Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
Now they opened second one near Hamburg.
It can be assembled in 2-3 days!
I want one now!

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-09-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
they have one at the Wisconsin Dells Kalihari Resort... pretty cool!
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-09-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
that one throws deeper water tho.... the one at Kalahari you can only use a board that looks like a skim board with no fins... I just got back from there it was pretty sweet and definitely a blast but Idk how realistic it was because I have never ocean surfed... it was kinda similar to wakesurfin but not exactly because you can move so much more on the flowrider
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-09-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
flowrider at Kalahari is Much more like snowboarding than surfing. The board is more like a skurfer without straps. Fun but it won't replace surfing in any way.
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       09-09-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
I'll take one, maybe two depending on cost.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
I was pretty pumped to try "da wave" in maui (same concept as above, but not as deep) . I thought it would be no prob with my newly developed wakesurf skills....not even close to the same muscles. I'm pretty competent on a snowboard and I can wakesurf fairly good now, but that wave simulator was no easy task. I only tried it the one day tho and I heard it gets much easier...
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-09-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Jeremy, try a surflight flowriding board on the flowrider, its much easier to use than the boards they have. Its a great way to stay in shape during the off season!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpp4ZS6tMM
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Flowrider is more like xerocopy of wave than real surfing.
This one "The wave" is a exact copy of river surfing. Maybe next summer we will have one in Czech Republic too. ... Maybe
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-09-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
at the flowrider we used to go to there was an older guy who was a long time shortboarder ...... he totaly tore it up ...... he had the most awesome total surf style ...... he didnt stand up and snowboad it ...... so you can surf outrageously on a flow rider if you know how!!
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2010, 10:34 PM Reply   
I wish I had one near...it would be a great alternative in the NW for our 7 months of rain. Maybe I'll start one up
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-09-2010, 11:01 PM Reply   
So do they do these in US, and how much? Anyone know?
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
yes robert you need to install one of those in front of my teepee out in your meadow!!!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-10-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
i would love that large metal bar really close to my face!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
@frank, oh believe me, I would. If it was about the cost of say a pool, but I am sure its a lot more. I can't imagine how much electricity it must use rotating all of that water.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-10-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
I thought it would be fun just to check out so I did some diggin. I found one "yahoo answer" where someone asked the same question and someon answered them 60-75k. I thought....doable. (not for personal use, but not bad investment for a business). so I emailed flowrider to confirm and it turns out its closer to 750k for single, 1.25mil for double. ....that's just a tad out of my range..
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
Y, if it was like a real expensive pool...

But that is a tad on the high side. Its gotta be due to what it takes to circulate that water around, and its gotta suck a bunch of juice.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-11-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
I bet Nikki Sixx and I could come up with a way to do it much cheaper than that.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
dave! i havent heard from you in forever!
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-11-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
So I have had this idea for about 15 years now they need to just flattin out the surf bump leave it about six to 12 inches deep and make wider, add a boat hull that can be lowered and raised to creat the wake. BOOM wakeboar/wakeskate heaven.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-11-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
That would be easy to see if it would work. Just take your boat, and a huge anchor to a fast river. Anchor it, and sink that thing down. See what kind of a wake you can get. If it's sweet, you can surf your heart out, and not pay a penny for gas.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-11-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Itch (fullonsalesgrp) Join Date: Jan 2004 Today, 11:22 AM Reply Quick Reply
So I have had this idea for about 15 years now they need to just flattin out the surf bump leave it about six to 12 inches deep and make wider, add a boat hull that can be lowered and raised to creat the wake. BOOM wakeboar/wakeskate heaven.
That seems like it should work. That would be so awesome!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
@dtw cool, the ghetto rider ;-)

I live just a mile or so from one of the forks of the feather river that flows into Lake Oroville. I was thinking about that this year, looking for a spot to take RJ and river surf. We get people from all over the world that come in here to run the river. There are several other branches, and the Sac river also. Trick would be to find some place safe.

I am thinking you couldn't drop anchor like that, because the boat attitude wakesurfing I think has a lot to do with the drive of the prop. Still would be an interesting experiment. I tell you this, if someone did it anywhere within a few hours of me, we would be there to film it. Gotta love ghetto R&D.

Another thought... There are places up here where the rivers runs fast in June, etc. No way to launch a surf boat in there safely. But you could rent a back hoe and get it to the edge in several places. Some attachment on the end, slowly dip in the water and test like that. Seems safe and doable. I would think the back how would be strong enough to press the shape into the water enough for the effect.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
But when your boat release from that anchor, it will run over you and your party will be over
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
thats a big backhoe!! and would not be cheap to rent even... my family runs a farm and excavating biz and trust me it would not even be feasible to pikc up a boat and put it in the water... then also have the backhoe fight the current when touching the water...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-14-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
lol, I don't mean to pick up a boat. I mean to drop a shape, like the corner of a hull into the moving water. Some type of wedge, not a whole boat. You know what I mean?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-14-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
I will talk to Nikki Sixx. We'll draw up some plans.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-14-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
I think that putting certain shape on bottom of a river is the way to do it. Just made some scale models and you will find it.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-14-2010, 10:26 PM Reply   
Check here, for the shape on the bottom that does it, seems pretty simple.

http://www.surfingvancouverisland.co...ndingwaves.htm
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
Yep I've seen this pic before Ragboy, simle step can create a wave.
I think that these Germans use simple small triangle profile at bottom.