Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-24-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
Hoping to keep my batteries in good condition and need some help from people who know what they are talking about. I was going to buy a couple battery tenders that I could just leave connected to the batteries while the boat was not in use, but I want to make sure I get something that will maintain, not cook the batteries, and not burn my house down.

I have two Battery Tender 800 automatic waterproof chargers which would save me some money, but I am willing to spend (within reason of course) money to make sure I do it right. Will these work well? If not what size battery tender do you suggest I invest in?

BTW so I don't get flamed, I did a search and didn't find much that was posted recently.

(Message edited by ctimrun on January 24, 2010)
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-24-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
This is what I currently have......

Upload
Old     (cwfletch)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-24-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
ProMariner ProSport 20, I use the 2 bank configuration. You can find them online for about $150.00.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-24-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
I have the same ProSport 20 too. Got it at West Marine for $150.00 out the door. Installed in the boat and all you have to do is park it and plug it in. Simple.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-24-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
I use Stinger SBC6A, which is a 6amp/hr. charger/maintainer. When i get back to the shop or the dock, I've got a 50' 12ga. cord that I throw out and plug in. Everything else is hard-wired.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (cwfletch)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-24-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
John - that is a CLEAN install, very nice.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-24-2010, 7:49 PM Reply   
Another economical option is to buy a "float" charger. You can get them from Harbor Freight for around $10 each. You will need one for each battery. They will not overcharge the battery, they cycle on and off to keep the battery at a constant voltage.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-24-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
I got this digital charger which has a auto "float" charge scale back. Peak output is 24A which is nice. I attached it to the wall of the garage then made a long lead which plugs into the boat with a simple plug, the chassis looks like a smallish car stereo amp for size reference. I would rather keep 240V appliances out of the boat personally, if it went up in flames I would rather it was attached to my concrete block wall than inside the boat locker and I can guarantee that it will stay dry.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-24-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
Maybe I've been lucky, my batteries last six or seven years by just disconnecting the negative terminal when the boat is not being used.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-24-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
I had 3 Optima D31M's go bad last winter. I had a Guest battery charger/maintainer go bad after one year and it took my batteries with it. Now I just remove the batteries and keep them in my garage during the winter.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-24-2010, 11:00 PM Reply   
You guys are missing the point of a good charger. The boat's alternator doesn't put out nearly enough to charge the batteries. We use on-board chargers to fully charge the batteries during the season.

If you have any kind of extra accessories or bigger stereo you can kiss your batteries goodbye if you don't keep them charged.