Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-21-2012, 6:11 AM Reply   
Hello all, I've been lurking here for a few months and started our boat search about 5 months ago. Well, I think its time to pull the trigger before it gets boating season.

I am in the market for a $30k - $40 used wakeboard boat, 22-23 foot. I want to wakeboard and surf, and my family would like to learn how to do the same.

What do you guys think about this boat:

2004 Tige 22V
50 hours
5.7 335hp

http://www.texastige.com/v2/index.html

My wife is not a huge fan of the yellow, but love the how clean the rear end is and how the yellow blends.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

James
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-21-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
That is a nice boat, boat I think I would rather spend a little more money and buy something like this 08 22Ve for $42K (which I am sure you can get for even less). I think it is a much better looking boat, has a full WetSounds system in it, and only has 219hrs. This boat will also have a much better resale value than that yellow one.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30217.

If you are willing to spend closer to $40K, you should have a lot of options (newer Centurion Avy/Typhoon, Sanger 215/230, MB WB, etc) or little older Tige 22 Ve or Bu VLX. All great boats that will have solid wakeboard/surf wakes

Good Luck!
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-21-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
jkw: Thanks for the quick response. We are trying to stay in the mid to low 30s, but I see your point. I've been also eyeballing this XLV:

http://www.dmboats.com/new_vehicle_d...05&pov=2430704

It has kind of plain colors, but the graphics are nice. I don't know much about this size of Mobius as I don't see too many for sale. I would consider this cheap for an 09 23ft boat?

James
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-21-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
btw, that is a nice Tige you posted earlier, thanks.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-21-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
I agree with lakesurfer if your willing to go up in price you can find some nice boats that are a little newer. Also I would be leary of a boat that old with 50hrs. Either the boat has had a new motor or been sitting unused for long periods. Things tend to dry rot and gum up that cause all kinds of gremlins IMO.

Any thing below over your max I would think you could get them down to your price range some are well with in your budget as priced.
Take a look at these I found in texas in just a quick search. I am sure you can find a good deal out there. Dont rule out a boat show deals on the used boats.
Nauti
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-220-101565076
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...e-226-99937611
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ique-100579897
BU
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-23-Lsv-200364
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-Vlx-101492602
MC
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...star-100598887
Old     (Guitarcrazy)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-21-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
Hi James, you are in the same boat as I, no pun intended. I started looking for my first V Drive two years ago and needed the same things as you. We liked to wakeboard, tube, and wanted to try surfing. On the advice of some friends on the Centurion forum I started looking for decently priced Centurions. We ended up buying a new carry-over 2008 Elite V and have used it the past two seasons. We have since grown to love surfing more than the other sports, although my son and I still wakeboard. The Elite is a very good boat, and not super expensive. I would not look at something as old as 2004 for that kind of money. You can certainly find newer and better for less. The older Tige hulls don't seem as good for surfing, although the newer Tige's are really good (and more expensive). I am currently in the process of buying another boat, mostly because we routinely have 10 or more people on the boat and want more room. We have a lake house and spend most weekends there in the summer, and we even had 12 people on the boat once this year. It was a great surf wake, but a bit crowded. I have been really happy with my Elite, and for the price they are very hard to beat. You should easily be able to get a 2008 or newer boat in your range if you look long enough. J
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-21-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
Definitely would look at a few of those that Mark suggested. You will be able to get them down on price for sure. Love that VLX wish that was in my budget this year. Would love to make the trip down to my old stomping grounds to pick it up.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-21-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
Honestly Tiges LOOK cool but from a rider of over 10-15 yrs and having have loaded the crap out of every boat out there, the Tige was a disappointment to say the least. I've only seen one boat lately that has has dramatically impressed me (besides my 2002 San 210, but that cuz I put entirely too much weight in it) an MB B52. they make it in a 21' and 23'. In there design (my buddy has the 21' in a 2011) they some how managed to make the interior of it feel like a 23' no joke. So I thought hey they just shaved off some of the back storage, but you can literally fit a full size adult in them still some how. So it's incredibly roomy, drives easy as hell, has 1800 lbs of ballast that fills twice as fast as my 900lbs of stock ballast does (and I still add two sacs to that for riding but I like my wake knee height or higher when possible).

