Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
Hey whats up guys. Saturday afternoon Charlie and Ben Pigeon(Charlie owner of Tige and Ben, his son) stopped by my parents dealership with a new 09 RZ2. I took some pics of it to post and see what you all think. I don't have pics for all the new additions for 09 but here is a list of all of them.

-in floor ballast
-alpha Z tower
-graphics
-jel coat scheme
-built in trashcans
-bigger LCD screen in the dash
-cell phone tray above speed contol pad
- bimini tops
-32oz. vinyl
-cup holders in the backrests on the ve models
-PCM motors
-swivel nav. light/tower rope hook up on tower
-wet sounds speakers
i think thats all of them but i might think of some more later on. I know that i can't wait to get my new 09. If you guys have a chance you should all get out and check them out.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1220.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1222.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1223.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1224.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1225.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1226.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1228.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1235.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1233.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1232.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1227.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1231.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1230.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/yamaharydr22/IMG_1229.jpg
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2008, 10:10 PM Reply   
i forgot about the built in tower lights. very nice addition.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-07-2008, 11:41 PM Reply   
I've never been a tige' guy but the new boats look awesome.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-08-2008, 5:55 AM Reply   
I like the cut out captain seat for air flow but, it will have the same problems with water over bow as the Mastercraft.
Old     (rarasaurus)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-08-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Do you guys know if this boat has a good wake. I notice it only has 900lbs of ballast. The boat looks awesome but would it be a good upgrade from a 21v?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
The boat also weighs about 300 lbs more than some of the other boats that size. $.02

I currently run a 2007 without ballast and the wake is good for me. At 21 MPH 65 feet back and 5 adults, the wake is about kneecap high.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-08-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
^^^^, Not to many people ride at 21 mph. The wake sucks like most boats w/o ballast.

IMO it's hard to beat the stock ballast of any supra.
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       09-08-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
Boat is nice but whats with that glovebox? Yuuck
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
George contact the guys at Hyperactive Water Sport(i think that the Tige dealer up there). I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking you on a demo with an RZ2 that has ballast. I would also say to take the amount of people on the demo that you would usually take to get the best feel of the boat.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Sam, I've found that a lot of people ride at 20 - 21 mph actually.... at least on my lake. Especially beginner riders.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
Sam has done this to every Tige thread or comment about Tige's. Many people have offered to take him out but not sure if he has followed threw with it. Sam, if you haven't rode it, then I wouldn't comment on that.

I currently have two Tige's (2006 24Ve and a 2007 RZ2) and both boats have been good or me without ballast. Yes, adding a ballast will help but again, I do not need a ballast system at this time.
Old     (rarasaurus)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-08-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
I will have to talk to Hyperactive. This boat looks wise and interior wise is awesome. There is usually something i dont like about other boats but this one is great. I am definitely curious to see how the wake is. The supra 21v is a light boat so i assume water weight would be about the same with both boats filled.
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-08-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
slower speeds, shorter ropes= bigger wakes without the ballast, but its got a little bit more drag so you need to cut harder to get the same line tension and cut speed.
i got one problem with my 20v, when i put the TAPS plate down, with ballast full the front bounces up and down causing the wake to fluctuate. I have to put another 500 pound fat sac in the front in order to stop the bouncing.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-08-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
Sam,

Thanks for the reminder that Tige sucks, it's been atleast 24 hours since the last hateraid drinking WW user has posted this.

Glade to hear that the boat brand you like, profile doesn't indicate ownership, is the best out there.

George,

Most offer ballast as an option, some have less then 900#'s of ballast. Tige's Convex hull allows Tige to throw a nice wake with the need for tons of added weight or drag hardware like other manufacturers. The best thing to do is go ride one for yourself and see if it's right for you as everyone has I a different idea or the "best" wake.
CC 220 = 849lbs http://www.nautiques.com/html/specspages/220/
CC 226 = 875lbs http://www.nautiques.com/html/specspages/226/
Supra 22V - G1 = 400lbs (G3=1200lbs) http://www.supraboats.com/sunsport22/
Malibu 23V-ride = 400lbs std, 500lbs optional addition + wedge http://www.malibuboats.com/boats/ride/23v
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-08-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
TigeMike,

Why not compare the RZ2 ballast to the Launch series from Supra? The Sunsport series is marketed as the "family/wake boat" and the Launch is the "core wake series"... The RZ seems to be marketed as the "core wake series" from Tige so let's compare apples to apples.

http://supraboats.com/launch22ssv/ = 1450lbs stock ballast.

The Malibu 23LSV is the "core wakeboat" from them so...
http://www.malibuboats.com/boats/wakesetter/23lsv = 1350 plus wedge...

Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on the Tige as I think it is a sweet looking boat and I would love to try out the wake. I just wanted to make sure all the facts are out there since you were calling Sam out.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
Good point Nick. Comparing models can be difficult between the boat companies at times. Especially if you are not familiar with the other makes. :-(
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-08-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Nick,

By all means post what ever comparison you like, but I'm not sure you really read George's post or my response. I was simply pointing out that there are other boats of similar size, that offer ballast options of same or less. Thank you for pointing out that some offer more. I did not point this out, nor did a say that 900lbs was the most available from any manufacturer.

