Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (noel_peterson)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
Planning a houseboat/motorhome vacation for next year to Lake Powell. Driving from NorCal towing my x-star. Where should we rent a houseboat from if we don't take our rolling turd('88 27 ft. fleetwood)Never been there so all positive and not so positive info would be great.If the camping sites are ok or with hookups we might not rent, we'll see. Thanx for comments.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-24-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
I think Page is the best place to start. It's got all the amenities and the southern part of Powell is the best. I'd start looking into renting a house boat well ahead of your trip. It's been a while since I've needed to rent one, but back in the day they were booked a year out.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-24-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
At Powell you are only allowed to rent a houseboat from Aramark PERIOD!

Check out http://www.wayneswords.com/ for tons of Powell info...
Old    Slingshot            09-24-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
Go to Bull Frog Bay. Its at the upper part of the lake. We did a week house boat trip there 2 summers ago and went from Bull Frog all the way down to Dangling Rope. The upper part is a little more narrow and has more fingers and canyons to explore. If you go to Lake Powell, you will want a wave runner. You can take them into crazy narrow canyons! its cool. I have tons of pic's of lake powell too if you want to see what the upper part is like?
Old     (gumtree)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-24-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
There was a thread on this about 1 month ago, it had a ton of good posts, you could do a search on it. just go to Page, no point in driving all the way around to Bullfrog. Try to reserve a houseboat way in advance, they book quickly. Be prepared for the glass one day, and wind, rain and nasty waves the next. Plan on going up the lake to Gunsight, Padre Bay or even to Last Chance Bay, the further you get from the marina, the less people and better water. Dangling Rope Marina isn't very far from Last Chance Bay, and they have ice cream:-)
Old     (gumtree)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-24-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
I can't comment on RV stuff because I've only camped up lake or been on a houseboat.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-24-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
This will easily be the best trip of your life!
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-24-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
"Dangling Rope Marina isn't very far from Last Chance Bay, and they have ice cream"

Ha ha yes, I love the ice cream there! One time I was there with some friends eating ice cream and we saw this giant guy get out of a boat and we're like WTF? That guy must be 7 feet tall. When he got closer we saw that it was Shawn Bradley, who is 7'6". I would love to see that guy try to ski or wakeboard!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-24-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
The rough part about Bullfrog is that it's just a marina, and you have to load everything you need down. Page is great because it's a town, and you can buy everything there instead of having to lug your groceries and drinks. Plus if you have issues it's easier to find a place to work on your boat, a hospital, and a hotel.
Used to only do bull frog, it's about 2 hours less of a drive, but now we find it's worth it to go all the way to page.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-24-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
When I graduated high school, we took an RV from NC to Lake Powell...one of the most fun vacations I've ever been on. We moved the houseboat to several spots on the lake and just kind of explored for 5 days. I will say that we got very few glassy days and a lot of really windy days instead. Also, there were some roads that were really sketchy driving through with the RV so be careful with that.
Old     (noel_peterson)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-25-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
Thanx for all the info, keep it coming, we need all the help we can get. Has anybody from norcal driven the entire distance in one day towing a boat? It's a healthy distance and I wonder if there are different ways to get to the best part of the lake. Once again, thanx a ton.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-25-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
Heading out next Friday for eight days on the water. We have a shared ownership HB now but in the past we rented. Book WAY in advance. Like a year or so. We go out of Wahweep and hang out in Last Chance for the entire trip. For us, moving the houseboat is a pain and cost too much to drive. That's what the WB boats are for, sight seeing. We used to take jetskis and they are great for the narrow canyons. In the middle of the week we normally make a trip, in the small boat, to Dangling Rope to dump the trash, get an ice cream, ice and, oh yea, shop (wifies).

It is a very fun/relaxing vacation.
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-25-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
Check out www.kayak.com. Last year they had a thing on there for 50% off houseboat rentals at Lake Powell. Saved us lots of money.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
Good point on not moving the boat. Use your smaller boat to scout out a good spot and park the house boat there to stay. Moving costs a ton and takes a lot of time. Had girls with us on one trip that wanted to move every other day........ sucked and was expensive.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-25-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
^^^^^Yea, as exciting as flying a blimp, and just about as fast.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
Another vote for Bullfrog. Even though it's 220 miles farther from So Cal. for me it's worth the extra 4 hour drive.

Much quieter up at that end of the lake, less boats because most launch out of Wahweep/Page and it would take forever to get up that far in a houseboat. They are incredibly sloooow and boring to drive.
The Escalante Arm is our favorite place to stay, nice sandy beaches, and very few boats venture that far from Wahweep/Page.
I agree, once you find your cove/beach, tie that barge up, and leave it for the week! Use it as home base and take the wake boats/jetskis out for your exploring.

From Nor Cal it might be about the same extra four hours to Bullfrog, unless there is a northern route through Utah, but again worth it for me to get to what I think is the better end of the lake.
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-26-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
check out antelope point marina, they rent houseboats and have golf cart shuttles right to the boat... you can neg. the price depending on the time of year. after labor day through the first week of oct. is really nice. i just got back last week, the weather was perfect. going back the 30th of oct to get my houseboat buttoned up for winter....
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
+1 for first week of October. School is in and boats are few and far between.