Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       09-26-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
I find it funny that everyone with a boat claims they wakeboard. I've run into a couple people and asked what their tricklist is. Most likely they say something like " Not much, just 180's and 360's" I usually go along with it cus it's not worth my time to argue so I usually ask what their technique is to sticking the 360 and they don't even mention anything about the handle pass. My next question is usually, Can you backroll? - Uhh...I never tried.
I don't care what kind of boat you have or what kind of board or where you ride but these people sound pretty stupid thinking they are good at every board sport. Any one else have any stories to share?
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-26-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
Yeah, the day I was in a board shop and the sales person was talking to me about how he was going to buy the new Parks board (it was a couple years ago) because it fit his riding style so well. I asked what style that was, he then explained he likes his board pretty mellow, and not agressive at all.....
Old     (lfs56)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
a friend of mine that it takes him about 5 times to get outta the water, and get's pulled at 11mph always comes to school tellin me he's gonna try a whirly, backroll, or a 360 and how he gets enough air that he could jump over me
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-26-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
I would bet money that their wardrobe consists mainly of FOX clothing... Used to love the brand and dig the new stuff but it is available at every corner clothing shop and has turned into ghetto wear for the wannabe rider.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-26-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
WOW, I guess that makes me a poser.

At least I don't wear Fox clothing.
Old     (tpj)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-26-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
the story i usually get (even if they dont have a boat) is yeah ive gone once or twice. i was doin 360's and i tried one of those backflips and landed it but i dropped the rope.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
to me, if they're on a wakeboard, they're wakeboarders.

whether they can only cut back and forth on a wakeboard, or has a tricklist that rivals the pros, i don't care.
i don't care if they wear fox shorts or they wear shorts from walmart.
if they go 11mph or 28mph, it doesn't matter to me.
i don't care if they can help me w/ a trick or not.
i don't care if they know all the trick names in the book, or none what-so-ever.

what matters to me is that they're on a wakeboard and havin' a blast.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
Hell yeah Joe!!!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-26-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
Amen Joe. If they are having fun thats all that counts.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-26-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
I know a few guys that always say I can do this and I can do that. Than every time they get on the boat they can't ride cuz there hurt or They don't want to try it cuz they are having a off day. Then a few days later when Im not on the boat, they where on and landing everything! I don't really care one way or another. But I always just think why do you gota lie about it. I never tell anyone what I can do. One reason is I don't really care what anyone thinks, I ride for me cuz I love the sport, not to show off, and second cuz Im a Fat @$$ and I know everyone would think I was talking out my @$$!! I don't want to be know as that fat kid that always lies about wakeboarding!! Being the fat kid is enough! hahaha
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
definately joe, but i do see what there talkin about with the people that ride at 11 and say theyre gonna do a 1080, but yea it's cool to see this sport expanding.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
thats hella funny bg...
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
right on kong, couldnt have said it better!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-26-2007, 5:16 PM Reply   
DO4,

You're the one that's trying way to hard to fit cool the wakeboarder description.

Asking people what their trick lists are? Please tell me you're kidding, or I'm afraid you might be the poser (as much as I hate that word).
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-26-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
I love when people say "yeah I can do 3's but I can't get the handle"
getting the handle is the entire trick!
Old     (bwog21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-26-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
I ride because chicks dig it. Right on dude.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-26-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
I don't like the posers that ask me what my trick list is... my response, "I just like to have fun". That should be sufficient for anyone.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-26-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
Look at Buddy here. He's having a better time than anyone, and he's extremely vocal about it, but you won't see him pullin big air anytime soon. Does that make him a poser too?

Upload
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
D04,

So because I have a boat and am still trying to make it W2W and everytime I try to side slide I face plant and do the scorpion and stretch every muscle in my abdomen...the wrong way...I'm still not a wakeboarder. Damn it! I just go out and have fun trying to progress and teach my kids the basics. I thought my wife was wakeboarding when she consistently gets up, even though she is terrified to go outside the wake. I'll have to tell her she doesn't quite have the title of wakeboarder until she can throw down with the pros. If I met you and told you I wakeboarded and you discovered the truth, would you judge me and call me a poser? Who are you trying to impress? Lighten up.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-26-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   

quote:

I don't like the posers that ask me what my trick list is... my response, "I just like to have fun". That should be sufficient for anyone.

exactly.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       09-26-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
Someone once asked me who I ride for. (as in sponsorships, trust me I'm not that good). I said, "I ride for fun. I ride for me."

