Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (shaunnelson13)      Join Date: Jan 2016       07-29-2016, 1:22 PM Reply   
I am starting to look at Drones for filming and with all of the new technology I want to know your experience. Best for the buck drone with reliability, features and ease of use.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-29-2016, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunnelson13 View Post
I am starting to look at Drones for filming and with all of the new technology I want to know your experience. Best for the buck drone with reliability, features and ease of use.
You just going to be filming in general, or filming boarding or surfing?
Old     (shaunnelson13)      Join Date: Jan 2016       07-29-2016, 3:05 PM Reply   
All of the above. We do allot of activities so I will be filming action stuff.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-29-2016, 10:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
All of the above. We do allot of activities so I will be filming action stuff.
I did a lot of research before buying mine to shoot wakeboarding. You're basically looking at either the Yuneec Typhoon H or the DJI Phantom 4 unless you want to go professional level and spend a lot. Both of those will have autonomous flight modes fast enough to keep up at wakeboarding speeds. They also have a lot of other really great features that will help a lot with your filming.

Of the two, I went Typhoon H and LOVE it. The intro shots to this teaser vid I did for GRTW was all shot with it. I'll be editing some stuff I shot of Dean Smith, Amber Wing and Shaun Murray soon too. All of that was side/front/rear chase while they were riding and the drone was super solid. PM me if you have questions or I can help more.

https://youtu.be/MlIcbqZ6Gho
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       07-31-2016, 4:33 PM Reply   
wow...

sooo many G's. How do you decide which one to take out... ha
Old     (shaunnelson13)      Join Date: Jan 2016       08-01-2016, 11:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-01-2016, 1:37 PM Reply   
Did you consider the 3DR Solo?
Old     (shaunnelson13)      Join Date: Jan 2016       08-01-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
I did look at the 3DR Solo but allot of negative reviews. I will look further or if anyone has experience with this drone I would love to have your input.
Old     (Epic21v)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-01-2016, 2:02 PM Reply   
I highly recommend the Autel X-star Premium Drone.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-01-2016, 2:06 PM Reply   
I've got one. That's why I asked. Took it to Hawaii...

Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-01-2016, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
I did look at the 3DR Solo but allot of negative reviews. I will look further or if anyone has experience with this drone I would love to have your input.
My friend has one. Very cool drone with a lot of features. It has been very buggy though pretty much every time we have used it. Maybe he just has bad luck with it but I've yet to see a problem free outing.
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-08-2016, 3:08 PM Reply   
I did months of research before I got mine, I went with Autel robotics theX-start premium. I couldn't be happier with it. I choose Autel over DJI due to the reviews with customer service,( hear DJI is horrible) I had a couple questions on my X-star called Autel and on hold maybe 10 minutes, and walked me right thru all my little questions. I have flown mine about 20 hours on it so far zero issues or complaints.
Old     (sswright127)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-17-2016, 9:03 PM Reply   
Phantom 4 is my recommendation. Super simple to use, long battery life, obstacle avoidance, and active track. I shot this a few weeks ago off my brother's boat...

https://youtu.be/7sMMByCyd5k
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2016, 6:52 AM Reply   
cable vid

boat vid

I film a lot of wakeboarding with my phantom 4, good luck!
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-18-2016, 10:00 AM Reply   
Nice work guys.. Keep them coming, I have a bunch of footage just no time to edit. Blah soon..
Old     (Anderson24)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-18-2016, 10:50 AM Reply   
Posted this in a different thread... But here is a link to a sweet wakeboard edit I did a couple weeks ago. Phantom 3 Professional.

https://youtu.be/yvxDPfv2M48
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2016, 12:36 PM Reply   
I just picked up a Phantom 4. First drone, but I have decent collective pitch RC helicopter experience. I am blown away by the quality of the drone itself. Super easy to fly, software is simple and easy to use. I have only flown it a few times, but this was my first boat footage. I can't wait to get it out again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HveGPrTafA
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2016, 12:53 PM Reply   

from Stephen on Vimeo.

It's really fun when you fly close!

Last edited by stevo8290; 08-18-2016 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2016, 12:54 PM Reply   
Its best when you fly close
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2016, 12:56 PM Reply   

from Stephen on Vimeo.

