Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-05-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
No, I am not yet ready to become Tallxstarguy. But a buddy of mine is considering an X-45 vs. an X-star. He has plenty of money and price is not a concern between the two, but the X-45 he is looking at might be a little bit better of a deal.

We have both been on an X-star and had no complaints whatsoever, except for that the surf wake was not quite as good as we had hoped for, but it was only with a few peeps and stock ballast. The first question is can get a good surf wake out of the X-star?

He is inclined to go with the X-45 for the spaciousness and the ability to hold a ton of people. We both went on another friend's 45 last fall. It was the owner's first time out. We had major problems with the wakeboarding wake. It seemed that we had to go 23 MPH to get a clean wake, which is just a little fast for the old man (me). The inner lip was very steep and was very difficult for intermediate to beginner level riders who tend to come up short, because the inner lip was as big and steep as the wake is from the outside. My friend often takes beginners and younger kids so he is concerned that it may be very unfriendly in that way. Most importantly, it was the owner's first time out and we had no time to play with weight, trim tab and speed settings.

Which boat should he get?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-05-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
No matter how hard you try you can't convince him to get a tige?
Old     (h2oboy)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-05-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
X-35
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-05-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
You can get a decent surf wake out of an X Star if you put a sack in the rear storage area. The X Star wake is probably a little better for beginners for the very reason you stated...because the inner lip was as big and steep as the wake is from the outside...the X Star wake has a better inside wake area. X 45 is a really cool boat though if you have lots of people and gear. There might be some adjustment for wake with the trim plate that would work for the beginner crowd. I would tell him to demo both boats and make sure they see what the wake looks like at their speed.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-05-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
I agree on the X-35 comment. The surf wake I heard it is awesome and produces a bigger wake then the x-star. X-35 all the way.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-05-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
I demoed the X-35 the wake was killer and it was a great boat

but if he is only considering the star vs. 45 I would say if you plan on having quite a few people out on the boat go with the 45 it has a whole lot more room in the rear IMO the X-Star doesn't feel like a 22' boat
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-05-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Nu bu,

He has an ego that is as big as yours, so the boat is a status symbol.

He also thinks that getting one from Cope's 'dump them at wholesale' sale might be a good deal. Both are advertised at 63K on their website.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-05-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
I was being serious, I know how you like to push Tige. The wholesale dump would be a good option.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-05-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
To be honest, I can't quite figure it out. I really think he sees it as a status symbol. We go out almost weekly from now until October and we have a perfect time on mine. Partly, he might just want to be different. I am just eager that he get something so that I don't have to use mine every time.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-05-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
X-35. This could be MasterCrafts flagship hull in the future. Demo it!
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-05-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
I agree with the x-35 comment. It sounds like the perfect in between for your friend. I really like the wake of x-45 and I am also an older guy. If you feel like it is too steep. Put some weight in the front and mellow it out some. You can't go wrong with any of the three I don't think.
Old    alanp            04-05-2008, 10:14 PM Reply   
x-45 is a horrible wake imo. i'd never consider purchasing this boat. however if he just wants to load a ton of people into the boat and do a little wakeboarding it may be worth it. x-star hands down
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-06-2008, 1:29 AM Reply   
Hi there i have an X Star and to be honest this boat was made for me!! I have two really good friends with X 45s and spend loads of time on their boats also, helping them set them up!! Wakeboarding is my primary activity and the surf wake is achievable on the X Star if your willing to play with it!! Don't get me wrong the Surfwake of the X 45 is better though!!

The Wake behind the X 45 will tend to be wider, due to the wider beam, which is negative for beginners trying to accomplish the wake to wake dream, also i found with zero ballast and around 4 people in the boat the wake is quite tame, however as soon as you start throwing weight in the boat the wake tends to naturally become larger but steeper which is a huge negative aspect for beginner riders!!!

The X Star wake is amazing because it holds it shape when weight is added to it, it just becomes larger!! It sucks trying to figure the surf wake out each time and the best i ever had it was last summer when i found out that i shouldn't use the stock ballast due to them being in the wrong location!! so i just got 12 of my friends on the boat, 3 of them hanging on the side and the surf wake was the best i have EVER seen!!!! (the problem is 12 friends is quite difficult to come by every time you want to have a surf)

The problem with the X Star is the big box on the back that houses the Exhaust, you need to get the boat far enough over that the boat does not effect the wake, which requires WEIGHT!!!!

However both boats are amazing and have positive and negative aspects, i am sure you will have a blast whatever boat you decide on!!

Also i would demo the X 35 as it is supposed to be wicked good!!!

Hope this helped!!

Danny
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-06-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
I would not go as far to say that the x-45 is a horrible wake. That is a little drastic. I have an x-45 and it needs tweaking to get it sweet. The wake plate needs to be adjusted to get it just right.

The surf wake is excellent on the star-board side. Nice and long, un-like the port. Just needs around 2k lbs to get it right.