-Steve
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-26-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
Anyone who can clear the wake is a hero in my mind, hell my necks still sore from the last time I tried it!

And yes Buddy (love the pic) is a poser, he's posing as a human!Upload

Of course if we're talking surf you've got to add at least 2'-5' to the size of the wave when talking to all your friends who weren't there!

"you really missed it . . . . . . . "
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-26-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
D04, don't even try to act like you didn't suck at some point, but think you were a wakeboarder...i agree you are trying to hard if you are straight asking people thier trick list..
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-26-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
It looks like most of the people have the same attitude...just have fun. Think of the people you see getting up for their first time and how much fun they're having. How much would it suck if they got back in the boat and you said "yeah, you're not a wakeboarder and those FOX shorts do nothing for you."
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
BG...too funny. I have seen your pics, and you have some mad style.
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       09-26-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
i always wanted to know what made a poser,i guess i am one, becouse i cant flip or roll unless its onto my face but i go out and give it all i got and if anyone faults me for trying i might let you see the bottom of my board right in your face,i have a bad attitude and short fuse when it come to baggn on other people for just going out with friends and having fun.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
Hey man.....I resemble the title of this post!!!!
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-26-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
My favorite poser story is about the 30 or so dudes that were sitting on the peak hassling eachother at our favorite right point break on the east coast of Bali one December a few years back when it was like 3-4 foot... Out of no where, a thunder cloud rolled over the peak, reducing the visibility to zero, meanwhile the surf picked up to bigger than you can possibly imagine... like nightmare big. It got so big that I thought I was going to die as I got held under for 2 straight waves, followed by getting 1 breath of air just as a 3rd broke right on my head. 10 minutes later, I'm limping back to the channel to catch up with my 2 buddies who were smart enough to have headed over their right away, and the thunder cloud passed by, leaving clear skies. As we looked around, there was literally nobody else out anymore, and it was absolute perfection. We had it to ourselves... not even the aussie on the rhino chaser was left...

The thing is, I still don't think of the other people as posers. As ironic as it was that all the egos had been washed to shore, I was honestly concerned for their welfare more than anything. Obviously they were in over their heads, and didn't need anyone telling them about it. When we got in, one dude was under the hut staring out to sea like he'd seen a ghost. He said he couldn't find his friend who he had paddled out with.

(Message edited by Monkey on September 26, 2007)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-26-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
hey if you wanna see some posers come out to the delta and go to ski beach. on a typical sumer day you will find about 20 pimpin a$$ wake boats with zero boards on in the racks or boat. and you will see the same ones just about every weekend
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
Good one Brandon
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
BG thats hilarious.

Realistically "if your talking about your riding, then your riding wont do much talking".

Funny story a friend told me the other day.

First the background: we met through WW, (thank you find a third forum) and the first time we rode together neither one of us said a word about our riding. We ended up waiting a few hours for our third and both of us seemed to dance around the subject. Later we both admitted to "wondering at the time" but had that "you never know who you will run into" attitude about it. And neither one of us wanted to spout off what we could do knowing full well the other person could absolutely kill it (especially since we both met at the Derty D). Later we both shared the same sentiment and laughed about it.

Now on to the actual story: My buddy moved out of state to a lesser spot than central cal. He ended up putting some stickers on his boat for lessons, since he wanted to ride and the local lake had little "talent". Well one day he was pulling his boat out and these two guys say to him "hey, nice boat, I should show you how to ride behind it sometime". My friend says "well, I teach lessons, your more than welcome for a pull. I am not the greatest but I have a few tricks". (knowing again, you never know who you will run into). Well the guys end up hitting him up for a pull and begin to spout off about their backrolls and tantrums continuously the entire day on the boat. All this while my buddy just keeps his mouth shut and lets them go on and on and on about their "amazing skills". Finally my buddy picks up a friend (who he knows can drive his boat) and gets a pull at sunset. He proceeds to stomp just about every trick he has. This includes close to 2 dozen advanced tricks (if he competed he would ride outlaw). Well when he gets in the boat, and those guys are silent the rest of the evening. My buddy doesnt gloat about it or anything, just shruggs it off as teaching a "hard lesson learned".

