Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Here are some real pics of this new boat.

Upload

Upload
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
wanna see more?
Old    bocephus            07-05-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
nah
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
hahahaha
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-05-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
man, that looks nice... outta my price range, I can tell... More please
Old    mendo247            07-05-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Ant-your turning into quite the prankster lately!!

yes i would like to see more
Old    stereor102            07-05-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
here is a full pic. trying to get some more.
Upload

(Message edited by stereor102 on July 05, 2006)
Old    bocephus            07-05-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
Never mind...

(Message edited by bocephus on July 05, 2006)
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
I cant wait for the comments on this
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-05-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Is it just me, or does that tower not look very stable. It might be, it just doesnt look it to me without a front support.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-05-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
sik boat but ya I agree without the front support that tower doesnt look that stable, but I love how far it goes back..
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-05-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Hmmm... that is gonna take some getting used to. I like the one piece windshield.
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-05-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
And damn, the back end of the boat is massive.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-05-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
what are going to go for? when are they going to hit the market?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-05-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
could do without the HUGE MB on the dash, noticed no swival racks? Potential for great bimini cover for the hot days. One piece windshield does flow good.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-05-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
Not a big fan.
They could have atleast had the boat interior go forward to the front of the boat. There is alot of wasted space there.
The tower is not my style.
I think if it had torpedos coming out of those front things and machine guns attached to the tower it would make a great boat for Batman.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-05-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Of course graphics are graphics, but does MB have the market on bad graphics or what????

No offense intended to the MB crowd and graphics don't make the boat. But I wouldn't purchase that eyesore for the life of me. TONE IT DOWN.

It is neat to see boat makers push the envelope with different designs. Also like to see another pickle fork on the market. I would love to have one on my boat.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
the side graphics are...hideous. The pickle fork looks WAY over emphasized, function over form as far as I am concerned. The back end looks kinda cool, and the tower is...interesting.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-05-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
I've never liked the tower's with the rear legs that far back (reverse towers),the rear leg's on the MB look liek they are in the way especially for loading/ unloading at the dock...it forces people back to the sundeck.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-05-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
garret hit it. The pickle fork on the mc's provide a funtion. These dont really seem to, just add another 1' to the boat.

not a fan so far
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-05-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
are those lights in the front of the tower legs?

Why a red trailer?

That pickle fork front end seems a bit wild. It looks like 2 feet of wasted space. That pickle fork front end could be the difference between fitting in the garage and not.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-05-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
great looking boat! not a fan of the tower, it looks unfinished. i hope it will grow on me, while i love the picklefork front end it does seem like a lot of wasted space, i would be really pissed if it didn't fit in my garage cause the points just stick out to far
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-05-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
I think the dash looks great. Other than that, I just don't know. Having been out on my parents X Star I can say that the pickle fork front end is very functional at seating more people and allowing people to enter the boat from the nose. This boat looks like the Pickle Fork is there solely for style.

I agree with most that there will be some unhappy customers who can't fit the thing in their garage.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-05-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
Wow! There is not one thing on this boat that I think looks good. It has so much aesthetically wrong that I think this boat will be a hard to sell joke in 10 years.

I am 100% agreed that the graphics on MBs are pathetic. a

I am also 100% agreed that the picklefork is rediculous. It looks like some teenagers designed it: "Wanna know what would look wicked cool? Freakin' huge spikes sticking way out of the front end of the boat!!!"

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION MB!!!! Not only is this nose dumb looking it's only additional feature is more room in the front at the expense of being able to get in from the front, which you can do with MC's pickleforks and you can do on regular boats.

I've always thought MB has the most boring and plain dash on the market and they have continued the trend.

The tower though just blows my mind. The overall lines of the boat, while not beautiful, are not terrible either, but this tower ruins the lines of the boat in favor of the lines of the fugly graphics.

And while not a huge deal, the name and number of the boat are stupid too. It seems like they're trying to continue their "warplane name" trend; B-52 and now F-23 Tomcat. The Tomcat is an F-14, the F-23, Black Widow II, never went into production. I'm guessing it's a 23 footer and that's why it's the F-23 but obviously the B-52 is not a 52 footer. It just seems that MB has no clue or gave no thought to how to market a family of boats.

All that being said I've heard good stuff about the fit, finish, and reliability of MB boats.

(Message edited by joshugan on July 05, 2006)
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-05-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
I'd like to see what the wake looks like and some spec's on the boat.