I would tell him to demo the X-35. If your friend is all about status tell him to get a full light and speaker tower setup, full ballast, and a wrap. Oh and buy the way you can get a refrigerator!

If we were in the market for a new boat we would choose the X-35. The X-45 does have more room.
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-06-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I surfed a friends 45 last year on the port side with a 550 in the rear compartment. The wake was huge. Could have surfed till he ran out of gas.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
go with the xstar, the 45 is super loud and gets old to me and there is this wierd handbar in the seat next to the driver side that is annoying as crap. i wouldnt buy it bc of that.loloh yeah and the wake sucks.
Old    alanp            04-07-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
sorry i guess i should have clarified that im my opinion the wake on an x45 is horrible. my prostar 190 thru a much better wake
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2008, 10:26 PM Reply   
the x-45 does throw a great surf wake.i have surfed many a times behind a buddys boat in AZ.

it takes A LOT of weight to do it not to mention filling both sides, the belly and a trim tab. plan on 4k-5k in weight.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-07-2008, 10:44 PM Reply   
X-45 throws a great wake if you know how to stack it up right. full stock ballast 6 or 7 people, and trim up the wake, and it's steep and fat.

Definitely hit up the 35, it is a beautiful boat!
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-07-2008, 10:51 PM Reply   
What did yall not like about the 45's wake? I've been behind one a few times and thought it had a pretty solid wake..
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-08-2008, 5:56 AM Reply   
HAHA, now that is funny Alan!
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       04-09-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
I'd recommend trying the 35. I'm hoping to get behind one this summer. However, I echo Danny, the X-Star was made for me. HOLY HANNAH I love that boat. all I do is ride, so the v-drive sacs stay full and I empty the ballast to put it up in the air at night. As for surfing, I don't know what the complaints are, I love it. Never had any issues with it. Great beginner wakes as well. Not as much room as the bigger boats, but remember years of R&D for a single purpose created the 5-time riders choice boat...
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-09-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
I have an xstar and my buddy has a x45, so I can tell you from both sides.

Get the xstar if you want to wakeboard and wakeboarding is going to be the primary purpose.

Get the x45 if you want to wakeboard, surf, sleep, bbq, do whatever, and have over 10 people in the boat. I'm not sure if "all" x45's have the trim tab, but if they don't......make sure you're buddy gets one with the tab.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-09-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
as mentioned the x star is prob better for wakeboarding as the primary use. I am looking to get one i am an intermediate rider but my gf has only been riding for a yr now and likes to pop off the wake but she isnt so concearned about going w2w. My question is at what speed does the x star wake clean up w/o any ballast. My current boats (sanger) cleans up real nice about 18 mph but my buddy has a sante 220 and it doesnt even come close to cleaning up until about 23 mph w/o ballast. shes comfortable ridng about 20-21 max will it still be a fun and user friendly wake at that speed?
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-09-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
As between the X-45 and X-star (eliminating all other options), go with the X-star. While the X-star doesn't seat as many people, the X-45 has a disappointing surf and wakeboard wake. While the X-star wakesurf wake isn't great either, it's definitely better.

If he's open to options, I used to work at a dealership that sold both Centurion and Mastercraft... many people would demo the X-45 and the X-star then end up buying the Centurion Enzo (23 or 24)- it's roomy like the 45, throws arguably the best surf wake out there and kicks up a great wake too.

Now, it's no Mastercraft... that is to say, it's doesn't scream "I have money". If image is a huge deal to him, get the MC. I truly think though he might like the Enzo... it's worth a look
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-09-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Anodyne- I think you may be confused the x45 is very well known for its amazing surf wake.
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-09-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
I have a X-45 and would agree that the wake is difficult to dial in under 22.5-23mph. If you are comfortable with that speed and above, the wake is very steep and very wide; but still manageable. The surf wake is great, the wakeboarding wake good enough for me and my crew and the room is outstanding. When I get back on the market for a new boat, I think the X-35 would be my choice.
Old     (ernie)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-10-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
F-it, Get one of each!!
Upload
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-10-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
Man that is the sweetest garage!!!!
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-10-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
Tall,

Tell him to get the CC230. Now that's a sick boat. I don't know much about the X-star or X-45, but they sure are nice looking. I know one person with an X-45 and he really likes it for wake surfing. His son is a competition wake boarder and seems to like the wake okay. He did tell me that he liked the way his previous boat (a Tige) handled better than the X-45. The MC bling is pretty killer though and will likely score him more chicks than a Tige. Sorry I didn't add much.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-10-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
ernie,
if one of those boats gets in the way to much just send one down to me I won't mind
Old    00wakesetter            04-10-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
Or just step up your game and then you dont need your boat to score chicks.
Old     (tria1982)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-11-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
Man i would definantly say the xstar if he isn't even looking at other boats. wake is good as long as the people inside the boat don't mind getting a bit wet.