Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-29-2011, 9:05 PM Reply   
Been experimenting with some different weight set ups and trying to find out the best combo. Ive run MLS full 1350 lbs, 1000 lbs of stereo/batteries evenly distributed around the boat and have played around with placement of the sacs. I tried running 750 up front and two 550's in rear. Wake was mackin. It had a hard time keeping speed with the wedge in the down position so put wedge back up. Even with Acme 1235 took a while to get on plane

Next tried MLS full + stereo/batts with 550 in front and 750 on rear seat and 550 on rear floor - no wedge. Pretty damn nice.

Today tried MLS full plus stereo/batts plus 550's on the starboard and port side side seats near the rear and no 750 up front but did run the wedge. This seemed to be a pretty good balance and wake was huge. Also got on plane much quicker than previous set ups. I didnt try this set up w/o wedge.

So ive been running between 3250-4000 lbs of ballast and Acme 1235 and Monsoon 350. Is your boat seem sluggish with that much weight with that same prop and motor combo?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2011, 10:06 PM Reply   
why aren't you running anything in the walkthrough/mid-ship? That's the prime spot and is the deepest part of your boat. More weight there will give you a bigger footprint. It will also help you plane out sooner.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2011, 6:08 AM Reply   
not sure about your weighting, but the picture of somebody standing on the vinyl while strapped into a wakeboard is cringe-worthy.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-30-2011, 6:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
not sure about your weighting, but the picture of somebody standing on the vinyl while strapped into a wakeboard is cringe-worthy.
But all the pro's do it...

I don't understand it. I have a friend that puts his board on, on the back pad and I make fun of him for it. Riders don't do this on my boat. Factory, don't be surprised when Malibu doesn't honor your warranty request for seat and rear hatch skins. It would have been a better call to just post a pic of the wake.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
jesus christ - board on the vinyl?????????????????????
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-30-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
jesus christ - board on the vinyl?????????????????????
Sometimes its okay - but not with the board - didn't that run the Razor sharp Hyperlite P-wings? those were soooo effin' sharp
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       08-30-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
lol
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-30-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
Hopefully he's just using the molded fins.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
its just a boat. sure you guys wouldn't be saying anything if 5 girls were jumping up and down on the seats partying...
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       08-30-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
i've never seen a board cut the vinyl like that in the 15 years i've been wake boarding
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavlxenvy View Post
why aren't you running anything in the walkthrough/mid-ship? That's the prime spot and is the deepest part of your boat. More weight there will give you a bigger footprint. It will also help you plane out sooner.
B/c im running two Kinetik 2400's - 150 lbs in the walkway, plus two XS-XXX and boxes under driver and passenger side plus two Interstates. plus driver and a passenger typically.

Last edited by factorykitted; 08-30-2011 at 8:36 AM.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
sorry, but I agree w/ comments above. I didn't even notice the the sacs in the pic, just the board on the back of the boat... And as far as weighting it looks like you have too much weight in the back, my buddy had that boat and it needs the weight in the front...
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk22 View Post
sorry, but I agree w/ comments above. I didn't even notice the the sacs in the pic, just the board on the back of the boat... And as far as weighting it looks like you have too much weight in the back, my buddy had that boat and it needs the weight in the front...
guess you didnt read my original post. plus i think a summer of partying is far worse than putting a fat sac on a seat for 2 hours.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-30-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
Brian,
You definately need some weight in the front as well. The 500lb sac would be good in the walkway or up on the bow seats.

...and don't listen to the na-sayers about the board on the vinyl. I have been doing it for years (as have many in my regular crew) and we have not so much as marred the vinyl in the 10 years or 930hrs we have been using my MasterCraft.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-30-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
We run similar weight in our Axis and we have issues sometimes. We have the Raptor 400 and the 1235. We are at 5k ft of elevation so we are losing ~15% of our HP so we are right around your HP. When we really sack out the boat, 1100s in each rear compartment filled to about 900lbs, factory 900 full, front 950lb bag and a 550 up front we have to keep the wedge up to plane out. If you really want to run tons of weight and the wedge you are probably going to have to swap out your prop for the 1615 or the new OJ 5 blade. One of those 2 props is the next upgrade we are doing.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
When i ran the 750 on the seat and 550 on the floor in the pics i was also running a 550 in the bow on top of factory and batteries, etc - i think some of you arent reading that part.

it felt like two 550's in the rear and 750 up front was way too nose heavy.