Almost done sharing. Have made many instagram shorts this year. Insta is great that it reaches so many people. But the video quality gets hacked and you can only view on a really small window.
Old    Alexandra            08-19-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
wow that is so cool!!
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried the Phantom 3 for wakeboarding? Specs say it can fly at 35mph horizontally and has follow-me mode. Starting to research this and the 3 in the $500 range is much more palatable for a toy than $1,200 for the 4.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-30-2016, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrad View Post
Has anyone tried the Phantom 3 for wakeboarding? Specs say it can fly at 35mph horizontally and has follow-me mode. Starting to research this and the 3 in the $500 range is much more palatable for a toy than $1,200 for the 4.
a lot of people use phantom 1, 2 and 3 drones. definitely don't need a 4
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-30-2016, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:

Follow me mode will basically look like google earth images
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-01-2016, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yes on both, but not at same time is my understanding hahaha

Seriously, from all that I read the top speed in follow me mode is limited and won't hit wakeboarding speeds. The older phantom wakeboarding footage you are seeing is manual flight.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-01-2016, 2:55 PM Reply   
To chase wakeboarders riding boat i fly in sport mode as well. Literally the only way to get good shots is to risk it. I would get DJI care with it if you get one. You gotta risk it for the biscuit when it comes to drone shots and having some insurance on it is kinda like having a safety net and makes some situations a little less stressful
Old     (TURSTY)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-07-2016, 6:26 PM Reply   
I have an old Phantom 2 vision plus that I use to chase our boat and its fine for wakeboarding. I do wish I could get my GoPro on it though. All it needs is a decent Slow motion/high frame rate camera and it would be perfect.

Do any of the drones available today have anything close to a 60 or 120FPS camera?

There's a few vids of wakeboarding/amateur freestyle MX on my channel if you want to see what the P2 can do.

https://youtu.be/y3XQTOC571E
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-07-2016, 8:19 PM Reply   
are any of these drones water resistant ? or float?

seems like taking a huge risk with an expensive "toy"

I know that my heart has raced a few times with my T-rex 450 over the water
Old     (dhyams)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-14-2016, 8:10 AM Reply   
In answer to the Phantom 3 question, yes, it will work just fine. I have a P3S (2.7k camera) and the footage looks great. I'm not saying that the camera on the Phantom 4's is not a higher quality camera, but here's a sample (not wakeboarding, but my vacation) shot with the P3S:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwTpJBIoseY

It has plenty of speed to keep up with the wakeboarding boat; it can go 35 mph, but I find that it's best to keep it in the 20-25 range to keep the props out of the shot. I don't have any video on youtube, but I've used it for two outings and was pleased.

Last edited by dhyams; 09-14-2016 at 8:11 AM. Reason: trying to get youtube link to embed
Old     (Brianbam1)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-15-2016, 11:16 AM Reply   
Dude phantom 4 is where its at but you could just get the phantom 3 pro. save a little money and still have good quality footage. biggest difference in phantom 3 and 4 to me is that the 4 will do 50mph so good for dirtbikes and stuff lik, but the phantom 3 pro will do around 35 to 40 mph which is plenty fast enough for watersports. Here's and edit I made with phantom 3 pro:

Good Luck
Old     (Gtvrb)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-06-2016, 10:35 AM Reply   
I was out on the water with someone who lost their drone. It didn't take off correctly and hit the water. It totally sank like a stone. I was in the water maybe 10 ft from it and it was long gone before I got even close. The other thing to remember is that even if we were able to get the drone before it sank out of view it would have been toast from getting wet.
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       11-29-2016, 8:03 AM Reply   
does anyone have experience with the "follow me" modes on the phantom 4/4 pro? from what i've read, you can tell the drone to circle its target or fly along side. seems like that would be pretty cool to not have to worry so much about the flying and let the drone do its thing.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-30-2016, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
does anyone have experience with the "follow me" modes on the phantom 4/4 pro? from what i've read, you can tell the drone to circle its target or fly along side. seems like that would be pretty cool to not have to worry so much about the flying and let the drone do its thing.
We had a Phantom 4 our on the boat, and it was pretty weak actually. It could keep up with the boat up to about 10 to 15mph, but after that it wouldn't. It's cool for doing flight around a stationary or slow moving object, but no chance using it for wakeboarding.

We ended up putting the P4 on Sport mode and flying it manually. If you have a good pilot, it turns out pretty legit.

This was my buddy's first time flying from the boat and flying over water. He did pretty damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6g0xdk1KKo
Old     (NoNceNse)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-30-2016, 6:17 PM Reply   
https://youtu.be/czb5EUWlJlY

Here's my video with the Phantom 3 Pro a year and a half ago. I was a new pilot and only did some minor editing thru You Tube. As you can see I had no issue keeping up with the boat and had to slow down so I didn't over shoot the boat. The P3P is 4K and plenty fast if your looking for a budget option.
Old     (RKyper)      Join Date: Nov 2016       12-02-2016, 12:18 PM Reply   
I'd strongly suggest one of the Phantom 3 models (here's a description) as your first one. Many of the other brands like 3D Robotics and Lily can come with bugs. DJI is pretty reliable. And once you're comfortable flying and filming with it you can sell the 3 and upgrade to a 4, mavic, or whatever comes out in the future.
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       12-08-2016, 6:06 AM Reply   
does the phantom 3 have a hover mode or any kind of follow me mode?
Old     (pimpind)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-23-2017, 12:48 PM Reply   
Right now if i was going to get a drone (besides what I already have) it would be the mavic. The flight time and portability is awesome and the price point is great. The camera sensor is amazing but for what most people will be doing its fine.

