Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-16-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
What do u guys do for jobs? I run my pool service company alone so I cannot get hurt, sucks but keeps me within my abilities...
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
I was wondering the same. I start a high paying job in January that I can only perform if I'm injury free. I figure this is one of my last summers I can go all out trying new stuff and not worrying about being laid out for work.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-16-2012, 5:14 PM Reply   
I work in customer service, so lots of sitting. I kind of hate all the sitting, but it's good when you're nursing an injury.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-16-2012, 5:20 PM Reply   
I'm a glazier. Working with glass on a daily basis has proven to be more dangerous than pushing my limits on the water
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-16-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
I'm a pastor. It's a full time job that is 100% working with people. Which in some cases involves taking them out wakeboarding. Win-win
Old     (sparky9)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-16-2012, 9:22 PM Reply   
Electrician here....getting injured is always in the back of my mind...
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-16-2012, 10:18 PM Reply   
I'm a longshoreman. I'm very lucky to have some of the best medical coverage out there along with a very powerful union watching my back if I'm injured.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2012, 10:20 PM Reply   
Electrical contractor here. I tore my ACL for the first time 12 years ago and it cost me huge amounts of money in lost work. Since then, I am psychologically paralyzed when it comes to getting big air. Now I just huck the rope and bail when I know I'm gonna land in the flats. It sucks having suffered a big injury like that. It's the main reason I surf more now. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have pushed my progression as hard. I also would have conditioned myself better too.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-17-2012, 6:49 AM Reply   
CPA / Accountant.... pretty solid insurance... still cost me tons to get fixed up... when i did my ACL i prolly had $3-$5,000 out of pocket when it was all said and done including rehab

Caught a fin in the face surfing a few months ago and took 5 stitches... $1,300 out of pocket because of a massive deductable i have at my new firm.

I accept around $2K in out of pocket health costs every year because i usually get injured (ER visit) approx once a year.... comes with the territory.
Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-17-2012, 7:44 AM Reply   
General Manager of a Private Ambulance Company.. Not an EMT though so no getting on the ambulance for me.. I sit alot so great for injuries, but can get boring!...David I feel Ya on the insurance...
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-17-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
software developer - iphone/ipad apps mostly. It'd be pretty hard to get an injury that stopped me from being able to work. Not being able to drive the last half of summer sucked, but the bigger problem is taking care of a preschooler and toddler while on crutches. And my to do list for around the house/boat is a mile long now.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-17-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
college student....
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-17-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
I'm a boat salesman, I use my injuries to prove how big our wakes are... hahahahaha
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-17-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
^^^kidding
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-17-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
I'm a Operation Excellence / Lean Engineer... but at 24 am still able to stay on my mom's insurance (which is through the state health department - so its awesome).

I spend about 25 hours or so at a desk a week and about 25 hours out on the plant floor with Kaizen events and whatnot... so injuries aren't the end of the world.

Co-works have gotten to the point where they'll see my limping or hobbling around and instantly ask "I see you got out wakeboarding this weekend"
Old     (mindspin70)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-17-2012, 12:50 PM Reply   
Office manager, here... currently laid up with a torn ACL. 3 weeks post op and everyone at work is still doing my errands for me! I had one of the older guys at work come up to me the other day and say " I heard you hurt yourself "wave skiing" " It was all I could do to keep a straight face....
Old     (hughes144)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-17-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
Gnar.... I bet it is hard not pushing yourself and get hurt while operating the pool company alone. I'm a pool tech for a small pool company and injury is always on my mind because it is not a job where I can easily miss while injured. My boss doesn't like me missing work because of "wakeboard injuries" which has happened few times. It sucks though because I cannot progress any further.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-17-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Im a hand & foot model

Seriously though...Im a corporate recruiter in the finance field and weekends work out at local cable park to keep me sain. Its my fun gig and helps me get away from the corporate world. Injuries wont work for me bc it would limit my travel, so unfortunately Ive been playing it safe and not doing to much wakeboarding myself but just staying active with it. I live on a private lake and have access to a cable park whenever but yet I dont do it as much as I could
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-17-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
Too bad wave skiing is so dangerous
Old     (jordanleininger21)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-17-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
High school student so i have no problem pushing my limits.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-17-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Marine surveyor. Last trip to the hospital cost me my retirement fund. Not wake related.

Looking seriously at wake skates right now.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-17-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
Firefighter, so any injuries and I'm out of work. Luckily my union has a disability insurance we can sign up for $25/mo so basically I have to cover 2 months of work with my own sick time then the insurance pays me a percentage of my base salary for up to 2 years I think. I've never had to use it but it's a good safety net.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-17-2012, 9:13 PM Reply   
What agency ryan
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-17-2012, 9:29 PM Reply   
Photographer. Hobbled around my shoots and used the "I slipped on the stairs" and "I fell off my bike riding to the store" excuse more than a few times.......
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-17-2012, 9:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanleininger21 View Post
High school student so i have no problem pushing my limits.
Cool. Enjoy that while it lasts. Our bodies have a shelf life. Make the most of it.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-25-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
Staff member at a college here. I work with funding sources and spreadsheets all day. Injuries haven't kept me from working yet, but they have made me switch to wakeskating a lot more than I used to. It's a 50-50 shot that my shoulder will stay in place when I do any railey-based tricks now. That means my cable riding is pretty much done.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-25-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
Desk jockey with a secretary. I keep a pretty heavy stock of meds handy in the office and if i take a real banger the secretary covers for me, usually with the old "he's out of the office at the moment, may I take a message?"
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-25-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
ophthalmology resident, unfortunately getting injured isn't an option anymore
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-25-2012, 4:58 PM Reply   
Construction project manager/ estimator.....commercial asphalt paving
Old     (HighWater)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-26-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
nursing a tibial plateau fracture, 5 weeks post op, 2-5 more weeks on crutches, no load bearing. In transportation sales, but do a good bit out work myself on the beverage trailers we sell, but now having to contract that out. Hardest part is being 29 and raising my 6 year old daughter alone. Not to mention business isnt great right now, I only get paid when I sell something. 2 broke legs and 2 surgeries in 3 years, its getting old being busted up. Weighing my thoughts on ever getting into those bindings again. Def dont wanna be so busted up I cant run and play with my daughter or future kids. Plus even with insurance Im close to 10k outta pocket expenses over my bionic legs, costachondral seperation, AC ligament tear, and collarbone fractures. All thanks to Moto and Wakeboarding.