From Tige.com:
"The Tigé RZ2 is far more than just cutting–edge style…it’s state–of–the–art substance in the form of performance, multi–sport versatility, user comfort and renowned Tigé handling. The advanced electronics and control systems are simple to use and dramatically enhance the driving experience. The wide–open bow is extremely dry and the comfortable cockpit is expansive, functional and user friendly. On the performance, Tigé allowed no compromise in handling and big water ride. Turning is tight, precise and as razor sharp as the RZ styling. Whether you’re doing double-ups or cruising in the lake, passengers will relish the safety, dryness and total comfort of the RZ2 ride."

Tige markets all their boats as family friendly, multi-use, multi-sport, crossover boats.

"Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on the Tige as I think it is a sweet looking boat and I would love to try out the wake. I just wanted to make sure all the facts are out there since you were calling Sam out."

Not sue what you're getting at here, my sarcastic comment was to Sam's ignorant comment on Tige's wake, and had absolutely nothing to do with the ballast portion of my post, that was for George.

Sam post the same type of BS in every thread about Tiges, so he doesn't deserve anything but a sarcastic, smart @$$ reply. $.02
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-08-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
All I said was the wake sucks with stock ballast; like most wakes suck on almost every boat with stock ballast. I've been very good friends with soem die hard tige owner's...new boat every year the last 5. Tige has come along way in 5 years. IMO for the price their boats were sub par compared to the rest of the market. I have been very impressed with the 09's. Nothing I've ever said is BS....my opinion which in most cases I will gladley back up with facts.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-08-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
I know my tige weight is almost five thousand pounds dry so it's not much of a fair comparision but I can tell you with two thousand pounds of ballast you better have some good tendons in your knees.Most the time I don't even fill them.I havn't had the chance to ride the 09's yet but have heard good things,well other than the deck cutting in the surfwake but I think most stock decks do that.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
Ryan, the 2009's have a smaller swim platform and cut into the wake just a little bit. A huge difference compared to the 2008 surfwake.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-08-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
Da,can you tell me the difference between the rz and the ve?If any
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
Yes, there is a difference between the 24Ve and RZ2. Not just because of the year difference but the performance is better IMO on the RZ2. But, it's also a smaller boat. Hard to really know for sure unless I drove a 22Ve and compared it to the RZ2. $.02
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-08-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
1st post "The wake sucks like most boats w/o ballast."

2nd post "All I said was the wake sucks with stock ballast"

This may be a typo, and could be taken a couple of different ways. You either compared the weighted wake of a Tige to the unweighted wake of other boats, or that the unweighted wake sucks like other wakes of unweighted boats, please clarify. I'm also curious what other manufacturer's have sucky wakes, in your opinion.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-08-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Tiges need ballast? That is news to me. I was under the impression that they didn't need to add any "dangerous ballast or drag equipment." Maybe I'm wrong. Do they still have TAPS and the Convex V hull? If so, I say, no need for ballast...after all, isn't that what they have been saying for what...10 years now.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-08-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
"Tiges need ballast? That is news to me. I was under the impression that they didn't need to add any "dangerous ballast or drag equipment." Maybe I'm wrong. Do they still have TAPS and the Convex V hull? If so, I say, no need for ballast...after all, isn't that what they have been saying for what...10 years now."

You guys are just F'n unbelievable. Dont you guys have anything else better to do other then spew Tige bashing BS in every thread about tiges, and even some not about Tiges?

We're all damn glade that you own the "best" boat built with the "best" wake. It's sad that you have to beat down other's boats, in order to make yourself feel good about buying yours.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-08-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
I a Malibu guy and I Love the looks of this boat. Nice job Tige.
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
i think that the new ones are so nice. love the new tower too.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics. I had no idea the tower folded backwards.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-08-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
I just find it ironic that they defy their own advertising and build philosophy. I mean don't spend 10 years trying to convince people that your boats don't need ballast and attempt to steer them away from other brands with "dangerous drag hardware" (wedge right) and then dump 900lbs in your new models. It either needs it, or it don't. Which is it?
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
tige has had stock 900lbs for some time now. for 2009 they just put it in the floor. with the taps and the hull that tige has it does produce a nice wake for most, but for the better riders they can add the 900lbs and it should produce a really nice wake.
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-08-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
Mike (ponyh8r), Tige mainly focuses on marketing these boats to family orientated buyers, not the hardcore boarder, which in that case you would not need ballast. But in hopes of accommodating the entire buyers market they have the "option" of ballast for those who want more.

But thanks for pointing out tiges marketing saying they dont need ballast or drag hardware, none of us were aware.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-09-2008, 4:56 AM Reply   
Ponyh8r, or is it Tigeh8r?

Where have you been in the last 10 years that you speak of, ballast has been an option on tiges, as it has been on most all other tow boats.

