Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

Since this season we got our new boat and i started progressing really quickly. Its my third season now, and ive been boarding for about 3 weeks this season.
So far ive learned to make the TS FS 180, and my HS BS/FS 180's now, And also a number of grabs (Landed my first method today). Ive also been trying to throw tantrums this week, and i managed toi complete the rotation mutiple times, but each time the rope gets ripped out of my hands once i release from the water, and if i really really try holding on im launched in weird directions. Now what i think is that im not squaring up with the wake enough. Ive read through multiple how-to's, but none really describe exactly how to properly square up. I also noticed i only slightly get "Tripped" into my flip.

So, how do you describe how to square up with the wake?

-Release back hand just before the wake. Thats what ive been trying to do, but with little succes

- Really "Cut" with your heels into the wake like a powerslide?

-Make a tiny little jump and switch to my heelside (Small 90 degree jump) onto the wake

- Push my back leg hard into the wake

Which is best, or what is your own description?

Im easily capable of doing flips on a normal trampoline, including double backflips.

Thanks in advance,

Bob aka Retrow.

PS: Forgive me for my english, im dutch ;)
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-14-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
Sounds like you have the physical ability and the rotation - keep trying.
You said "make a tiny little jump and switch to my heelside onto the wake" - Perhaps your tiny little jump is somehow creating more line tension causing the rope to rip out of your hand. A better description would be to flatten out your board in the trough (no edge) and always make sure to wait for the pop (not waiting for the pop could also cause some unnecessary line pull). Good luck and I forgive you for being Dutch (only because I am scared of Golden Glory).
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
Hey andy, thanks for the quick reply :-)

The little jump was just a suggestion, what i think im doing is keeping too much edge throught the wake, but i get the illusion that if i flatten out, ill just get pulled forward like normal riding position again because i lose all of my speed. How far before the wake can i flatten out?
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-14-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
you should flatten out (let go with your back hand) about id say right at the bottom of the wake. another important thing is to keep your eyes open, when i first learned them i was so frustrated that i wasnt landing them but all i need to do was open my eyes. youd be suprised how much that helps. its also important to let the momentum and wake do alot of the work for you, learn to flip at the very top of the wake, and try to take it up, not out. I dont know if any of this will help you but i know those are some common mistakes, and im stil trying to work on them, keep tryin man youl nail em
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Actually thats a great comment. I do notice im having a hrd time keeping my eyes open, but was focusing more on other stuff. BUt is releasing my back hand on the bottom of my wake and flatting out all i need to do? Or do my shoulders/hips do something to?
Old     (hydrophile)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
I was having trouble with this too, and I got some coaching that helped me land my first tantrum about a month ago. I was letting go with the back hand at the bottom of the wake as well and getting pulled out of whack. My coach had me hold on with both hands until I was in the air, THEN let go with the back hand. Only took a few tries like that before I landed one. Try that and really keep the handle close to your front hip as you're coming off the wake... worked for me!
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
Ill try that tomorrow for sure

Any other tips? :-)
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       07-14-2008, 11:48 PM Reply   
The key to the tantrum is squaring up at the wake and throwing it straight back. Try looking for the opposite shore when you are doing the back flip. The best way to learn it is to video tape yourself doing it. When I was learning it I thought I was throwing it straight back but when I watched the replay I totally wasn't.
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2008, 3:44 AM Reply   
Ill keep that in mind next time too :-)

Any more descriptions on how YOU square up with the wake?
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-15-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
from what you described about the handled getting ripped out of your hands, I'd say you're still cutting through the wake too much and sending your flip out the back. when I landed my first few, I let off my edge so much that I thought there was no way I'd get the rotation but I did. as long as the first half of your cut is aggressive enough, you can drift for a while and still make it (as long as you leave at the top of the wake, not the trough).

