Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    hitch29            09-13-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
hey, i'm looking to relocate to california from washington state. what are the best lake cities to live in with best boating / wakeboarding? thanks for any info. (also interested in info on living in Clear Lake, Ca or on Sac. Delta).
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       09-13-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
Shasta is a great lake, but Redding is a pretty lame place to live. I am only here for my fatty job. There are very few good jobs here and even less single women. There is no university here either. The gene pool ain't too deep round these parts!

I would look toward Sac.
Old    julian_1            09-13-2005, 4:42 PM Reply   
i was just up at clear lake for the labor day weekend, and i personally thought the water was terrible. i am spoiled though because i usually ride the delta, which is amazing.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
In Norcal I would not turn down a day at McClure, Don Pedro, New Melones, New Hogan, Bullards, Oroville, Delta...(I'm sure I'm missing some) and Sac is a large city that is pretty centrally located to all. As dc said the gene pool might be a little deeper. Many more to the south.
Old    hitch29            09-13-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
no women in redding, that's important to know. also want to stay out of any high crime areas, is sacramento safe (I have a two year old daughter)? what are best communities / suburbs surrounding sacramento nearest good riding on the delta? is cameron park any good? thanks
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-13-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
cameron park is decent, used to live there. Pretty low crime rate, some decent people. South of sac is Elk grove, wich is growing rapidly. nice area, used to live outside there on the delta in a little town called walnut grove. That was nice, very rural, almost no crime everyone knows everyone and right on the water, but not far from the city.
Old     (x2momma)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-13-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
The city of Vacaville is a great place to live. Family oriented. Not to much crime. Centrally located to both Sacramento and the Bay Area. Good places to ride that are not far. Like the Delta, Sac. river and Berryessa.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
kent, would you consider commuting to work? if so, discovery bay is right on the delta, and is pretty safe.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2005, 6:30 PM Reply   
Disco Bay. Lake levels change too much to have a dock/boat set up always in the water.
Old    walt            09-13-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
Like Joe said Disco bay is nice and Lodi would be another decent place to live that is near the the Delta.

Clear Lake would be my last choice.
Old    justsomeguy            09-13-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
'i was just up at clear lake for the labor day weekend, and i personally thought the water was terrible."

Labor day weekend early mornings were good, and then it was wakesurfing time...

If people think the gene pool is shallow around Redding then it is almost completely DRY in Lake County.

Clear Lake is a nice place to visit if you have friends with a lake house but I wouldn't recommend that anyone think about living up there when there are so many better places to live in Norcal.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-13-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
Disco Bay, no questions about it. Period, end of question. If you own a boat, this where to be. You can live on the water with a dock, or be within 5 mins. of being in the water. A few gated communities, a country club, and minutes to either DB marina or orwoods. Miles and miles of water.
Old    hitch29            09-13-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
i'll have to track down some photos of disco bay onlne, sounds like a good place to start checking out. what's the weather like in the fall, winter, spring? thanks again
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
fall = cool, but great time to ride. a heater top may be enough for 1 rider, but a drysuit is needed by another.

winter = better have a drysuit. it rains, but plenty of dry days to ride.

spring = cool, but can be really windy at times. but, even on those windy days, you can always find good water.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Discovery-Bay-California.html
http://www.usacitiesonline.com/cacountydiscoverybay.htm
http://www.drelocation.com/California/contracostaco/discoverybay.htm
Old    justsomeguy            09-13-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
Don't forget FOG in the Winter.

The Delta can be socked in with tule fog for days on end in the Winter.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
yep. That fog ruins it. Those are the days of 48 degree water and 45 degree air temp. No sun = frozen fingers!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-13-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
november to april can suck
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2005, 10:18 PM Reply   
it can almost never suck at the delta.
Old    murrayair            09-13-2005, 10:32 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2005, 10:42 PM Reply   
Ahhh early November is my favorite.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2005, 10:51 PM Reply   
I like later Oct and Nov J-rod you need to come up to Don Pedro this winter also with us. I don't then we never saw the water below 54 last year.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-14-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
Guess I'm a light weight. My boat usually stays in the garage from nov to march. Maybe this year I'll man up
Old    justsomeguy            09-14-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
"it can almost never suck at the delta."

I strongly disagree. It can suck for days on end in the Winter.

"Suck" being defined as near zero visabilty all day long in this case.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-15-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
i just moved to auburn which is about 45 min out of sacramento. its a very nice clean place to live, the schools are top of the line, and its got some washingtone weather in the winter. plus there are some really cool lakes up here.

some of the lakes rating from best to worst are bullards bar, rollins, collins, folsom. i just moved here and love it. way better than southern california.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-15-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
i guess i've been lucky. sure, we've encountered the near zero visibility, but never lasted all day for us. we usually had good visibility by mid day.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
I would have to say Bullards Bar, although I hate to do it because it is getting more popular by the day.
Old    hitch29            09-15-2005, 6:09 PM Reply   
hey, i've been checking and El Dorado Hills looks sharp, 75 minutes from Tahoe, and 20 minutes from the all the lakes mentioned in recent posts. how many launches are on folsom lake? are there any launches in the north east corner near the channels? i took a look on google earth, hard to tell though.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-15-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
folsom has 2 launches, from what i can remember. 1 in granite bay, and 1 on the other side of that (can't remember). folsom's only good in the winter. the rest of the year, chop city.
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       09-16-2005, 7:20 AM Reply   
Folsom has 3 launches.Good water before 10:00 when all the bone heads show up.