Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    simba            05-10-2004, 5:04 AM Reply   
anyone else have this problem? The rope is less than a year old and the loops rip open from being looped to the tower. All 3 of my sections loops have ripped now. I went to the board shop to get a new rope and told them about it and they showed me theres that did the same thing.

Can you sew them back together with any luck? I really like the rope but they need a better way to secure the loops.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
I haven't had any problems like that before, my jacket is 3 years old now, and no problems yet.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-10-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
you just have to loop them onto the tower so there is no load on the stitching. Use a larks head instead of just looping over the spindle. I have jacket ropes that are a couple of years old with no problems.
Old    tutman            05-10-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
Never had a problem with mine. Jason is right; don't just loop it over.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-10-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
i have two jacket ropes, one from '00 and one from '02 never had a problem with either.
Old    jzwake            05-10-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
no problems here
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-10-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
I get 2 a year and have never had one break/rip. I have had some internal windings bunch up in the ofler ones, but nothing in the last couple of years. If it is legit, your boardshop should warrnty it!
Old    murrayair            05-10-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
Had mine a year now. No problems yet.
Old    xstarone            05-10-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
I had one for one day and it frayed. Needless to say I got my money back.
Old    jpoppa            05-10-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
Like others said, you must not be making a larks head when you put it on the tower. Just putting the open loop over the tower will put way too much stress on the stitching, the rope was not designed to be used this way. To make a larks head knot put your hand through the loop in the rope and grab the rubber coated section towards the handle end of the rope. Then pull this section back through the loop. You'll now have a new loop that you then put over the tower connection. Sorry for the crappy explanation if you already know what the larks head is. I've had my yellow jacket for 3 years and it's still like new.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-10-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
2 years and no problems.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            05-10-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
I've got 2, ones a good 3 years old and the others probably closer to 5 years old and have never had a problem with em (other than the other 5 year old one gettin ran over)
Old    simba            05-12-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
Ok, I was just doulbe looping it,ill try the larks out, thanks guys
Old    simba            05-12-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
OK I went out and figured out how you do a larks but heres the problem with that knot. I ride at 80 Feet and not everyone on the boat likes 80 feet especially my kids. So, what I used to do is just doulbe loop the rope at what length they wanted, leaving the rest just hanging from the tower.

Now, if I use larks, I will have to take apart the rope everytime someone differnt rides because you cant do a larks in the middle of a rope which sucks.

Ropes that are not stitched together and are knotted do not have this problem, you can double loop them with out hurting the rope.
Old    swass            05-12-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
WTF is a "larks head" and why do I need to use one? Is there any mention of this on the packaging or in any documentation supplied with the rope? I sure don't remember seeing anything. It's a FUNKING WAKEBOARD ROPE! If it can't handle the stress (something it's supposed to be designed for), WTF did I just spend (well, OK - not me) $100 dollars on?

This is the kinda thing that really gets my panties in a bunch.

Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-12-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
I hear ya Swass. The literature they give with the ropes is really lacking. I mean you would think that they would have a warning on there telling the user to only tie a larks head knot and more importantly to never, under any circumstances, wrap the rope around your head and yell "go boat".

I feel a call to action.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-12-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Swass, a lark's head is a kind of knot used to attach a rope to a cylindrical object.

Imagine wrapping the rope around the spindle and then running the end of it through the loop to tighten. That's one way of getting lark's head. The other way is to form the lark's head and then put it over the spindle. That's what you'd do in practice.

This method is the alternative to just putting the loop itself over the spindle, either once or with a twist and a "double loop", which apparently causes the stitching in the loops to pull apart.

ron,

You can still use the lark's head and leave your extensions attached. You will have part of the loop on the inside of the knot, i.e. between the spindle and the "active" rope, but that's no big deal. Just push it over so that it's right next to the point where the ropes cross each other and it won't even get pinched.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-12-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
Swass,

I do agree, however, that the rope should stand up to the double looping. I wonder if this is just another case of some product designers not really thinking about all the reasonable usage patterns for their products. Maybe they all use the lark's head method.

Now, I want to know what the how the heck you're supposed to attach a rope to that silly thingy on the back of the boat (you know...the circle with the finger inside). Before I got my tower, I figured out some pretty neato ways to do it but I'm sure there's a much simpler way. How about some instructions for that?!
Old    swass            05-12-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
BUNCHING! I HAVE BUNCHING!

Funk a lark's head AND the horse it rode in on!
Old    blindsiderider            05-12-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
Swass I get the feeling that this is something that you feel very strongly about. Maybe a good Technical Writer could take care of this problem
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-12-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
Yeah, with Salmon Taco's dreams, and Swass over here, I think we could start a 12 step WakeWorld Anger Management group. The first step is accepting you have a problem.
Old    swass            05-12-2004, 3:46 PM Reply   
Take away my anger and I'm a shell of a man.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-12-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
Ron,
You can form this same type of loop at any of the attachment points without taking the rope apart. The knot works the same, and the extra just hangs loose (words to live by, CO?)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-12-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
Oh, Salmon already got that one. Now about this ADD...
Old    simba            05-12-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
If I preform the lards knot with the other extentions on then the stopping point for the loop becomes the stitchs holding the rope together and I already know what happens when you put stress on them. Am I missing something on doing it with extentions on?
Old    simba            05-12-2004, 5:18 PM Reply   
ok I reversed how I looped the ropes together and now see what you mean, thanks guys