Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Industry Jobs

Old     (drwakeair)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-05-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
http://www.campchampions.com

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/shoedude21/CAMP/
Pictures of camp life

Camp Champions is an overnight, co-ed, children's activities camp for kids ages 7 through high school. Counselors are broken up into departments: waterfront, sports, fine arts, and outdoors.

Camp Champions is located in Marble Falls, TX on Lake LBJ.

WAKEBOARDING info:

Wakeboarding is in the waterfront department. Camp teaches wakeboarding/waterskiing to the kids. This is a big part of camp. The camp's goal is to get every camper up on a board or skiis. So basically you are trying to get around 300-360 campers up on board/skis at least once within a 3 week time period. Instructors work with youngest campers all the way up through the middle schoolers. For the younger campers we use a boom to start them off and usually put them on attached skis. Don't be fooled though, I've seen a 7 year old wakeboard on a rope and handle on his 4th time on the boat after learning to ski on the boom.

Camp has 6 or 7 boats, all nautiques. 2 are wakeboarding type boats. Usually we run 4 or 5 boats on the water at a time.

watersports claims to fame:

According to the owner, the brother of Chet Raley (Darin Shapiro's coach) either was a camper or counselor.

According to the assistant director, Moak sir, Texan wakeskater Brett Little was a camper.

non-watersports claims to fame:

Willie Nelson sent his son to camp

Former head UT football coach ,Darrell Royal was a co-founder of the camp

Famous 90s singer, Lisa Loeb, was a camper

Waterfront:

Being in the waterfront department, wakeboard/waterski instruction is not the only thing you do. Most waterfront counselors are required to get their waterfront lifeguard certification. Instructors come to camp 3 days before counselor orientation and train/test the counselors. Camp pays for the certification training. This is a real lifeguard cert. course so you are able to work as a lifeguard outside of camp. Lakefront certification, the one we do, is actually a step up from the standard pool cert. I believe.

The other waterfront activities that counselors run are: lifeguarding the free swim time, watertoys (pulling kids on tubes using jetskis), sailing, and swim lessons. I was hired last summer mainly for instructing. I did most of the activities, but they figure out what you are good at and arrange the schedule accordingly. I hardly ever ran the sailing and when I did I had other counselors scheduled with me so I had help.

There is a docked off swimming area in the lake with a basketball hoop, rope swing, diving board, and GLOB (big inflatable thing where one kid jumps on it and the kid sitting on the edge gets launched in the air). There are 3 jetskis. A pool was built last summer with a tanning ledge, kiddy pool, and legit, waterpark quality slides into the pool. In the lake there is this thing called the Iceberg which is an inflatable rockwall that floats on the water.

Camp life/schedules

There are seven activity periods in a day: 3 in the morning after breakfast and 4 in the afternoon after lunch. Schedule change day to day: M/W/F and T/TH/Sat. Sunday is Trojan/Spartan games. As a counselor, you will have a cabin of boys or girls (based on your gender of course) with 12 campers. Don't worry, each cabin has 2 counselors in charge. You sleep on bunks. There are themed dances, a talent show, competitions, camping, skits, etc. You have about 3 nights off a week with a curfew. Counselors get 1 24hr off period per term. 3 meals a day, no bills, laundry done every 3 weeks. There are computers available with internet use that are available during off periods.

pay starts out at $150 a week for new counselor and is based on how many terms you choose to work. There are special bonuses for different things.

Terms are three weeks long starting the beginning of June and run through mid August. Counselor orientation is the week before camp starts. There are 3 different terms.

other cool non-waterfront activities are: rockwall/zipline, horseback, archery, riflery, all traditional sports, utlitmate frisbee, frisbee golf, ceramics, music, drama, go-karts, pool and other games. There is even a half-pipe.

Camp Champions recruits counselors from all over: New York, South Carolina, California, Alabama, etc. We even recruit from over seas, like Ireland and Africa.

The people running the camp are great recommendations.

If you have any questions, just hit me up
Old     (deek)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-13-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
Sounds like a cool gig. What is the typical daily schedule? What is the camper to counselor ratio? What type of equipment do you use?
Old     (wakechik)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-17-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
Hey I'm 23 living in so Cal. If you're still lookin for counselera I'm interested. You can email me at ktlorier@yahoo.com

Thanks
Old     (wakeboardguy143)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-19-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Hey my name is Bryden and i am very interested in working at your camp this summer if positions are still available. I have attached my resume and other info.
application/mswordUpload
Resume 2009.doc (30.2 k)

application/mswordUpload
Cover letter.doc (94.7 k)
my cell number is 613-882-1640 i hope to hear from you guys soon!

Cheers