Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-18-2009, 7:18 PM Reply   
So my 2 year old loves to get behind the wheel of anything. Boats especially. My Supra has an older throttle lever with no lockout. I'm a little sketched on it this summer. Likely I will be buying a new throttle but wanted your guys' input. I've got a lot of years behind the wheel but it has taught me how quick stuff goes down. All it would take is me leaving the boat running to hop up and grab something, dude hits the throttle knocking me out and damn.

Definitely worth the $350 for a new Morse shifter. I know I answered my own question by I wouldn't mind some $.02
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-18-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
Sounds like cheap insurance to me.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-18-2009, 9:17 PM Reply   
After three kids, now all past 4, I'd say you need that nice smooth shift of the Morse cable anyway. Upload
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-18-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
Absolutely!!!
Couldnt agree more with how fast things go down too. Last year my buddies dad ran his Nautique into the tailgate of his truck. Keep in mind this guy is in his 50's and can still out ski most folks on the lake. He used to tournament ski. Bottom line this guy has been on the water a long time and knows what he is doing. He was sitting on his bolster seat and hit the throttle with his knee at the worst possible time...happened in the blink of an eye!!!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-18-2009, 10:03 PM Reply   
You cant make all situations completely safe no matter how much you spent. If your driving along an a child or pet jumps over the front buy a rubber prop? Why don't you just shut the engine off like you would in your car or make sure your 2 year old is always being watched. This will cost $0.
Old     (dpolen)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-19-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
I had that same issue with my mastercraft when I bought it a couple years ago. I had the Morse MV-3 that was missing the lockout. I was able to just order the lever assembly rather than the whole thing. I got mine from West Marine for $40...had to do a custom order, but worth every penny.

If yours is the same model Morse shifter, the part number is T311354...Hand Lever Assembly for Morse MV-3
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-19-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
My best friend and I have been skiing and boarding together for 9 years. He is the best driver I know, and one day he stood up to try and see something right after I had dropped in. I was about 40 feet behind the boat and when he sat down his shorts somehow got caught on the throttle. The boat slammed into reverse coming straight at me. Thank God he was experienced and shut the boat down immediately. Moral of the story, it happens in the blink of an eye to the best of drivers. We still share that story with everyone as a safety precaution and how to handle a freak incident like that. It was the wierdest feeling watching your boat coming at you in reverse, everything was like slow motion. Good post for sure Matt and Doug!
Old     (fastrd400)      Join Date: May 2009       05-19-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
Matt,
Spend the money. As an officer of the court, and living in the Bay Area I have seen the bodies pulled out of the water, and served the wrongful death suites to the boat drivers/owners. The only thing that could ever be worse than hurting or accidently killing someone else caused by a problem you can easily recafy..............is that same thing happening to your own son.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-19-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
Michael, rubber prop? Come on lets be serious.

I'm sure Matt as well as everyone here knows there is no way to guarantee nothing well every protect your kids 100%, but we can cut the risks down. I think $350 heck even a $1000 to lower the chances something dangerous could happen is cheap insurance.

I'm sure Matt understands wrapping his kids in bubble wrap won't protect them from every danger this world posesses but on the same token he's trying to make the effort to afford his kids a higher level of protection. I say go for it as soon as possible.

The one point I do agree with Matt is you should shut the engine off when you have young kids and you leave the wheel as I'm sure you know your kids well eventually figure out how to use that lockout. Your just going to slow them down!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-19-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Robert that is my point if you are going to have
children in the boat. You should always have an adult watching them and always turn off the engine if you have to leave the helm. Don't count on a $300 lock out to protect your kids.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
One habit I'm in for peace of mind is popping out the neutral button anytime I leave the driver's seat, whether the boat is on or off (though usually off). It annoys my friends when they take over but I don't care.

I worked at a law firm handling defense work of boat injury cases. Awful awful stuff.
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-19-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
My two year old son loves to sit in my lap and he always grabs the throttle. He thought it was great how the boat made a bunch of noise and lept forward. Now I use the Perfect Pass whenever he is with me. When he jams the throttle it doesn't do anything anymore.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
I concur on that 2 year old problem. Twice while jumping up to push the boat away from the slip while backing out my son slipped into the drivers seat...my wife was holding him. After telling her the danger and need to restrain him I decided to turn it off. It complicates my departation dance but its easy to visualize what could happen.

(Message edited by srock on May 19, 2009)
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
Good advice guys. I always try and shut the motor off when I leave the driver's seat and kids are aboard, but the one time I forget will probably suck.

Thanks Doug on the tip to order just the lever. I am going to try and figure out right now what my current throttle is.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-22-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
I feel you. My two year old loves to "drive daddy's truck" or drive the boat with me. About a month ago a kid in my town who was two, was sitting in his dads pickup "driving when he started the truck and somehow put it either neutral or reverse. Kid got scared and went to get out of the truck and was run over and killed. I was amazed that no one was watching him but still it's crazy.
Old    wiz            05-23-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
do whatever makes u feel more comfortable if u can afford it. my dad always had 2 sayings....1. u cant put a price on peace of mind & 2. good aint cheap, cheap aint good
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-23-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
This is exactly why I spent $350 on FAE. Peace of mind on the carbon monoxide issue. I know it's not 100% safe, but still alot safer then not having it.
The morse shifter is safe not just for kids. My buddies wife had short overalls over her suit and was docking the boat. When she got out of the seat the strap from her overalls caught the throttle handle and the boat lunged forward into the dock. Could have been tragic, luckily no one was hurt. Better safe then sorry!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-23-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Matt ,

I when my daughters were much smaller I had you same thought of them touching that throttle, I wanted to put or buy a clear resin throttle knob of a Black WIdow or Scorppions ect...

Never did, but still think it would be different and a conversation piece as well. I am sure it will stir you child away from wanting to touch it or maybe not.

http://www.wiseguycustoms.com/
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
Kevin- HOLY !!!
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-23-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
Shut the boat off when you getting up from the driver seat... You save gas, Hours on the boat, and the enviroment from all the fumes that are being waisted plus then the child can not make the boat move!