The "spikes" on the front end look big enough to mount machine guns in.. maybe to hunt jet skis
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-05-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
I can see why someone might like it, but not my cup of Newcastle.
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-05-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
yeah, I am going to hold off on all further feelings till I see the wake, that might be the largest selling point of the boat.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-05-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
UGHHH....i think i just threw up in my mouth.
Old     (haven)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-05-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
mastercarft could sue them
not for copying, but for making such an ugly boat
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       07-05-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
With such long forks in the front, how does one pull up bow first to a dock to let people on and off. Especially at the boat lauch when you just poke the bow in to pick up or drop off. Looks big
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-05-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
one thing is good atleast somebody has the the 2 things it takes to do something waaayy different. While it ain't going to have a waiting list it's not an exact copy of the
X-2/XStar.

Graphics, nobody could stand the new MC graphics for this year last summer, but you now see everybody flunting them (I don't care for neither, but I like variety on the lake.)

The actual pickle is wasted space unless there are compartments we can't see?

Those are lights on the front of the tower, but the tower does not flow like others have said, I just like how far back it goes, keeps more loud music (I like) out of the boat.

After closer look at the pics on thier site those are swival racks but more like the supra.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-05-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
The transom reminds me of the Epic boat.
I think if you made a rounded or pointed front end on this boat it would improve the looks alot.
Maybe the forked front end will grow on people but like Kenny said, it looks like wasted useless space.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-05-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Well after all the comments I heard about how ugly the Tower on my new Tige' is at least all us Tige' guys with the new towers can now breath a sigh of relief because we do not have the ugliest towers any more! at least our bottom bar follows the shape of the window!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-05-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
Pickle fork tower and pickle fork bow to the MAX. Fugly.

So, the pickle tower evades the CC patent.

Is the massive pickle bow to evade a MC patent?
Old    bocephus            07-05-2006, 5:09 PM Reply   
The Brendel family (Mike Brendel - MB SPorts) was doing pickle forks long before Mastercraft. There were a lot of Hondo's (Hondo was made by Mike's Dad) that had them. They were even made for water skiing!

Upload

This is a 1979 Hondo Ski Hydro

(Message edited by bocephus on July 05, 2006)
Old    mendo247            07-05-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
personally i kinda like it..

so for everyone who dislikes it, my question is..

if this boat throws the best wake of all new boats would you consider purchasing one????
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-05-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
Whats the functionality of the pickle fork bow on a wake boat? Or, is it just fashion (not function)?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-05-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
GD, the picklefork does allow for more seating and on the MCs it allows for a bigger area to board/depart if you want to pull up bow first to the dock. (In this case though it completely takes away the ability to safely board/depart that way.)

Richard, No, even if it threw the "best wake" I would not consider purchasing one. (I'm answering this question based on the idea that there is some best wake, which there is not.) First, One can make the wake behind a SAN/Bu/MC rediculously bigger than I would ever want. So even if Pros liked this wake "the best," I would never need it.

Second, I could maybe find a girl who is the best in the sack but if she was as fugly as this boat I doubt I could ever enjoy being married to her. I'm not saying I wouldn't go for a pull behind this boat but no way would I ever pay even a pittance to own it.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-05-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
Lose the lame name, funky graphics, horrible tower, and about 9 inches off the front of the forks, and you'd have a pretty slick boat.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-05-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
looks to me like they wasted about 2 feet
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-05-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
The pickle fork on the hydro adds stability. What was the point of adding a pickle fork on this wake boat? I think you could add to seating space with out the pickle fork. Not a boat for me.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-05-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
The forks are pretty poor looking. Way too long as others have said. If you glassed that space in, you could have a nice front step and a safe front exit.

That is a very ugly tower.
I think that it will be every bit as stable as the Illusion tower, though. If you think about it, there is a lot of extra steel in the illusion, just look at this as an illusion tower with tubes instead of one huge chunk.

I don't like the big logo on the dash either.
Old     (patrricio)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-05-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
Just a few words:

UGLY, really really UGLY
Old     (patrricio)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-05-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
it look like...

Upload
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-05-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
Okay... there HAS to be a good reason for the picklefork other than aesthetics. If not, the entire MB crew has gone off the deep end.

