Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-21-2007, 11:58 PM Reply   
Looked at different places but can't find info. Does a '97 Malibu have wood stringers and floor? And who has one and how do you like it?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-22-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
No wood anywhere. which model, they had atleast 4 diffrent. Either sunsetter or sunsetter VLX, max out the weight, good wake. Response or Echelon, not much there - Wedge and alot of weight make them pretty good, but small compared to most offerings, as they were designed to slalom boats.

I owned an echelon, and have driven all four of those. Great boats, and miss mine.
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-23-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
I have a 97 VLX, wake is great with some weight. Boat is very reliable for the year, no major problems.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-23-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have a 97 Response. I mostly slalom for which it has a great wake. When we do wakeboard, 400 lbs. on each side of the engine compartment will give you a good wake. Certainly will be able to do all intermediate and some advanced tricks.

Echelon and Response have the same hull that year (if I'm not mistaken).
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-23-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
They do have the same hull. Deck, interior, and gel coat colors(more colors on echelon)were diffrent
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-23-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
I have a '97 Malibu that will be for sale really cheap in 3 weeks:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/478313.html?1185049860

It's been a great boat, but yes, there is wood in some places. They use plywood backing plates to back some little nick nacks here and there, and, with mine, we actually used a special piece of treated wood to replace a fiberglass floor board that was starting to rot, because the wood was a better solution for that location. It's proven to be more resilient than the original floor board. Also, the swim platform is wood I think that was a good idea too.