I think there have been a few of us who have made the same mistake, lol.

Edit: I dont consider the guys in the story posers, but I thought it was a funny story to tell.

(Message edited by liquidmx on September 26, 2007)
Old     (makai_surfer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
If ever rider was a top pro, then how would the best riders stand out...?

If you can stand up on a board (whatever board it is!), smile, enjoy friends & family out on the water than it sounds like wakeboarding is in full effect for you.

I have NO trick list, but I LOVE being on the boat, working on my edging, learning to progress, and having FUN doing something we are all so fortunate to have in our lives. We are all lucky to take time out to boat, wakeboard, and play in this manner...

So who cares if insecure people want extra attention, or what your trick list is, if you smile out on the water with joy and friends in your life!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-26-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
DO4...what the hell are you talking about?

"I usually go along with it cus it's not worth my time to argue"

What are you going to do? Argue with them and tell them that they can't do the tricks they "listed?" Why are you grilling people like that in the first place?? Are you the trick police trying to find out if their "bag" is big enough to allow them to own a nice wakeboard boat? This is the most embarrassing thread I've ever seen. If I was the guy you were grilling about his trick list, I'd probably be encouraged to quit the sport before I ended up acting like you.

For the record, my list wouldn't even include 360's (although I did do a couple a few years ago). Plus, I just watched myself riding on video for the first time and I'm even more depressed about how little air I get. Not only that, but with three kids, I bet my 2008 Malibu Wakesetter VLX is probably pulling a tube 30-40% of the time.

I was planning to take the boat out again soon, but I wanted to first get your permission to see if I pass the "poser test." Let me know if I don't make the cut and I'll just leave it in the garage.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-26-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
Sorry for the angry post. I just wasted the day trying to get my son's foot x-rayed and I'm a little testy!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Im with Umali and Williams on this one all the way. DO4 - you suck.
This sport is about fun - frankly, Im sick of riders like you who try and make it something its not.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
FWIW Dave, I think everyone gets depressed watching themselves ride!
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-26-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Who the hell cares if everyone with wakeboard boat says they wakeboard. Maybe they do, maybe they try, or just maybe they like to have fun. Who cares about what tricks they can do. Unless your a pro or trying to be a pro, thats when it may matter. I read about alot of people on here bickering about who's boat is better and who's wake is better and its all stupid, but this is the worst thread I've seen yet. Ya maybe my trick list is not that big, but I could care less. I like having a nice reliable boat. And most of all I like to go out to the lake to have fun with my family and friends
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-26-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
i rode yesterday with a friend who busted multiple 3's, a couple 5's, 180's till i was dizzy, scarecrows, b rolls, roll to reverts, oh and huge raleys. when i rode and i stuck my 180 i was stoked, and my friend didnt even call me a poser. i must be lucky to ride with such nice guys.

and one more thing, you wont see any boards ever in my racks. because i cant afford them. sure love that vlx wake. worth every penny.
Old    K.B.C.            09-26-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
Good story Matt. Usually really good riders don't say much about their riding. They don't have to because it speaks for itself.

What a donkey maneuver staring this thread was.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-26-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
Dubbe, im with you. i just bought my first wake boat even tho my trick list is limited. i cant do any fancy stuff and i am perfectly content with that. the point is that i die to get out behind the boat and ride all day. however, i do know what the others are saying about posers. and i would agree with them that those people are very annoying.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-26-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
OMG...wearing Fox boardshorts makes someone a poser? Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner, I need to go buy new boardshorts now because the 20 pair of FOX boardshorts I own and love evidently make me a poser.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
hey guys....(dont laugh at me either) BUT today i was in one of my stores and i picked up the new issue of SLAM Magazine (bc it had an article on OJ Mayo) and as i flip through the pages i see a picture of Grant HIll in a boat...upon further review he was rockin a GANGSTER A$$ 226....poser????