Altough, I can think of about 6 people I've bumped into over the past week that would think that this was the sickest boat in the world... they all want to purchase wakeboard boats because the girls like them. None of them actually wakeboard
Old     (dmkhnr)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-05-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
Looks like a 20-21' boat with 2' fiberglass pickle forks.
What is the function of the forks, as it looks like a regular V hull.
I'd have to see it in person, but judging on pics alone, that is one ugly boat.
Here's pics of the pickle fork "Cat" I just sold.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dmkhnr/album?.dir=a08c&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http% 3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
DK
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-05-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
Too each his own!!!!! But I dont like it!! Props to them for trying something new. ( or at least new to them ) The X-Star looks so much better and has much cleaner lines than that Pussycat, I mean Tomcat.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-05-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
A couple more I got!Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-05-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
I have always loved the interiors of the late model MB's, I even dig the looks of the B52 V23 Team edition but IMO this thing is over the top. It reminds me of some boat you would see on the Ambiguously Gay Duo cartoon from Saturday Night Live.
The tower moves too much on the current version, I could only imagine the new one being even worse and I think the nose looks like a gian ant eater.
Maybe the big nose will cure the bow rise issue on the MBs.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-05-2006, 10:53 PM Reply   
That tower lookes terrible.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-05-2006, 11:24 PM Reply   
call me crazy, but i think it looks way better than an x-star. i think it's because i am relatively well versed and in love high-performance boats, mostly cats, and hate the bows of the Advantage fastcats whereas the DCBs, MTIs, skaters, etc. have a more pronounced fork and look literally, a trillion times better.

i.e.

advantage:
Upload

dcb:
Upload

that tower looks cool, but i, like most of you, can see some serious design flaws.

the gelcoat, is miles ahead of mastercraft's new picked-up-theboat-by-the-bow-and-dipped-the-stern-in-a-different-color scheme.

for all y'all haters, i'd buy it and you'd be jealous. 8P
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-05-2006, 11:25 PM Reply   
I think it's a beautiful boat, as long as you imagine it without the extended front hull forks, add the missing tower legs, and remove all the graphics.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-05-2006, 11:49 PM Reply   
I think those forks are just for looks, and that boat could do as well without them.
Just my 2 cents
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-06-2006, 12:09 AM Reply   
You could fit a few PoP Products Bags in those forks
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2006, 1:11 AM Reply   
I don't get the pickle fork thing on a wake boat. Cut the damn things off so the boat fits in the garage easier with improved looks.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-06-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
The front seating area in the last set of pics looks huge! That being said, I too think the nose is less functional as a place to get in or out of the boat. On the X-star, at least they put a ladder and anti skid deck. I wish they did that with the X2.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
Richard Estevo wrote :
personally i kinda like it..
so for everyone who dislikes it, my question is..
if this boat throws the best wake of all new boats would you consider purchasing one????

No for two reasons. 1. I think owning a boat with looks such as this, usually goes hand in had with growing a mustache and mullet. 2. Any good wake is adequate for me and I like the understated and classic look.

The inside the bow pic looks great. But when we get back to the drivers seat.....Christ..... Guess my 10 y/o son would think it was cool. Then again, a mini truck with a flame job drove by us the other day....it may have even had a blower and he thought it was about the neatest thing on the road......
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-06-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
I won't comment on the looks. I hated the MC picklefork and 06 graphics, but now they look good to me. I don't really understand the design criteria for the tower unless it's just to match the graphics, but if it's functional - whatever.

Check out how deep that hull looks, and the high deadrise angle. The deck looks like it's higher than the roof of that 1/2 ton towing it. The 2' extensions mean it'll have the running surface of a 21 footer. I want to see boarding & surf wake pics.
Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-06-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
I like it. I like the tall sides so when its loaded you have piece of mind. I like the exhaust down pipes. The tower would look better if the bar kept curving 90 degrees more where the led light is so it would be more stable and would flow. It would look like a semi circle instead of a quarter circle. I Like the crome speaker covers. I like that the boat doest have much hull surface area so it will sink pretty easily and throw i nice wake. I hate the tower, dash, and graphics.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-06-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
Cobe Mickicich had this boat out at donner lake this weekend filming a movie. First I thought it was an X-star but then realized it was Cobe and must be a MB. Actually looks pretty clean but hate that they followed Mastercraft. And the graphics are horrific, but they can be changed...
Old    mendo247            07-06-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
E.J. wrote
"No for two reasons. 1. I think owning a boat with looks such as this, usually goes hand in had with growing a mustache and mullet"