Since all I do in a boat is ride, regardless of all the cool features I mentioned above, the tru test to me is what comes out the back, the wake. It's the most fun meatiest wake I've ridden in days, so of course the surf wake rocks too (my buddy who owns it is a hardcore surfer). So anyways if I were you I would honestly go for one of these new cuz your not spending much more and I'm pretty sure your interest rate is better new vs used....
Old     (skippabcool)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-21-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmotoxxx711 View Post
Honestly Tiges LOOK cool but from a rider of over 10-15 yrs and having have loaded the crap out of every boat out there, the Tige was a disappointment to say the least.
Why was it a disappointment? Are you lumping all Tige's from your one disappointment? What boat did you actually test? Just my two cents but if this guy is just starting he is not going to "load the crap" out of his boat, he is not a pro like you.

Biggest advice, try before you buy. I would do all you plan to do on your demo.

We have a '07 22Ve, very roomy and has a great stock wake for wakeboarding. We put a custom sac in for surfing and the wave is awesome. Makes learning easy.
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-21-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
Very good points, all. Thanks for the information and tips.

Is there a good source to find the true value of a used boat? I've been using nada but is there another you guys recommend? I want to make sure I go into the deal with all the information.

James
Old     (Guitarcrazy)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-21-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
NADA is pretty much what everyone uses. There aren't a lot of other appraisal websites to go with like with autos. I know virtually all banks use NADA. For a new boat they consider the sales price as the value, and for used they use NADA.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-21-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
One thing that gets forgotten....especially if you are surfing is CAT'S.

If you can get into a newer boat with cat's on it you will thank yourself later.(just a family guys opinion)
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-21-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
One thing that gets forgotten....especially if you are surfing is CAT'S.

If you can get into a newer boat with cat's on it you will thank yourself later.(just a family guys opinion)
You can add a FAE (Fresh Air Exhaust) if it does not have CAT's to most boat pretty easily. I actually like the FAE better because it reduces the engine noise by 80%. My new Enzo has a CAT and I am thinking about adding a FAE just to reduce the engine noise.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-21-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
You can add a FAE (Fresh Air Exhaust) if it does not have CAT's to most boat pretty easily. I actually like the FAE better because it reduces the engine noise by 80%. My new Enzo has a CAT and I am thinking about adding a FAE just to reduce the engine noise.
True, but Cat's seem more reliable - guys are always talking about fiddling with the FAE's (loosening up, etc).
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-21-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
That XLV is a good boat. I own one and you can easily have 2650 lbs of all hidden ballast on that boat for next to nothing. Good surf waves and wakeboard wakes are big. If it were me I would get the XLV over the Tige any day. Its a bigger boat too.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-21-2012, 12:59 PM Reply   
Picked up my 06 Tige 20i last year with 10 hours on it. Flawless performance even after sitting for long periods. Owned a prostar 205 prior to this one and don't think for a second that the quality of the Tige as worse. I have a pretty large group of friends with boats from all manufacturers and all have had nothing but positive comments about the quality and performance of my boat. A lot of brand loyalty on this forum. Use you're best judgement and buy what you like best.....you're going to be the one using it. We all have different taste.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-21-2012, 2:52 PM Reply   
That is a great price on the 2009 Moomba XLV. We old our 2007 in August of 2010 for $35k with almost 200 hours and no Z5. After looking at other boats thru 2011 I found my self going back to a Moomba again. Just picked up a 2006 LSV or $24k, can't wait to pick it up in March and use it a for spring break maybe.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
James i had a 2007 Tige 22Ve and just sold it last May for 40k.It had 420 troublefree hours on it.The 340hp Marine Power is bulletproof.Of all the boats listed above the 2008 22VE seems to offer the most features with very reasonable hours on it.The VLX also looks good but the price seems high for the year.The 22ve seats 14 people so i don't think you'll run out of room.The Malibu and Tige have very similar wakes.I know the Tige has a excellent surf wake on either side.I haven't surfed behind the Malibu,but wakeboarded behind one and they have a excellent wakeboard wake.I would suggest you demo both and decide for yourself.The tige will only use about 4 to 4.5 gallons a hour which is hard to beat when wakeboarding.It uses even less when surfing.GOOD LUCK!
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-22-2012, 5:39 AM Reply   
Good information guys. I checked on a couple VLXs on boat trader in my area and they were sold this week, but I've found two more (2006 and 2008) around the same specs and respectable price range.

