Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-04-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Some interesting information. Trying not to get too depressed over this as I watch my favorite lake(Powell) shrink daily.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0430drought.html
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-04-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
Makes you think a little about all those nice beautiful green golf courses in the middle of the desert now doesn't it???
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
I am surprised they haven't started any sort of conservation in So Cal. This subject is not even mentioned on the local news. It's actually kinda scary, to think of Mead & Powell becoming dust bowls.
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-04-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
My job takes me to Vegas about every 6 weeks and everytime I'm there I see the same thing:
Extensive watering of grassy areas on the sides of the roads and the medians in the middle of the day when evaporation and wind are at their peak. Just one small example but significant when it's being done all over the parched southwest. Some people just don't understand that yes, the tank can run dry and probably will sooner than later.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Not trying to start a global warming debate, but it has to be considered at least....

CNN Global warming debate aside, West is heating up
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-04-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
The Denver Post and the Arizona Republic have been all over this story. You're right Tahoe this is huge news that should be covered by every locality that draws from this river. I didn't want to bring it up Paul(global warming that is) but as I sit through another 100* day in May(!?) in usually mild So Cal it has a lot of validity. Another article if you haven't had enough.
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~23447~2059903,00.html
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-10-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
We need another El Nino. We haven't had a good El Nino since 1997.
Old    obsurfer            05-10-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
Does this make San Diego Bay and Salt sound better? Ouch
Old     (junkee)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
an El nino would be nice. Arizona needs some water. and it is unusally hot so far this year. 107 yesterday ... and me with no a/c...wowzers
Old     (prior40)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
i just moved to so cal from nor cal last summer, and the water usage difference is amazing. it prety much makes me sick at how little people try to conserve. even with recycling, no one does it!!!
Old    chavezychavez            05-10-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Tim, why would anyone want to conserve... Everytime SoCal needs water, NorCal and NV/AZ just give them more...

Also, after living in Vegas for 6+ years I can attest to the substantial waste of water that goes on there. People just don't get why they should not have a lawn in the middle of the desert.
Old    leftcoastpunk            05-10-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
SoCal contributes nothing to the Colorado River, but gets the most water from it. What I have heard here in Phoenix, is if this legislation goes through, Arizona would lose all of its Colorado River allocation. It is seriuosly b.s. that socal takes so much water and doesnt contribute anything while, az, nv, and co hradly recieve anything despite being the major contributors to the river.
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-10-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
Michael, on the subject of contributing nothing to the river, try this one on for size. Under the original agreement for sharing the water the United States is obligated to send a certain amount past the border into Mexico. Is the U.S. getting any water from snow melt that originates in Mexico? Uh, NO. Is the U.S. getting raw sewage and industrial waste flowing south to north from Mexico via the New River into the Salton Sea? Uh, YES. Seems fair to me! But that topic is for another thread.