Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-02-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
I want to add tower speakers to my boat, but I have some equipment questions for the experts....

I currently have a Pioneer deck with 4 inboard speakers, a sub and a 5 channel amp. I think I'm going to go with Polk Twin Pod Tower Speakers. So, do I need to get another amp or can I run them with the 5 channel I already have?

BTW: I don't to have people in the next county hear my stereo. We mainly surf and just listen to music when we are stopped. To be honest, the main reason for the tower speakers is because they make the boat look better.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-02-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Hello,

My gut feeling is yes, get an amp for the tower speakers, but without being 100% sure that that is the way to go....please tell us what you amp will do power wise on the 5 channels.

That will give us a better understanding of what you can do to get the post outcome possible.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
Depending on exactly why amp you have you can possibly get by with the 5 channel. We would need to know the model specs and what not of the in boats and the towers. Polk has a couple different models that require different power.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-02-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
Yes, model numbers of product will help with your answer your seeking.... Its pretty easy after that, matching ohm loads and wattages... cheers!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-02-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
Will a 5-channel amplifier run it all? That depends on the specific amplifier, how you run it, how you tune it and the distributed load.
The two tower channels will be a 2-ohm load. The two in-boat channels will be a 2-ohm load. If the fifth sub channel is also driving a 2-ohm load then you are loading down the amplifier as far as it can handle. Three or four out of five channels might not be an issue. Loading down all five channels places an inordinate workload on the power supply. And, this really tests the thermal stability on a July/August day. Many amplifiers deliver impressive power specs with a single channel driven at a time. But, with all channels driven it can be a completely different story.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-02-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
Yes I totally agree with david^^ but still give model numbers of your product so we can give you amp options for your tower speakers... Speaking on the 5 channel, it can be done but most won't recommend it... A 2 ohm load across the board will make it hot and work very hard to achieve the right SQ...
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-02-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
The current amp is a Hertz EP5

I'm pretty sure this is it: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...oducts_id=8119

Here is the speakers I'm planning on getting: https://www.onlyinboards.com/Accesso...-Speakers.aspx

Thanks for your help!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-02-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
My very inexperienced take is it looks like it would work and I don't think the DB polks require a ton of power although you won't have much if any headroom. The amp is going to be maxed out all the time. Also, in teh past the DB Polks were routinely recommended as a very affordable, best bang for your buck interior speaker but I seem to remember a lot of people say they didn't sound as good on the tower. Take whatever I jsut said with a grain of salt beacause I am not at all a stereophile and could be completely wrong.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-02-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
ok now with that, i will stand by my statement that you need another amplifier to run it for best overall performance. Those speakers are rated at 60w a speaker, so you will want a minimum of 240w going to the tower for 4 speakers to perform. I personally would like to see 75 - 100w per speaker because i have heard these speakers and that is the money spot I've witnessed they perform at. your amp is rated 95w at 2 ohm, so split that in half and you arrive at the wattage each speaker will receive... sounds low when you think about it but around 47.5w will work if you don't want to spend anymore money though, so know its your call on what you want to do.....
If I was spending $650 on a tower setup, i would want to push them at the best output possible for maximum performance. You can find amps in that wattage range in almost any manufacturer varying in price and quality...
So now your options:
1. Run everything on your 5 channel amp at a 2 ohm load like David pointed out...
negatives some would see in this application: In turn making it work hard all the time and run hot in a already warm and enclosed area, giving the potential for overheating or distortion to be introduced after running long periods pumping tunes. ( this is a tiny bit different on a regulated amps performance) I have never used or seen this amp in action... Or less wattage than the speakers desire as well causing you too feel less than satisfied maybe on the sound quality and performance.
Positives: it won't cost you anymore money to do this, they will work this way.

2. Buy a amp that will accommodate the proper wattage (60w) at least if not more (75 -100w) per speaker, to give you some great headroom, and in the process add a external fan for both amps to increase performance in the nasty heat we have been enduring this year...

my suggestions...
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-02-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
Add an amp, or you'll end up spending the money anyway on another amp when you fry your current one on a nice hot day with the speakers crankin'. Actually you'll need to buy 2 amps then or a very expensive one to run everything.
You can find a good 2 or 4 channel amp to drive those tower speakers for a couple hundred bucks. Add another $50 for some wire and a fuse and you'll be much happier with the system and it will last longer.