Last edited by factorykitted; 08-30-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-30-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorykitted View Post
When i ran the 750 on the seat and 550 on the floor in the pics i was also running a 550 in the bow on top of factory and batteries, etc - i think some of you arent reading that part.
So you have the 300lbs MLS in the bow also? if so you still have too much weight in the back. If you want a hard wake you need more weight up front. More of the boat that's int he water the more energy your wake will have. If you have a ton of weight in the back you'll get a tall soft wake. Your wake won't be as tall with more weight up front, but it will have more pop to it. I run 950 in each of my back lockers 500 center and 1200 bow plus wedge. Due to my engine size and abing at alt I typically have to let water out of the back to plane, but the wake my little VTX throws with that setup throws you straight up into the air. get as much boat in the water as you can for a very poppy wake
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-30-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorykitted View Post

it felt like two 550's in the rear and 750 up front was way too nose heavy.
You want atleast 60% of what you have in the back upfront. So you're running 1500 in the back and 1050 up front if you have the bow. That's 70% and actually not a bad setup at all. what are you looking for out of your wake?
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
So you have the 300lbs MLS in the bow also? if so you still have too much weight in the back. If you want a hard wake you need more weight up front. More of the boat that's int he water the more energy your wake will have. If you have a ton of weight in the back you'll get a tall soft wake. Your wake won't be as tall with more weight up front, but it will have more pop to it. I run 950 in each of my back lockers 500 center and 1200 bow plus wedge. Due to my engine size and abing at alt I typically have to let water out of the back to plane, but the wake my little VTX throws with that setup throws you straight up into the air. get as much boat in the water as you can for a very poppy wake
Yes, front MLS full and also have two Kinetik 2400's in the walk way along with two Interstates and two heavy 12's in giant boxes.

Along with four more Kinetik 1800's, two more 12's and four Syn1's and three Syn4's. This really is not apples to apples when comparing other boats. I just calculated 450 lbs just in batteries. That doesnt include all the other crap in the boat. Lots of 1 guage wire, king starboard and bunch of other random stuff. It has be well over 1000 lbs in gear.

Im very happy with the wake, i was just wondering what pther guys were doing with the LSV.

Last edited by factorykitted; 08-30-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-30-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
Got any pictures of the wake? I am betting it is pretty damn big with all that weight.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
i'll snap some pics next time i go out. yes its pretty massive. to be honest im pretty happy the with the wake out of the box just using full MLS and wedge but its always fun to load it down.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-30-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
Haters!!! hahahahaha. It's his boat. If he wants to take a crap on the vinyl, then that's his choice.

We've got the 6.0 motor, which is really nice. With the factory high altitude prop it takes about 15 seconds to get on plane. Def not fast by any stretch. Add more than 3 people to our set-up and we don't get on plane. So take it for what it's worth....

Factory 4 tank
Wedge all the way down.
500 sac in each locker
750 across nose, all the way full.
80 lbs lead all the way in the tip of the nose
500lbs lead where your kinetics are
300lbs lead under the seats distributed evenly
160lbs lead that floats for balancing the boat. Usually on the floor toward the back of the passenger compartment.

The wake is awesome like this. The nose rides really low, though, so be careful. Anyone riding up front is guaranteed to get wet when the boat comes off plane.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
Seems like our weight set up is pretty similar evan. Only thing is both of my rear lockers are filled up with 12'' XXX's on each side along with some other stuff. So i either put the 550 on the port/starboard side floor/seat as far back as they will go. After labor day i will likely take the woofers out the rear lockers since partying season comes to an end right about then.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-31-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
Weight in those back lockers is pretty critical. You could put some lead in under the subs maybe?

I've gotta say, the LSV is fairly weight sensitive. I absolutely love the wake, but it's one of the few big boats that I notice a 150lb weight change in. Move it front to rear and it totally changes wake shape. If we could re-prop and get another thousand or so pounds I think the wake would be un-real. We're only just touching the potential right now.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-31-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
I agree. One person in the wrong spot and it will wash one side out. Well our wakeboarding season in texas really starts after labor day - schools back in, parents that use to have free time in summer now have soccer practice to and sack lunches to make now. Since the party since will slow down quite a bit i will likely yank the subs out. Anyone want to buy some practically new XXX's?