keeping it fun is what it's all about..NO ONE and i mean NO ONE came out of the woom throwin down on the water...we've all been beginners and we've all been intimidated when riding with ppl who are WAy better than us...i'm so glad that i have been fortunate enough to have friends who are truely in this for the love of the sport. they just wanna have fun. some might take it more serious than others but we're all in it for the same reason....CHICS
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-26-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Okay, so we've all grilled him pretty good. D04, I think a new way to look at things might be in order. Heck, I must be a huge poser, I don't even have a boat. I think what you should focus on is how good of a riding partner are you? I'm a better rider than some, not as good as many, but ask anyone i've ridden with and they will mostly tell you I'm a chill guy to hang out with and very encouraging. I'll just chalk it up to being young but eventually you will feel the stoke of sharing the sport and helping others progress. Zenheavy out.
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-26-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
i dont care what you can do just dont tell everyone a bunch of bs just speak the truth i think if u can get up and u ride every now and then then u are a wakeboarder
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-26-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
Yea I dont think he will try to re-post to stand up for himself. My question is whether or not he realized how many pro riders on on this board. To me wakeboarding is a lifestyle. I dont do it b/c its cool. I try not to hate when someone rips me up. but it happens to me all the time. Its hard when your own wife rips you up. She always deflates my ego. everyone gets there own personal satisfaction from wakeboarding. Mine is teaching people to love the sport. If his is to rip apart people thats his own thing. I cant beleive that I am going to repeat some advice my boss gave me but he always says to "under promise and over preform" D04 i think you should do the same.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-26-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
maybe its just me and my boyz, but nearly everytime someone busts something behind my boat from wake to wake, a nice grab, big raley or even when my girl friend made it out side the wake the other day. all you hear is our friends cheering and yelling.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-26-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
this guy is the same guy in my profile...LOLOLOLOLOL I forgot to tell everyone
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
poser = antbug
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
antbug's bitch = mitch = bigger poser
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
What irritates the he$$ outta me is listening to someone talk about boat wakes when they don't have clue... Ever hear these guys... I have heard time and again from people who just boat a new boat, or from people who have a buddy who just a new boat, tell me how their new boat wake is the sickest thing going. Then I ask what they have, and they reply "Blah blah blah with just stock ballast". I ask them how many boats they have ridden behind, and they like maybe one other.

It is clear to me that these guys are "posers" in the truest sense. They brag about something that isn't true and have no knowledge of other wakes put out by other boats. Everyone should just either just stop bragging, or at least be able to back it up with some knowledge about what you are trashing...

UJ
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-26-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
D04, Nice pink shirt.

trick lists? Has anyone ever told you fu*# off?

It took you two years to learn a 180 and you calling out "posers".. WTF?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Joe, you got me. im a TOTAL poser.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
i hear ya andrea...i love my fox boardshorts, my fox hat, my fox shirts, my fox sunglasses, and my fox hoodies...i don't own a boat...$heit i guess i should give up wakeboarding and life cuz evidently i'm a huge poser...
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-26-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
Good God do yall think you flamed the guy enough? He is probably scared to come post again. I have to say after reading all the posts that this is a perfect example of how threads can go off on a tangent and get out of hand with everyone taking sides & jumping on someone's bandwagon. For the record KONG, it looks like you are the fat kid that can throw down from what I have seen.
I gotta give props to the big guys who kill it. i am not just talking about the guys that are Rusty's size, I mean the BIG guys!
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-26-2007, 10:02 PM Reply   
ya honestly i love wakeboarding man its all i think about day and night. ya i dream about it to. but trick list hmm does w2w count??? a few surface spins maybe??? so because u cant go huge and do rolls and 360's im not a boarder. i think anyone wanting to learn to ride and people who can get up and have fun are offical boarders in my book!!!
Old    alanp            09-26-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
i'm bored
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-26-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
To what Matt and David said, the first time a saw video of myself riding it was like a slap across face.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-26-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
I can do a Superman.

What about you guys?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2007, 10:49 PM Reply   
Hey, does anyone else rock a "good job horn" in their boat? I have one of those bike horns that sounds like a goose attached to my bimini right behind the driver. I really think it helps spread the stoke and generally get people pumped hearing that horn go off. Ohh yah, I kind of stole the idea from the DU crew years ago, so I got to give them respect for first figuring this out. So if you see a red vlx go by that sounds like a goose getting strangled; thats me.

