is on tight, it could unscrew the bolt if it was turning the right direction at the time. A little work to fix those things, but the only thing that got torn up should be the rope unless you go run it before you get those things checked.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-25-2012, 7:36 PM Reply   
Yea she was just a lil over idling speed, she shut it off and we got towed back to the trailer. I cut all the rope off before I started it again. Wasn't taking on any water, the coupler is good. The prop still has the nut and coder pin in it. I could spin the shaft with the prop so I assume that's good.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-25-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
sounds like damper plate to me
Old    9Drozd            06-25-2012, 8:53 PM Reply   
^^^ thats what I was thinking.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-25-2012, 9:19 PM Reply   
Did you put it in gear on the trailer? Or in the water? If you had it on the trailer not a good idea to put it in gear. You will definitely hear a clanking and screeching noise on the trailer.. The cutlass bearing on the strut gets no lubrication out of the water. If the boat was running fine before the rope was caught not sure how the damper plate would have become damaged.
Old    9Drozd            06-25-2012, 10:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
If the boat was running fine before the rope was caught not sure how the damper plate would have become damaged.
It would likely be suspect because in a situation where the motor comes to an abrupt stop through the drive line (hitting a sand bar, rope around the prop) That is the part that is designed to fail in order to save the motor on an inboard ski or wakeboard boat. On an I/O the props hub assembly is designed to break loose and spin, as well as the same reason the engine hub is made of rubber.

Last edited by 9Drozd; 06-25-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-25-2012, 11:41 PM Reply   
I've had coated ropes get caught in the prop and actually fuse to themselves because the coating would melt from friction, but solidify so fast from the water, that we had to take a saw to it to get it off. Never any problems with the motor though, usually caught it in time.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-26-2012, 7:53 AM Reply   
m going to drop it in tonight and hopefully the sound was that strut being dry. I'll post what I find
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-26-2012, 10:27 PM Reply   
How long did you put it in gear on trailer? I hope you did not damage the strut bushing, keep us updated. I am betting the noise was you had it in gear on the trailer.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-27-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
Didn't get to drop the boat in last night, but I got it home and sprayed the strut with water than had my gf put it in gear and the noise was gone! Can't believe that strut was squealing like that with no water. Lesson learned! Big relief, thought my 4th of July was canceled buy if there's no vibrations when I take it out Friday, I should b good to go! Got the new ronix Verde green rope to match the new viva for $109. I should b good to go now!!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-27-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
Be careful- doesn't take much to melt those plastic strut bushings. Any play at all in the driveline will mean bad stuff in the long run...
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-27-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
I put it in gear on land before...what a terrible noise, don't do that. I think you will be fine.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-27-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
Typical Tige quality.
Old    9Drozd            06-27-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
Typical Tige quality.
Really? Thats your only words of advice. Let me guess, you own one of the big 3 and think your above everyone else. Congrats on being the biggest douche on this thread today.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-27-2012, 12:12 PM Reply   
X2 how's that Tigè fault when we ran over the rope and I put it in gear on the trailer? Do you own a basstracker? Haha