It has all the latest tech including active track / tap to fly etc... Also flying at wakeboard speeds you wont get screws with props in shots like you will on any phantom frame (4/ 4pro etc...).

The p4p has an nice 1" sensor but the amount of props i see in video from makes me stay away.

Of course im a bit biased as i fly an inspire 2 x5s

Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-29-2017, 12:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpind View Post
Right now if i was going to get a drone (besides what I already have) it would be the mavic. The flight time and portability is awesome and the price point is great. The camera sensor is amazing but for what most people will be doing its fine.

It has all the latest tech including active track / tap to fly etc... Also flying at wakeboard speeds you wont get screws with props in shots like you will on any phantom frame (4/ 4pro etc...).

The p4p has an nice 1" sensor but the amount of props i see in video from makes me stay away.

Of course im a bit biased as i fly an inspire 2 x5s
Blades in the P4 shots is the worst thing about that rig. I saw a video JB made with one of the earlier phantoms and he managed to keep the blades out. He fly's just a tad higher and keeps the camera angled down so it always looks like the riders come up to the camera. That being said I need to learn how to do that this season because that JB's video is by far the best drone video of wakeboarding
Old     (pimpind)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-30-2017, 11:37 AM Reply   
Film in 4k, and scale to 1080 then scale up a bit to get rid of he props.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2017, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpind View Post
Film in 4k, and scale to 1080 then scale up a bit to get rid of he props.
thanks
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-30-2017, 12:23 PM Reply   
I will also vouch for the P3S doing just fine for following a boat @ 24.5 MPH. I never use the follow me modes, honestly feel more comfortable just flying it myself.

Its fun, but kinda trippy flying from a moving boat... my one bit of advice, NEVER look at the drone, only watch your FPV
Old     (jones737)      Join Date: May 2017       05-17-2017, 8:41 AM Reply   
Check out the DJI Mavic pro, I love how compact and portable it is and all the Different modes it has.
Old     (shaunnelson13)      Join Date: Jan 2016       05-31-2017, 12:20 PM Reply   
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUvQD0YjqBq/
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-31-2017, 12:39 PM Reply   
Best drone, best board, best boat, best wakeboarder..... the world may never know.
Old     (kirkbauer)      Join Date: Jun 2017       07-16-2017, 9:55 AM Reply   
Is there any drone that can follow slalom at 32mph?
Old     (jaykooch)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-21-2017, 5:20 AM Reply   
DJI Mavic. Hands down. You can get DJI Care, which is accident protection plan, that covers incidents with water. Also, sport mode allows you to fly up to 40 MPH with no wind. I've had no problem keeping up with slalom boats. I use it all the time. The intelligent modes are great as well, especially the tracking features. It can identify a boat, car, or person and act accordingly.

Lastly, I upgraded to the package with a case, extra props, batteries, etc. My favorite part about that was a USB and car adapter that came. I know can use the DJI battery as a portable phone charger and charge the drone batteries in the car on the fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fby3qDEXb8

Last edited by jaykooch; 07-21-2017 at 5:24 AM. Reason: Add a video
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-21-2017, 6:19 PM Reply   
+1 on Phantom 4...it's the only legit drone I've flown, but I love it. I get prop noise from time to time, but only when I'm not paying attention and turn too sharp. If you're smooth, you won't have that issue, plus you can play with the gimbal movement settings and reduce noise a bit. Super stable, easy to fly, amazing shots (pic and vid), and not too expensive. I bought a refurbished drone for $800 and have zero issues. Any DJI would work great though, so do some research and find what suits your needs the best. Speed-wise, plenty fast. I've had mine up to 50 mph with a tailwind and around 42 with no wind.

I always shoot pictures in 3-burst AEB mode, manual ISO/shutter, and do both jpeg and raw formats, then upload to my computer which then uploads to Google Photos. GP will automatically combine the 3 images to make HDR pics that are amazing, been super happy with it. Definitely look into doing this.
Old     (BobClark123)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-22-2017, 3:37 AM Reply   
This is the best so far, DJI Phantom 4.