I guess what I meant by my story is that I have personally learned that A LOT of people go through a phase in their riding where they think they are the shizz, or something special. I think in the future as wakeboarding grows this wont be the case. Its kind of like motocross in a sense. You start riding at the local OHV park and get pretty decent thinking you are fast. Then you roll out to your first legitimate MX track to realize there is a whole OTHER WORLD of riding you never knew existed. I think this happens with a lot of people. They start riding at their local lakes certain parts of the day consistently, never seeing anyone else ride. Then the other boaters that see them hype their ego by saying how cool it is to see someone doing flips, etc. lol. I guess all I am saying is I have seen this type of mentality happen all the time, and my story is kind of the generic real world situation of a hard lesson learned. I think this is especially true since most people are introduced to wakeboarding through their family's or relative's involvement. Its a pretty rare and fortunate advantage to be introduced to wakeboarding by someone with a good riding background.

Scott, can you show me how to do a donkey kick?

(Message edited by liquidmx on September 26, 2007)
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-26-2007, 11:03 PM Reply   
Wow, tough crowd. I think UncleJessie's post hit the the nail in the head, regarding the subject of this thread . . . some folks brag themselves to be better than they really are, and sometimes, it gets annoying. Very true.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-26-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
YOU CAN'T DO A DONKEY KICK???!!! OMG LIEK YOU SUCK! Upload

Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2007, 11:43 PM Reply   
Honestly I like finding out where people ride/what board/what tricks they try and do etc... I ride a lot and still am only hitting w2w 180's, grabs, and I huck 360s and backrolls with little success..I don't claim to be a good rider but i have a hell of a lot of fun doing it, and yes I do claim to be a wakeboarder. Does it make me a poser that Im not the best rider yet still love to do it??? All that matters is that your having fun. There is no room for egos in wakeboarding, and as far as wearing fox goes, pretty much all young white kids wear it not just those who wakeboard.....oh yeah if you have an ego and want to flex it, go post on wakeboarder.com....
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2007, 5:09 AM Reply   
JUST HAVE FUN....If you can ride a board, Your a wakeboarder. Yhea you'll find some arrogant braggers....but you'll find that in every sport. But you don't have to know and do all the tricks to be considered a wakeboarder. My brother in law watched a few guys do a trick, decided to try it and landed it no problem. Everyone was stoked in the boat and told him dude you landed a toeside 180 (he just started riding this year) he is like "what"? He now knows what a toeside 180 is by definition. but that was way too funny. As for Fox...gotta leave that brand alone. Fox is not specific to wakeboarding. They started with Moto cross way back in the 70's. I have the Fox Injection sunglasses. I absolutely love them. My wife bought them for me because she thought they looked good on me. Last night flipping through WBM I noticed Murray has the same pair...just a coincidence. I wear what looks good and feels good when riding. Some kids look up to their board heros and will buy the same stuff. That is why pro boarders get sponsors...to push their product. So let's lose the alternative skateboarder mentality. Just support our sport and make it grow! And maybe give a little less attention to the arrogant braggers.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-27-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
I was out on Sunday at Bullard's Bar and lucky enough to ride with Cobe Mikacich (sp?) Obviously, the dude kills it and he's telling me great job, right on, and encouraging everyone else for something as simple as getting out of the water. THAT's what it's all about to me. Yeah, I have stickers on my board but am not sponsored. Yes, I have a pair of Fox boardshorts. No, I still can not land a toeside 360.
But DO4, if you ask, I'll be sure to bring up the handle pass!
I've seen a lot of guys try to turn it into a snob and click affair but you'll get that anywhere you go.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
I still consider myself a newcomer to the sport (ive only been riding for a couple of summers now.) And ive participated in most of your "typical" sports (basketball, baseball, golf, etc.) and one of the greatest things that i have noticed with wakeboarding is the amount of support and positive attitudes wakeboarders tend to possess. I took lessons with Nick and Julez Heaney a few summers ago, and they were getting stoked as they helped out a kid land his third invert, which was really impressive. But it made my day when they became just as stoked as they taught me the correct form of a toe side edge and toe side jump. It didnt matter to them if you were inverted, or just carving around, they loved to watch all wakeboarders progress and have fun. I try to keep that same attitude. As we teach new comers and friends how to wakeboard, i get excited when the new WAKEBOARDER gets up for the first time, and gets the feeling of carving around. It isnt about your tricklist or your style. It is about being greatful that god has allowed you to be on the water and have a good time.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
Well said Cory!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-27-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
Anything you can do I can do switch, but not right now cause I'm hurt!!!