I also try flipping a little forward (toward the boat) as I leave the wake. this just emphasizes going over the top and not out the back.

good luck.
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Ok guys, thanks for the tips so far :-)

Went out today and tried 3 tantrums, althou 2 kind failed hard.

try 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9sC8PAMKqE bail
try 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEGUcrpeIuM&feature=user
fail
try 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeCOD3HJvI&feature=user
Bail
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-15-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
thanks guys that might help me land mine too
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-15-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
i do mine like andrew. its also made it super easy to grab just ab any way i want.

i dont even think ab tripping. ride straight up the wake and wait for the pop. i like to take mine straight up and use my knees/legs/board to bring me around in the flip. you're going to make it across the wake if you cut properly so that shouldnt be on your mind.

this has helped me add a grab as well. hope this all makes sense.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-15-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
DEFINITELY not squaring up to the wake..do that and keep the handle in.....basically its like on a trampoline, bounce..turn 90 degrees bounce again then the backflip. hope that makes sense.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-15-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
remember, you're not flipping "away" from the boat....you're flipping from one wake to the other. it looks like you're hesitant to turn your back to the wake, so work on that. your crew should not see your chest during the flip, they should see your profile (side view)
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-15-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
mrboston said it pretty good. Come off edge and flatten out, up the wake as soon as you pop UP let go with back hand and it will throw you.this was my first trick i ever learned. open your eye and spot the landing
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
ok, so as long as i flatten about 1 metre before the wake, and release back hand on bottom the squaring will begin automatically?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
You really need to square up your shoulders to the wake. When you let go with your back hand really think about opening your chest up, squaring your shoulders pop then flip.

It might help when you let go with your back hand to think about your body making a "T" with the rope in your front hand and your arm out to your side and your other arm out to your other side making the cross part of the "T". This might help you open your chest and get your rotation going the right way.

During the flip the tip of your board should always be pointing at the boat.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
concensus: let go before or at/after the pop?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
concensus: let go before or at/after the pop?
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-15-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
i bet "most" would say they let go before, but you could try both and see what's comfortable to you. if it matters, i think the book says before...
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-15-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
To expand on JJ's coment, when I let go with my back hand I like to pull the rope to my front hip. That seems to square me up to the wake. Another thing that helps is to give the rope a second tug when you spot the landing.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Before
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
I am throwing before and feeling tghe kick (not really a triP) but am coming up a bit short on the rotation can't see water early enough. I think I need to pull in my legs/bend knees in air to rotate faster. Can't quite get it.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-16-2008, 4:10 AM Reply   
Something a coach told me to try if other methods fail is to cut in quite hard and then let go with back hand near base of wake and literally look down the front arm that is holding the rope to the tower. This forces you to be 'squared' up, and also prevents throwing the trick too early.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-16-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Bob,
I used to be in the same boat. Here's what I do.

Start about 15ft out...cut in with a progressive edge. Hold your edge through the trough of the wake and focus your eyes on the CREST of the wake (the highest part of the wake)
Just as you see the front tip of your board about 1foot from the this crest release your rear hand and at the same time square up your shoulders inline with the crest of the wake (kinda like hitting an imaginary wall, tilt your head back slightly and keep your EYES OPEN. Spot the water or opposite wake and begin to bring your knees up to absorb the landing.

If done right, the square-up should have trip-flipped you and your 1/2 -3/4 around. Bringing your knees up will help continue the rotation.
Also if done right, about 1/2 through the rotation you will feel a tug on the handle from the boat. Maintain a G.I. Joe Kung Fo grip on the handle and you will pull thru.

I used to huck the Tantrums then a coach recommended this method to me and I never hucked one since.

(From the video's, your losing that pop because you have not edged thru most of the wake because you have been letting go with that rear hand...from what I can see)

Good luck and keep trying. Keep us posted on your progress.
KG
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-17-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
THanks for all of the great comments :-) Cant wait to go out and ride again... Bad weather :< Ill make sure to update you of my progress!

Cheers,

Bob.

EDIT:

Ive got a question about our wake, im riding behind a Malibu vRide, with 800 lbs standard ballast... Sometimes the wake is pretty high and steep, with the wedge full up. Other times, like in the movies i posted, the wake is reaaalllyyy bad and low without any steepness. And, as weird as it sounds, i have the feeling that when we fill the ballast the wake only gets worse...

Anyone knows what the deal is? :<

(Message edited by Retrow on July 17, 2008)