Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-09-2006, 6:57 AM Reply   
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I was wondering about other boat brands that have similar hulls or put out similar wakes to the X-1, old X-2, etc. I'm not looking for a debate on better or worse, just what's similar.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-09-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
Everything is going to be a little different. Even the same hulls vary sometimes depending on how they are weighted.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-09-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
I'm not totally up on Mastercraft, but I thought the older Maristar 205 hull is similar to the X2. I know it is not a different brand, just trying to throw out an option.
Old     (hotlanta)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-09-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Not many boats have the abrupt kick and lip of that MC 205V hull. I had an 2003 X2 for 3 years and loved it. I'd think to find something similar you'll need to look for smaller boats (not the beast size boats that are gaining popularity) with a flat hull from the middle to rear of the boat. Bigger boats usually mean rampier wakes, which isn't a bad thing. I'm actually growing partial to the rampier bigger wakes that larger boats throw. It makes for a steadier launch... that's entirely preference though.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
the closest i can think of, and i'm sure i'll get ripped to shreds for this, is a new vlx with wedge. obviously not as steep as the x-1, but a very similiar, progressively steepening shape and abrupt, clean lip. but, like j-rod said, there's only one x-1 and only one vlx. and even then you can have a noticeably different wake between identical hulls. also, a well-weighted sanger v210 looks pretty close to an x-1 in pictures, but i've never ridden one, and pictures rarely tell the whole story
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-09-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
The old Malibu VLX 2004 or earlier, current v-ride will throw a wake similar to the old x-2, current x-1. Weighting of course is one all important factor.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-09-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I'm just curious because it's my favorite wake that I've ridden and just wanted see what else is out there. Great input and I'm looking forward to riding behind my buddy's 05' VLX with with wedge to compare.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-09-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
It's the Mastercraft Prostar 205 that has the same hull, it came in a direct drive and later(99 I think) they made a V-drive.

Jeff, IMO the Sanger V-210 is much more similar to a SAN. Its not as big and thick as an X-1. While being a great wake(one of my favs) the V-210 is different.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
imo, the sanger v210 is more similar to the vlx, and the san is more similar to the x-1/older x-2/older xstar.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
I'm almost 100% positive that it is the ps 205 hull starting in 1995 so there are tons out there. The Prostar 190 hull from '95-'97 is also the same, only 1' shorter in the bow.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-09-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Always interesting to get different interpretations of the same wake. Especially being that wakes can be totatlly different depending on how they are weighted. I've actually ridden behing a SAN with a rampy wake (thanks Craig). I actually think a ton of it depends on how you weight the boat. I think a V210 can be weighted to have similar transition and kick to a X1. I also think an older VLX had a similar wake. I loved the wake behind Christie Fishers boat. If you like the X1/X2 wake, then get a older X-star/X1 or X2 there are a ton of them around and there are some older X-stars to be had for great deals.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-09-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
Looking at your profile, it looks like that's what you already have. Whay are you asking the question?
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I was asking for different brands just because I was curious. Other brands meaning not MC, but I appreciate your input nevertheless.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-12-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
Whoever said the old VLX hull is similar to the old X-2 and X-1 hull has been smokin something. They're very different in shape and when you hit them. Really the only boat I've ever ridden behind that's even close to be the same is a SAN 210. The SAN is even more like hitting a brick wall then the X-1. I actually like the X-1 more just because it doesn't have that trough right before the wake that the SAN has. VLX is rampy, nothing like the other two.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-12-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
Like I said Paul it totally depends on how the boat was weighted. I'd say you were smoking something if you said the SAN wake was the same as an X1/X2. I've definitely ridden VLX's that were similar in shape, size and kick.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-12-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Second that. The SAN wake shape is more like the VLX with the wedge down. But if you don't use the wedge, then the old VLX/New VRide are very similar to the X-1. I think the X-1 wake is narrower, though.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-13-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
'96 and newer on the 205, and the 190 hull is not the same.