Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-04-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
Hey guys :-)

Well, last "Season" i picked up wakeboarding here in Holland. Started riding behind an old, Towerless Glastron, behind which i learned my W2W's, and now ride behind a Malibu vRide 2007 (Yep, for me it was kind of a dream come true) and am able to perform the "Easier grabs" (Tailgrabs, nosegrabs, indy's etc.) 180's, and recently landed my first tantrum.

For the ones wondering, yes, Holland doesnt tend to be really warm, and yes, I board in water thats only "Warm" when its been very very hot. Currently the temp is about... 14-15 degrees, but its doable.

I currently ride a Liquidforce Synergy, 133 with New "Schnitzel, laces" bindings. Its a combo i bought at a big boat convention (Is that the right word) in germany, for about 300 euro's.

Now im soon looking to buy a new board, but theres rather little big european Forums, and there are alot of american terms used here which i dont know alot about. Take Lbs, Feet, miles, etc.

I dont really know the weight range in Kilo's. I'm 15 years old atm, and i weigh about 60-65 kilo's if im correct. Shoe size is european "43-44". Is a 133 a good size? Or am i looking for something slightly bigger?.

Do you have any suggestions for some gear i can ride with for the coming years?

Now, for some, probably "Stupid" questions:

- Rails, Do you guys take your fins off of your board, or do you guys use special fins/boards for them?

- Boat speed. Atm i ride at about 34 Kilometres an hour, with a pretty long rope (Im not sure of the length. Its a "Base" wakeboard rope. with 1 extension piece attached") Is this too slow/Fast? Whats the standard "Competition speed" ? :-)

-Pumping the wake up. We havent really tried out the new boat yet, most of the time just putting down the Power Wedge. But we also have ballast tanks. Should we just fill these all up and put the wedge all the way down? (Which sounded ofc like the most logic thing to me :P )

I will most likely come up with some new questions soon :P

Thanks you for reading,

Bob.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
Your boat speed is too slow. They normally measure it in mph. You should be around 37-38 kph. You are riding at cable speed. Your rope should be about 75 ft if you are just starting.You can even start at 70 and increase as you get better.Boat too slow, rope too long, what a battle.
Old     (matte_th)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-05-2008, 12:31 AM Reply   
The standard "base"(i guess you are thinking about the brand) line is 23m and each extension is 1m.
75 ft = 22.8 m

34 km/h = 18.3 knots, Witch is a good speed to start riding at.. as you get better increase your speed up to 38 - 40km/h.

And check http://www.wakeworld.com/wizard/boards.asp for how big of a board to get, i guess you are still growing and dont want to get a new board every season .. so you might want to get a bigger board then what the guide recommends.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm to help you with converting kilos to pounds etc
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-05-2008, 4:29 AM Reply   
34kph is 21.25 mph. You want to know what they ride in comps is up around 38/39kph.There are 2.2 pounds in a kilo. Kilometres to miles - divide by 8 multiply by 5.Start there and work it out on the water.I know people in Holland who wakeboard and I have been told how difficult it is.Especially boat. Good luck.