Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    whitechocolate            04-29-2003, 9:34 PM Reply   
I thought I would pass on something I noticed when I had my Clarion Marine Unit out. The back is not very waterproof at all "I know you would hopfully never get water behind your head Unit" but If you have a 2000 to 2002 Nautique it's very possable the unit is full of hole's and You can see the see the CD spinning when it's playing. I have never seen a CD player that is this exposed or Open??? The only thing that covers the holes is a Plastic shield that goes over the top and sides of the CD unit and it just rest's on the unit, It looks like somthing Nautique made and installed it with the Clarion Head unit. With out the shield I could see One drop killing your CD Unit.
Old    cws_kahuna            04-30-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
I have a Kenwood Marine CD Player in my boat and it does not seem any different than any other head unit I have ever seen. I like the wired remote for it though, makes things a lot easier since my stereo is in the glove box.
Old    markb            04-30-2003, 10:56 AM Reply   
Grant - My JBL is the same. Looks like a typical automotive aftermarket head unit that someone wrapped packing tape around and called it "marine". Other than the packing tape/seal, th only thing different from what I can tell is the wired remote.
Old    ridinhigh            04-30-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
Oh, and when/if you take the head unit out be careful. On my boat the fiberglas surrounding the rear part of the head unit was practically razor sharp (a little bit of an exaggeration but it was very sharp). I ended up cutting the cover of the cable that goes to my remotes (along with putting a nice slice in my hand). Fortunately it didn't cut the wire strands so I put a ton of electrical tape on it.
Old    fff88            04-30-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
FWIW- my new Clarion Marine Head unit states right in the packaging that it is NOT waterproof and that if installed anywhere other than the glove box that it needs to be in a waterproof box. I believe the "Marine" designation is to internal parts not corroding as easily when around Salt Water air. Just what i think...
Old    whitechocolate            04-30-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
On clarions Website is Shows some one taking a hose to the front of the unit. Kinda mis-leading
Old    fff88            04-30-2003, 3:13 PM Reply   
I think the front of the newer ones are supposed to be water RESISTANT. but, i have last years model that is the smaller size, not the double size in front. Looks just like any old car stereo to me. But hey, it was only $199 and i got 2 wired remotes for $70 a piece. I agree though, taking a hose to the front is way misleading. Grant, do you have that Larger newer style or the older standard size?
Old    whitechocolate            04-30-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
here Ya go
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-01-2003, 12:36 AM Reply   
we found our cover open on our clarion head unit after a full nights of thunderstorm, thought it would be broken but it hasnt missed a beat, probally just lucky. (that was in our 2001 san)
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-01-2003, 8:26 AM Reply   
i was at a dealer meeting last year and Clarion had a booth set up for us to look at. They had a Clarion XMD1 playing under a waterfall of water. Very impressive I thought. However, I certainly would not recomend trying this at home. If some of you are like me, the only luck you have is bad luck. However, if you manage to get water behind the dash and into the holes on the rear of this deck, you probably have more worries then if your Lynard Skynard CD is skipping or not LOL!!! Just my .02

Bill
Old    fff88            05-01-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
What do you guys think about Condensation affecting the life of components? I recently looked into the area where my 2 amps, blocks, cd changer, deck, Cap, etc. is and they were all quite wet. it was from being under the cover and having rain then sunshine i suppose. Seemed to work fine. Just curious.