What's so wrong with a company changing it's marketing direction anyway? Isn't that how a company survives, grows, expands, right? Kinda like a tow boat maker putting a pooper on their boat. Kinda sounds like going after the family market now instead of the hard-core riders.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-09-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
EvilOne- that tower folds down very easy. i folded it down by myself the first time I ever folded it. its also right at or below the windshield heigh when its down.
Old     (xpjim1)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
If I remember correctly ponyh8r owned a Tige at one time.

Again it is the sales pitch. The boats were marketed as family recreation boats. The average guy will never need ballast. Add a few intermediate boarders ansd surfing, all boats need ballast?
Manufacters change to make there products better. Why did MC add a wake plate, why did malibu make an automatic wedge? Listen to the customer to make your product appeal to a larger customer base.
You need to stop living in the past. Change is going to happen.
In 02 I had made up my mind on a Malibu. The dealer told me nothing about Malibu boats but bashed everyone else. I ended up with a Tige. In 05 it was the same story.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-09-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
I honestly don't think any major wakeboat manufacture has a downfall big enough for me to not consider buying one.They all break the same,they all share the same basic design and parts sheet.Shy of a few minor wake and interior differences most the boats I have owned or rode behind have the same basic purpose.I have never rode behind a sacked out v drive that didn't through a decent wake and can throw down on any v drive.If you can't you need to practice more and spend less time on the internet.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-09-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Brock, you have ended this thread...thank you so much!
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Bingo Brock.
Old    00wakesetter            09-09-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
If you go buy hyperactive talk to grant and tell him bucky from houston told you to come by. He will get a bigggg laugh out of it.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-09-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
Finally a little truth, without bias. I agree with Brock.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-09-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
From Tige's 2009 website: clearly a change in marketing!

"TAPS2 technology allows the driver to precisely trim the ConvexV hull for a full range of wake characteristics. Set TAPS2 in the down position (1–2) for instant planing, optimum forward visibility and clean, faint slalom wakes. Adjust TAPS2 on the fly to adjust wake size or to trim for optimum cruising comfort, fuel efficiency, top speed or other performance factors. Because of its unique rocker shape, the ConvexV hull settles naturally at boarding speeds with TAPS2 set high (7–8). No need for ballast or awkward drag hardware that destroy performance and can damage your boat."

Every Malibu owner out there be aware that your wedge will destroy the performance of your ride and damage your boat. Looks like Tige is the one bashing other builders. And yes, i did use to own a Tige. I would own another one. I just don't agree that they advertise that they don't require ballast, other than that, I have not bashed their wake or build quality.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-09-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
^^^^^ "No need for ballast"
There is always a need for ballast!!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
Need and want are two different things and a matter of opinion.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-10-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Mike... please STOP spouting half truths. You keep stating that Tige advertises they don't need ballast. The full quote states that "they "don't need ballast to obtain a quality wake". You sound like a politician by selectively leaving off parts of a quote.

Never once did they state that you don't need ballast to obtain a "pro size" wake.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-10-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
Tanner, I copied the quote exactly as it appears on their website...do you honestly think I typed that out? And I don't even know where you came up with "pro size wake". I had that no where in there.
Old    00wakesetter            09-10-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
Anyone that truly loves to ride the wake could give two shats what they ride behind. This argument is sooooooo played out.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-10-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Your right you didnt' say "pro size" wake. But If your not happy w/ the stock Tige wake, then your probably going after a "pro size" wake. B/c that's basically the next level.

Now here's a direct quote from Tige's website just a few lines down from what your quoting, basically proving my point that your selectively leaving parts of a statement out...

Well, Tigé has changed all that. With its patented rocker shape and full trim capability, the Tigé ConvexV hull settles naturally at wakeboarding or surfing speeds, creating tremendous water displacement and huge wakes without ballast. Want to boost the Tigé wake even more? You’ll find that your Tigé needs far less ballast than all other inboards to achive the same pro–level results.
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
BUCKY:Cramm, Don't you think it is about time to change your WW name???????
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-10-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
OK,

Tanner so..what your saying is they contradict themselves in their own advertising several lines apart. My point is...is the ballast dangerous or not. Which is it. You can't say in one breath that ballast will destroy the performance of your boat and then offer it as an option in the next.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Mike, this is what Tige was saying.

No need for ballast. Or, Awkward drag hardware that destroy performance and can damage your boat

IMO, there is more than one way to understand that statement.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-11-2008, 1:26 AM Reply   
Is Ballast hard on boats.... YES...none of us will dispute that. At least not if your sane. Does that mean we don't run it?... Heck no... I run 2200 lbs. Does it affect our handling.... Absolutely it can!!!!.... ever heard of Chine lock???

As for damage from "drag" hardware.... Here's one known example! http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/85862.jpg
I'm not saying this is a typical example.... but it has happened. Thus the reference is relevant!!!
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-11-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
yikes, that will ruin a weekend .... maybe even the entire season.... looks dangerous to me
Old    00wakesetter            09-11-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Big Brandon i tried a long time ago but i will lose my status, and you know how i roll! haha