come on dude, mustaches and mullets are saved for the folks with the jetboats, trust me i have one! personally i think this would be geared more toward the guys with 10 boards and 20 speakers on the tower who you never ever see boarding..i have noticed around here that change is not always accepted but these type of things usually take a while to grow on people.. ill keep an open mind.. i also hated the new mc graphics but am kinda digging them now..
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-06-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
MB's banners at the boat show state "Best Wake Period!" We went through all the boats checking fit and finish...MB and Centurion were at the bottom of the list. Looks like they missed the Point with the pickle front. MC's pickle allows 3 or 4 people to sit comfortably and watch behind the boat. I don't think that seat being rounded can do that as well. Like we say...There is an @$$ for every seat and someone will put thiers in that one if it makes production.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-06-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
It might just be the pic, but it looks like the seat back is very low in the front. I imagine my kids sitting there facing back and then falling out over the front when I hit a roller or when slowing down. Needs to be deeper.
Old    bocephus            07-06-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
I wonder how much extra ballast will fit under that bow seating area. Maybe Mike is going after the Epic for taking away the boat with the most ballast crown. If so he's going to need to move up to a three speed tranny...
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-07-2006, 12:57 AM Reply   
Christy Smith-I'm not sure about the wake on an MB because I've never ridden behind one but I can tell you that MB's fit and finish is no where near Centurion (I used to have one and its entry level that's why you pay 2Ok less). If anything, their best attribute is their fit and finish.

I agree with Richard. You will see a lot of "wants to look cool guy" with racks full of boards but only gets in the water to take a leak after drinking a 12 pack, driving this boat. It may even throw a sick wake but its flashy appeal will draw in the posers.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-07-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
Not sure what pics are being used to form opinions, but these pics hardly tell the story. I'll wait and see, and until that time, I like it-graphics aside. Lead, follow, or get outta of the way, seems to push the industry along. And the notion, that MC invented the pickle is laughable. The lakes are full of "pickles" currently with tons of boards and speakers and some dude in dolphin shorts throwing up the thumbs down sigh to slow the ride..... Big deal. As long as he doesn't powerturn his way into the next James Bond film, I couldn't care less. We need those guys to keep the industry alive and moving forward. Somebody has to pay. I see kids shredding behind day cruisers, far more than I see big $ boat owners pulling it...
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-07-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
I wonder if those front hull forks could have ballast in them...now that would make them useful...getting the weight further up front...

I just hope MB has some reason behind those forks besides looks...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Okay from what I can tell the driver does not get an arm rest?!?! And doesn't MB know that we want a tower set further forward so we can use more rope? And don't they realize that their boat looks like ass?
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
ugly as hell... kinda sad
Old    septicwaters            07-08-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
I think this boat looks BAD A$$!! I can't wait to get some in the shop!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-08-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
MB makes about 350 boats/year. Because of their low production, I think they target a different audience than the average. The last 3-4 years they've been on the more eccentric end of design with their graphics. I think that it'll look good now, but in 5 years (much like all their tribal/flame graphics) it'll look odd, much like 70s furniture.

I personally like the boat (today). The tower is a bit wild, but the tower lines match the graphic lines which is a first.

Does the boat fit into a garage with the tower lowered? That tower looks like it only lowers 2 feet.

I doubt there is ballast in the pickle nose. You wouldn't want Ballast above the water line for capsizing reasons.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-08-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
WOW, That Tower is ugly!!! I must be old and uncool, but jeez...

(Message edited by seanmcd on July 08, 2006)
Old     (cranfaster)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-08-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
We took these pictures, this boat looks way better in person than in the pictures. The trailer was the wrong color for that boat,
it should have a black trailer coming soon.
The tower does have docking lights in it and has swivel racks with air shocks. The tower extends all the way back to the rear ski-tow; this should keep the rope more steady and increase the angle between the rider and the tower. We have not seen the bimini, but it should provide more shade than any other boat. The pickle fork provides way more seating in the front, and it handles choppy water much better. The freeboard is much higher, and the swimstep is way bigger as well. Check out www.MBboats.com for more pictures and updates. Upload
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-08-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
I would not take it back if it was in my driveway tomorrow morning though, lol..:-)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-08-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
interesting to see different colors...
Old     (mastercraft7100)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-09-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
The tomcat was out at the sac river today.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-09-2006, 11:51 PM Reply   
I saw that monster in the water today and it looks way better in the water then on a trailer. I saw the interior close up and I thought it looked great. I take back my previous comments.

The wake will be the judge...
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-10-2006, 4:18 AM Reply   
Minus the graphics, pickle, and tower, it seems serviceable. Let's see someone asked the question would I buy it if it had the best wake, answer HELL NO. If my VLX on most any boat with stock ballast can put my sorry ass riding skills w2w, why would I buy something FUGLY?
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
Am I gonna need something that big to tow that beast?!

If so...well, i guess that's how it's gotta be! ;)