I think I'm sitting in a pretty good spot with my price range, but I tell ya, this is a very difficult decision! Every boat I look at has features I like. The only thing at this point that turns me off the VLX is the raised floor going into the bow area. I'm 6'3", and it looks like I would have to swivel way out to get out of the drivers chair. The way Tige shapes their interior is really nice.

Anyway, I looked all day yesterday and I've narrowed my search down to some particular boats. Mark (at the beginning of the thread) pointed out a MC and I keep going back to it. Its a 2005 XStar. I love the styling, tower, drivers area, bow and overall looks. The hours (491) raise my brow a little, but I don't know if that is a big deal for that engine. I really can't see the interior to get a good feel for the spacing, so if anyone can't help there, that would be great.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...star-100598887

Thanks again for all your help. I didn't know buying a toy would be this much work!!

James
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2012, 5:50 AM Reply   
The Mastercraft is a excellent boat.The hours aren't bad for a boat that year.Two things to think about.1 banks don't like to make loans on any vehicle or boat over 7 years of age,it's on the edge .2 The price seems high for the features it has.Another thing to think about when comparing the Malibu and Tige.The Tige has molded in seat bases which are more solid and rattle free.The Malibu has screwed in seat bases.
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-22-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
I need to add a correction. I've been focusing on XLVs not VLXs. Sorry for the confusion!!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2012, 6:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vxmine View Post
I need to add a correction. I've been focusing on XLVs not VLXs. Sorry for the confusion!!
Moomba makes a good boat also.The wakes are good.I have heard people on here say they are weight sensitive.I however can't comment as i haven't ridden in one.As for room a 23' Moomba has no more room than any other brand of 23' boat.They do cost less as the Moomba line is a entry level boat.You will have to look at several year older Mastercrafts,Nautiques,Malibus,Supra's[also made by skiers choice] or Tige's.MB'S and Axis boats also offer alot of value and should be closer in price.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-22-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
James you may have to call on that star as it might be gone already. It is not on the Texas mastercraft site. Robert is correct about banks financing on older boats however it normally means they will only loan up to a certain amount. Just an FYI I did find any newer tiges in my search prob because the dealers here are fairly new so there were not many sold to be on the used market now. Also not sure who all the dealers are in Houston but make sure you can get good support once you make your purchase.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBunch View Post
James you may have to call on that star as it might be gone already. It is not on the Texas mastercraft site. Robert is correct about banks financing on older boats however it normally means they will only loan up to a certain amount. Just an FYI I did find any newer tiges in my search prob because the dealers here are fairly new so there were not many sold to be on the used market now. Also not sure who all the dealers are in Houston but make sure you can get good support once you make your purchase.
You have Parker Boats in Amarillo tx,Texas Tige in Conroe Tx.[a little nw of Houston]The Ski Dock in Austin TX. and Eagle Marine in Fort Worth.I have visited Eagle Marine and they have over a 100 Tiges in there.Also theres Hook and Anchor Marine and Watersports in Brownwood TX.
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-22-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
Right, that is why I am steering toward dealers and places local to me (Texas). I know it limits my choices, but I want to get into a good relationship with seller and support chain.

I just found this monster and researching it now. I had never considered it, but wow..