I would love to be able to just ride behind a boat. No jumping no tricks does that make me a posser (man that's a stupid word)
When I rode I rode for me, sure I would throw a big trick if there was a boat around who doesn't but I ride for the fun of it and to be with the crew. Anybody that ask me what tricks I can throw is the posser in my mind, I hate when people do that. I tell em' I can wake jump.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-27-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
i love this website..i really..really do.
Old    swass            09-27-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
I haven't added a trick to my list in years. In fact, I'm actually regressing. I feel so inadequate now.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-27-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
"Posers Rule"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-27-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
I suck ass at wakeboarding, and thats what I tell people to rule out great expectations.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-27-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Who cares why dont people just let people be stupid thats there choice its there life not saying its cool right or whatever but arent there soooo many other things to talk about. And D04 are you telling me that when you started wakeboarding and liked it you didnt want to be a big shot? You didnt tell people maybe something somewhat like what you were told by the so called POSER? to me thats bs if a kids stoked about the sport thats all that matters who cares if he said he can do a 3 and really cant dont let it ruin your day bro.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-27-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
All of posers should probably take any stickers we may have on our cars off as well....don't want people to get the wrong impression
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
I donate 'beginner' lessons behind my boat at charity auctions and call every single kid that gets up a 'wakeboarder.' I make a big deal of it with the little kids and they get pretty pumped to accomplish that. It is sad to think that they may be called posers now by some ' trick list' dudes.

Yeah some people embelish a bit and that is usually a sign of being male and adolescent and take it with a grain of salt. Most people grow out of it along with the attitude that my 'trick list' is bigger than yours.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-27-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
haha, Allen can jump the wake then fall out of the sky and land in the reeds at vicks.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-27-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
Uncle Jessie- as for braggin about a wake without riding others...come on...im lucky enough to have been able to ride other boats and work my ass off to finally get one of my own. im proud as hell of it!! and the wake is bad ass compared to the 17 foot sea ray that i used to have. so maybe next time cut some slack for the others out there that made a mistake about being proud of their boats/wake, or maybe pull the other guys that have yet to ride another boat. not everyone can afford to pay 60k to be accepted by haters.
Old     (tjm01)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-27-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
I can't do a backroll

I can't even do a 360

Does it matter to me?

No

Why?

Because I have fun and when I'm done I'm smiling from ear to ear.
Old     (cgilly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-27-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
I am a professional

I took a paid vacation day and went wakeboarding
I got paid while wakeboarding?
I must be a professional wakeboarder!

So I ask you, how could I be a poser and a professional?

I land W2W at least 20% of the time! Man I got Skilz, behind my Bayliner with a portable pylon.

DO4, relax bro, you're much too tense! Maybe you need a hug.
Old     (nbomzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
I guess Danny, Rusty, and Murray are posers because they wear Fox boardshorts.

Ill definitely admit to being a poser once. I was at the bar which is on the lake and my buddies and I told some chicks we were professional wakeboarders, they totally believed it. Funny thing is that when this happened we just had learned how to get up. I think it was hilarious.
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-27-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
i dont think the guy that posted this was meaning to be rude or put down anyone ... im sure everyone rides for fun and enjoy doing it but there is a time when people shouldnt try and make there selfs look better when they really shouldnt...no one should judge you on how you ride and what you do..the pros out there didnt pop out and start wakeboarding and became a pro..everyone starts out bad and if its in them to persue it then they get better or like myself..still suck but enjoy doing it...people shouldnt try to talk the talk if they cant walk the walk right ? its not just in wakeboarding that there is people trying to be or act better than other people when they arent...the only thing that bugs me is when people say they are pro when they arent...to me thats a poser..is people trying to get the limelight of the professional atmosphere when all in reality those people are doing there jobs and to me have a damn good job and im sure enjoy it and have fun and they are making this sport what it is today...so thank you to the pros and people that DONT LIE about who they are and what the do. Keep It ReaL.