Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (raspy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
OK so im a decent rider and i have been riding the Premier for the last three years. I can do basic inverts tandrum, backroll, scarecrow. And basic spins like heelside fs and bs 360, toeside bs and fs 360. SO im decent But anyway im looking at two boards right now. The Liquid Force Shane 140 and the Gator Prospect 141. Im looking for something with a little more pop and smooth landings. The Gator has an Abrupt Continuous rocker which i dont even really understand. It sounds really sweet but i dont really get it. Any suggestions would be helpful. THANKS BROS!
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
continuous rocker will pop more consistent and smoother off the wake. It'll also take you farther out into the flats where the 3 stage will pop you higher and abruptly. continuous will also edge faster and land a little bit softer, itll also keep its speed up on landings.

Advantage to 3 stage is that really abrupt verticle pop.

Even though there are a number of advantages to continuous rocker boards everyone has their own style and preference so one style of rocker doesnt make it better than the other.

Im stuck between boards right now too. Im gonna try to demo as many as possible.

Hope that helped and ive heard great things about both boards itll just come down to preference.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-28-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
smooth landings and big pop = Slingshot!

Definitely the most fun board I have ever been on!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Hope an analysis of the gator board Harris and gator board Prospect will help describe things, at least on the continuous side and then you should automatically understand the two different 3-stage rockers.

Upload

here is a side view pic of each (one with harris above and the other with the prospect above for better comparisson). The harris is continuous. notice how the prospect looks a little like a "three-stage sitting next to the harris? This is because it has two different bends of continuous rocker in it
Upload
it bends shalower in the middle and then "abruptly" towards the ends, but it does this more fluidly, unlike my cheesy MS Paint pic above. Abrupt three-stage rockers atempt to give riders some of the advatages of 3-stage without sacrificing continuous rocker over all... or at least this is how i understand it from things i have read and looked at... i have never ridden one... just f.y.i. If i have explained this wrong, then i am sure someone else will come in and correct it ;)

NOW, i couldn't find a side pic of a 3 stage and abrupt 3 stage for the same company, but, how i understand it is that an abrupt 3 stage is like 3-stage on 'roids. it has even more of an abrupt kink in it

and to add another "hybrid" to the list is "PROGRESSIVE continuous" which is very similar to abrupt continuous. the bend gets progressively greater as it moves from the center to the tips... also atempting to mimic 3-stage somewhat.

Also, Murray's new '08 board has really taken "HYBRID" to a T. it IS a continuous board AND 3-stage in one, check it out too

AND i second Nate-O in trying out Slingshot. WAY WAY soft landings. if you have not tried one you gota do it. just so you know how you like it. To me, not trying a slingshot (i.e. responsive/rebounding flex board) is like never trying one of the two families of rocker. completely new flavor bro.

(Message edited by wakerider111 on April 28, 2008)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
Also, to add another note about slingshot... since you are on this "abrupt" rocker subject, i would like to point out that though slingshot comes in either a "3-stage" or "continuous" model only, because of the flex, both models are somewhat of a "hybrid." the rocker pattern changes as you edge, loading the power of the board.