Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
which is an easier invert? backroll or the tantrum?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-15-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
most common is the backroll but once doing both I think tantrum is alot easier and alot more consistant.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-15-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
I'd say the tantrum. You can spot the landing much earlier.
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Gotta be the tantrum. I started with the backroll but that was before I knew about the tantrum. On the flip side if you get the backroll, the tantrum is easy
Old     (rodeo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
be carefull doing a tantrum. I tried one about 5 weeks ago and have a steel plate and 5 screws to show for it. On about the 5th attampt I landed straight legged and broke my tibia. Knee injuries seem to be more common with tantrums, IMO. I have had several people tell me that the tantrum feels the most natural, but the back roll is not as dangerous. Injuries suck!!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-15-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
Not the best story to tell someone that is considering his first flip.

None of my worst falls have been from learning flips.

Sorry to hear about the injury.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-15-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
I STARTED WITH THE BACKROLL. THE FIRST FEW TRIES WERE AKWARD BUT LANDED IT PRETTY QUICK. THE TANTRUM IS EASIER TO FLIP BUT HARDER TO LAND IN MY OPINION.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-15-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
back roll fo sho!!!
just swing ur head to your back shoulder.... its easy....
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
Yeah thanks Shawne -j/k! I've tried a backroll a few times, been pretty close, I was just curious to see what other people think. I think my worst falls came learning a 360 and catching an edge at the end. How hard do you guys cut on a backroll and tantrum?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-15-2005, 8:54 PM Reply   
You cut hard for both, but at different times. Tantrum you take a long hard cut then back off. Backroll take a short cut, then edge hard up the wake.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
So J-rod, have you landed a backroll? I mean heelside. I would think a toeside backroll is a different approach than a heelside.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
No I have not. Never even tried. That doesn't mean I can't understand how it works fundamentally.

I believe the edge and approach are the same for HS and TS. Short approach, progressively edge hard up the wake to gain height and maintain line tension. Unless you do them like Billy and cut in like a Raley.
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
i agree with paul
it was alot easier to learn the backroll but now that i can do both the tantrum is easier
so i say start with the backroll
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
well to the original poster...... now you've got all the info you asked for but with no difinitive answer, I guess like the most of us your going to have to go out there and learn both!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-16-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
Yeah, Paul's right.

Just throw it Braden, whatever it is, and then come back and tell us how pumped you are about how close you were, or how easy sticking one was. With inverts though, don't hesitate. Just throw it.
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       08-16-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
yeah dont hesitate or change your mind half way through the trick. its bad news.
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-17-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
Over rotation is better than under rotation
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-17-2005, 8:54 PM Reply   
to answer the original poster, imo, a hs backroll is a lot easier than a tantrum, simply because a tantrum not only requires some speed to the wake, but also requires an edge change right before the wake.

i learned a backroll in 1 day (6 tries), while learning a tantrum took me 1 season (xxxxxxxx tries).
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-17-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
backroll - 50+ tries
tantrum - 2nd try
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-18-2005, 12:48 AM Reply   
hahaha..... and I consider the last two posters to be a little more knowledgable then most based on being a little more familar with their posts.

Goes to show you that EVERYONES different.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-18-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
Thane, I hope I'm more like you in that regard than Joe, or else it might turn out to be:

backroll - 50+ tries
tantrum - xxxxxxxx tries

Thanks for the thread, Braden, now I'm pumped to try a tantrum. Five screws and a plate ain't all THAT bad ;-)
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
thought i would throw my 2 cents in. try them both. maybe 1 set try the backroll and next set the tantrum. i had one heck of a time with a heelside backroll, so i would mix things up,keep it fun (try not to get frustrated) and next thing you know i'm landing a backroll and tantrum. tuff to tell which is harder, everyone is different. good luck
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-18-2005, 10:51 AM Reply   
Just started attempting the Tantrum about a month ago. I usually give it four or five attempts per set. That puts me at around 25 attempts total. I'm coming close to sticking it two of the four attempts per set now. I make it rule to stop after four or five so that I don't develop bad habbits.

Braden....just go out and throw one and you'll be surprised that the crashes don't hurt very much unless you rack your nuts in the water. And the feeling of being inverted behind the boat kicks a$$. Have fun and ignore all of those injury stories. That's one out of how many people attempting inverts?
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-18-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
I agree with Jason...just go out and start trying to throw it. If we're all worried about injuries, we're in the wrong sport.
Old    butt_slider            08-18-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
well i cant land either of them but if you have perfect technique you can get it hte first time i just thought of that and it was very interesting i thought