http://www.dmboats.com/new_vehicle_d...48&pov=2410946

James
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-22-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
James the Supra's are nice boats I have the 22ssv. I would mention if your concerned about the driver setting in the xlv this is much worse because of the seat behind the driver. Also make sure you ride the wake full weight there are lots of people that don't like how steep the supra wake are. If your weighting your boat over stock the Supra's like a lot of nose weight which can make some drivers nervous "wife". I think the 24 is better than my boat in having a little more rampy wake but nothing like a mastercraft or bu.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
James the Supra is a Awesome boat.Several of my friends at the lake have them.As for room,i'm only 5'6" .So i have plenty of room in any boat.LOL The Supra wake is a little steeper,but you can adjust your approach speed into the wake as it will BOOT you to the stars.Like Mark said the 24 should be a little more mellow.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-22-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   
Robert I know of the tige dealers that are here but in dfw eagle marine just became a dealer in the last few years after Slalom Shop stopped selling them. So there has been some dealership changes. Stability is key when you need service. I do not know anything about Texas tige in Houston which would be James local shop. The rest you mentioned are not a reasonable driving for service.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBunch View Post
Robert I know of the tige dealers that are here but in dfw eagle marine just became a dealer in the last few years after Slalom Shop stopped selling them. So there has been some dealership changes. Stability is key when you need service. I do not know anything about Texas tige in Houston which would be James local shop. The rest you mentioned are not a reasonable driving for service.
All James has to do is go over to Tigeowners.com and see all the boats Texas Tige has sold and all the happy service customers they have.I became a member in 2007 and i remember seeing posts back then.I think Texas Tige may have moved to Conroe to be closer to the lake.
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-23-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
Here is a beautiful boat that may be in my price range, but I am a little concerned about the hours (690). Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom on this engine/boat with this many hours. It looks like its been well taken care of.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-Lsv-100207387

Thanks,

James
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-23-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
X-Star is smaller in the back, larger in the bow

XLV is going to be a touch lower quality than most of the others and the wake will be finnicky (this coming from a former Moomba owner) but they boat is large, reliable and they are always priced well

The Supra 22SSV might tick ALL of your check boxes - unless you are really big into surfing. The size and seating layout are good for all, wakeboarding wake is bomb.

For $40k I'd be looking for an 09' Malibu V-Ride, a 07ish Supra 22SSV, a Mastercraft X15 or a Centurion Avy..
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-23-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
If you are interested I am selling my 2003 mastercraft X30- Lake ready.

MCX engine, all wetsounds system, updated mastercraft clamp style board racks, new interior and maintained by Texas Ski Ranch in New Braunfels. Just had them run through everything to make sure it was in top condition.

I have not listed yet so let me know and I can send you some pics.

It is in your price range.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-23-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
The Malibu looks clean and it's definately loaded.The hours are a bit high,but a inspection of the boat should tell you what you need to know.The owner should have records of maintainence and such.I would use the hours as a negotiating point.As most potential buyers will be scared of high hours.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-23-2012, 1:12 PM Reply   
I am just some guy on wakeworld and I own the old school X Star. If I had to do it over again. If your looking more for a family boat dont go to a hardcore wakeboat. I would say especially the pickel X Star. I would get the widest beam boat I could find in my price range. With you being tall I would also look for something with a high free board and how tall the seats are. Oh and a freaking swivel seat!!! The wake and all the other stuff gets lost in what your doing most in this boat on this site. I would say get in as many boats as you can. As far as the Tige go over to their site those guys are pretty honest on pros and cons. Also KKO owns that same boat he may chime in. Good luck.
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-02-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
Ok. Very close to purchasing this boat. Driving to Austin this weekend for a lake demo.

I'm really liking the Tige interior and overall look. It doesn't have PP or ballast, but as I think about it more, I would rather add those myself anyway.

What do you guys think?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-24v-100124882

Will keep you posted.

James
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-03-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
That boat has been on there for 6+ months. I would low ball them. I would say no more than 32K out the door. I was looking at that boat last year (over the internet). Worst case you come up in price, but you don't have anything to loose. My guess is they took it in last year as a trade it for 30K. Just my opinion, but it just turned a year older in January. With all the items you are going to have to add, 32K is what I would stand firm on. More boats are popping up every day.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-03-2012, 9:10 AM Reply   
James as Cole said start low to get it done. It looks like a much better boat 2ft longer and 2 years newer than the first Tige. The lack of PP or ballast and anything else you can find when inspecting the boat as leverage for pulling the price down. Good Luck
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-03-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
James,

while you are in town let me know if you would like to take the boat I am selling out for a spin. it fits your criteria and would not need any work done. Jamming wetsounds system, perfect pass, bimini, new interior, etc...