Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-01-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
Looking at buying some new headlights for my car. What would you recommend? I'm wanting them to be white. (not blue)
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
I got mine on like lightbulb.com or something. Kragen's/Pep boys and the like all sell a version of it. You just need to decide how bright you want them and don't forget if you have fog lights you will likely change them as well. I think the average is about $25/bulb. I think I went to phillips to get all the correct part numbers and than started searching pricing and options.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-01-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
Get a set of legit HID xenon headlights - just get them in 4000k. The 6000k-12000k will look blue to purple. 4000k is natural white light. 2000k is amber yellow.

You wont' get a legit "pure white" headlight at an autoparts store for $25.

HID's shouldn't run you more than $200 for a nice set. You can get cheap, crappy kits on FleaBay for like $80 but the bulbs and ballasts won't last. Get something legit.
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-01-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
What brands/model would you say are "good" HID conversion kits? I was looking at Phillips kit for $189-
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-01-2011, 1:25 PM Reply   
I've done TONS of HID kits.. while the name brand kits may be slightly better or last longer, they still can have just as many bad bulbs/ballasts.

You can get cheap kits off ebay for $30 shipped now. For that price you could buy 6 kits and change a part whenever something burns out.

I've had expensive kits that lasted a few months and cheap kits that's lasted years. And vise versa.

4800k kits are probably the best for white light, 6000k looks great as well, just a slight hint of blue.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-01-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
$200 is a little much for me. I'm a college student working part time and trying to support my hobby. I would like to keep it at about $100 if possible.
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-01-2011, 3:10 PM Reply   
ddmtuning makes hid kits for cheap i had them in my old truck without any problems. Their kits are high quality and very few people report problems with them. I had the 55w 6000k hi/lo kit and it was only al ittle blue the 55w tends to wash the color out.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-01-2011, 6:58 PM Reply   
The Phillips kit is nice but if you're broke $190 is a stretch.

I've heard good results for the budget with DDMTuning bulbs Devon mentioned.
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-01-2011, 7:50 PM Reply   
I second the DDM tuning website. Pick your bulb type, and order.

What vehicle are they going in?

Bimmerfourms.com has lots of reviews, the ddm is the best liked.

I wanted PURE white, no blue, and am VERY happy with my 5000k 55w kit.
Old     (hoppsxc140)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-01-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
Ordered mine 2 years ago from this site. http://www.vvme.com/
Replaced both high and low beams, real easy install in my 2003 gmc. I was alittle skeptical at first because of the price, they were shipped from china, but the ballasts were Hella brand and have worked great, the only issue is with replacing both highs and lows is that when switching between the two the highs are dim for the first few seconds. Honestly with how bright the lows are i rarely use the high beams unless I'm out in the desert late at night or up in the mountains.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-01-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
It will be going into my 2003 Infiniti G35. I was looking online and I found this:
003 Infiniti G35 Sedan Automotive Light Bulb Size Chart

Low Beam Headlight Bulb Size: HID-D2R
High Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: 9003/HB2
Parking Light Bulb Size: 168
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-01-2011, 10:57 PM Reply   
Well by the info you just pasted you already have HID's in your car. You just need to replace the bulbs for a different color (which is the temperature, K number)

Check this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...item5638c6ade0

$30 shipped for a pair... honestly it doesn't matter who you buy from on ebay for the price. they are all pretty good... if they burnt out in the first day I'm sure most reputable sellers would replace for you.

the link shows all the colors they offer... I think you would be happier with the 6000k as it looks a little more luxury to me. I like the more custom look so I always use 8000k, but they don't give quite as much light output but I drive 95% city so it doesn't really matter to me. I have 8000k fogs to brighten up the back country roads when i do drive on them

While you are at it, spend another $7 on a pair of LED bulbs for your park lights. Get's rid of the ugly white/yellow-ish bulbs and makes them bright white like your HID. Usually has the same bulb for your licence plate lights or puddle/mirror lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/194-1...item4154908c43
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-02-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
Just put in my order at DDM tuning. I'm excited to get it in. I will post pictures once I install.