Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-26-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Hey here is a Video I shot on Friday from the back seet of his plane using my Iphone.
(sorry in advance) about the Music in the video I just grabed somthing off youtube to cover up the noise of the cockpit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySF5E4kXNbs

Its a 11:00 min video. We take off from a dirt runway in Copperopoplis and 3:13 min's later we are
knifing into the cove where our house is it's on the Left side of the plane almost at the end of the cove with the Palm Tree's 3:22 in the video.

Then its Up and over and down to the resort for a Low pass.

Up and a stroll over the mountain top and back over the lake.

5:12 We are over the lake and its just beautifull. So stoked to be up and having fun.

We are making our way to the Spillway at Malonies You can see the approach at 6:18
its the Gash in the mountain out the left side of the plane. That's what we are gonna fly threw

6:47 low pass threw the spillway. Crazy to see the side of the mountain just feet from either side of the wings.

Just as we blast out of the spill way and over the lake what you didnt see was a fishing boat at the base of the spillway. LOL he must have been blowen away.

@ 8:04 we get a inter-sept on the water with some guy just out for a boat ride LOL

@9:02 we enter the ski course at Malonies BTW we did all balls @ 150 off @ 170knots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySF5E4kXNbs
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-26-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
Grant, That's really cool! I watched the whole thing.
Couple of observations:

1. Pilots will find any excuse they can to fly.
2. The decal that reads "experimental" would be my excuse not to partake. I'm scared to death of flying.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-26-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
That's a pretty cool video! Thanks for sharing...

Sticker, LOL!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-26-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
What type of aircraft is it, Grant?
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
I've never seen a California reservoir and ... what a cool vid. What a contrast between the two lakes. Tulloch looked small and snaky and was covered with shore homes from shore to shore. New Mellones appeared quite a bit bigger and was surrounded by what looked like National Forest.

What's the story with New Mellones? That lake looked big, scenic and lightly visited. Why is Tulloch so popular, or this difference just a matter of shoreline development zoning?
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
Alright, only one shoreline of Tulloch looked developed. But still, why is Tulloch so popular when Mellones looks equally inviting?
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-26-2011, 2:20 PM Reply   
Pretty cool Grant.

T
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-26-2011, 3:25 PM Reply   
Barry: Here are some Pic's of the Plane it's a Nan Chang CJ-6
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1570612
Jonathan: I think the attraction for many people to Tulloch is the ability to build so close to the water and have a TRUE water front home.
Our High and Low water points are set. Water will never go above the Lake Level 510 mark and your allowed to build right at the 515 lake level. Some of the older home's are actually over the water.
New Malonies is Huge. Its a great lake. You cant build any where near the water. But the up side is you have the place to yourself
Old    bigdtx            01-26-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
why is it so skinny?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-27-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
"why is Tulloch so popular when Mellones looks equally inviting? "

There are more people there simply because there are communities of homes on Tulloch. On a weekend, there are probably more riders on Melones though.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-27-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
Great vid Grant!!
Love the spot when you guys are diving into Tulloch, scrape over Pauls house, through your bay, then roll out. What an E ticket ride.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
Its super cool to be sitting here when you see a fly by. You can see the plane on edge @ the mouth of the cove as it Knifes all the way threw the cove and then pulls straight up and over.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
What you didn't see and I didn't tell you is. I have the stomach of a 16 year old girl. I get sick pretty easy. As long as I can keep in Sync with whats about to happen Im cool. I have to sit at the front of a roller coster to know whats comming and im cool. Kind of like reading a book as your a passenger in a car on a windy road. As long as you look where your going your cool.

So with that said we got gas at columbia. I fly back to the lake everything is great. And then the Pilot decided he wanted to shoot a approach at a strip called "Willys Place"
This is where my friend learned to fly out of a dirt strip with some rather challanging conditions. Bush Pilot Style.

So the approach to Willy's Place is crazy. Its a Up hill dirt strip. You have to curve around a mountain to get to the entrance of the final approach. Your turning at tree top level. Its a hard left then right and then your on the ground all while dropping speed and decending. Its like patting your tummy and rubbing your head @ the same time. It's pretty sketch. But if you know what your doing its no problem.

We set up and shoot the approach and his buddy's are at the end of the strip doing some work. We are 15 feet of the strip. He pulls up just over there head's and go's vertical and then just before the plane stalls he rolls inverted and levels out "we are weight less" @ This point I think we are gonna roll over 180 and be wings level. This is were I become outa sync. He noses forward into a dive and then rolls level. At this point my head was like WTF just happend. He keyed the mic and said "are you ok" I was like Yea just barley. He was like ok lets head back. 5 min's later we were on the ground. I had the canopy pulled back I could feel the cold sweats comming on. I knew It wouldn't be long before I was gonna get sick. We were just sitting on the ground stopped as he was running the engine up before we could turn it off It seemd like forever. As soon as he killed the mag I was outa there and bent over in the bushes. Nothing but clear water. It was purley mental my head and stomach were confused and fighting with each other. I was upset at myself. I love flying so much but my head/stomach dictate the level that I can enjoy it at. Very frustrating. I have been trying to train myself every chance I can get I go up. This is the First time I have been sick in forever. But its like Im always on the edge.
O well, The chance to get up there and do that is 100 times worth the after effect. People that don't have that reaction Im super jellous
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-27-2011, 12:32 PM Reply   
Grant, that first picture of you in the other thread is awesome! You look like a kid in a candy store..so excited you're about to wet your pants, but trying to remain calm. lol!
Old     (rdiestler)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-27-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
Cool video. Looks like Melones is filling up nicely. Oh, and I would have hurled in the plane when he did the roll. I get motion sick easily, I get nauseous watching people play the fast paced video games.