Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-25-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
So out today while I was riding, I fell my buddy pulled off the gas and started to turn around to come pick me up. I didn't see it, but a boat passing the other the way pulled an aggressive power turn right next to my boat and threw some massive rollers over the bow.From where I was, it looked like the bow was about to go under. By the time I swam to the boat, there was water up passed the floor.

The water was up above the v-drive and transmission. I checked for water in both, looked good, but I'm going to change it tomorrow anyway. I'll take care of the engine oil as well. Anything else I should worry about?

The stereo will be a totally different problem. The amps or something is definitely messed up. Along with an Ipod.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-26-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
what happened with the other boat? If he came too close, he is liable.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-26-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
It's rarely enforced but you are always liable for any damage your wakes cause. Keep that in mind when you roll past a low profile boat with a big wake. You could end up buying somebody a new phone or camera if they get swamped.

Brian, If I were you I would have chased the boat down and called the sherriff. They would have been replacing my amps.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-26-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
He came way too close, for the second time of the day. I called the cops, but nothing happened. They were obviously idiots, drunk, or both. I didn’t catch the registration #, so looks like I’m out of luck.

Definitely was not a good feeling. I was 50 yards away looking at my boat, nose almost in the water and the back end pointing up. I couldn’t get the board off fast enough and swim over there.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-26-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
That blows dude. Isn't there a 100 foot rule in most states? Too bad you didn't get the reg #'s. I'd be pissed too.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-26-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
Mikeski, The boat was in no shape to be chasing anybody down at the moment. The bilge was completely filled, and above the floor.
Old     (ryon29)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-26-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
man thats no good......where you on ray hubbard or lewisville?
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-26-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
I was out at Ray Roberts. I live only a couple hundred yards from Lewisville, but drove to Ray Roberts to get away from the idiots. Too bad they are everywhere.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
Were you carrying extra ballast? We run pretty heavy and its always a possibility especially when running a lot of nose weight. I like running a bow cover because it does help a little with front swampage.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-26-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
At the time I was only running stock ballast, 1250 lbs. So it wasn't like I was sitting extra low in the water. He was so close and the rollers were so big they hit the windsheild.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
As far as other boat's throwing rollers and swamping you. IMO 90% of not getting swamped is driver skill. The lower your boat sits the more you have to be aware of the. Brian having a Bu and they sit pretty high this must have been a huge roller. But with that said if you put your boat at the wrong angle it's pretty easy to swamp any boat.
I have seen some people driving around with lots of weight and people up front and it looked like they could swamp them self's just buy going a few miles per hr faster. The smallest roller would swamp them. Mike your telling me if your smaller roller swamped them your liable dosen't seem right.

And one last thing. When Im pulling someone the boat's saftey and people on-board is a higher priorty than getting back to the fallen rider asap. If I need to power up throw it in reverse or loop around to avoid getting swamped then that's exactley what Im gonna do. IMO as Long as your putting your boat between u and the fallen rider creating a block for the fallen rider its all good.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-26-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
That sucks man.... Bow cover does not do that much good. I have mine on most of the time and have had that happen before.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
I think it would be extremely difficult to prove in court, that someones wake caused your weighted boat to sink.
Old    K.B.C.            07-27-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
"IMO 90% of not getting swamped is driver skill."
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-27-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
I agree, Grant. My old Sanger was a mission in itself to keep out of other rollers.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
90%++ is skill but I've been on the 10% side on a few occasions and that usually has been a nasty situation or my crew was not ready for a throttle bump.

I'll get a bit of water on the floor but the water has to migrate into the bilge. That must have been one big wave to fill the bilge and the boat.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-27-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
Keep an eye on your starter and I would grease steering cable and try to open the boat up as much as possible to get everything dried out.

I am guessing your boat was on the inside part of the other boats turn where the triples were. You can get some massive rollers then.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-27-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
I didn’t see if for myself, but my buddy who was driving is a boat owner himself, so I trust his driving abilities. I’d like to think, as most of us would, that I personally could have avoided the rollers. However I wasn’t there or even watching at the moment, I was relaxing in the water and looking at the clouds. From what the driver and my girlfriend told me the other boat was running the opposite direction in a parallel path to ours. As my boat powered down and began the turn around the other boat turned toward our path, made a full 180 turn very close to my boat. The first roller went over the windshield, I heard this from the water it was very loud. I looked up in horror to see the second, third and maybe more hit the windshield.

To answer my question, the dealer said to check the transmission, v-drive, and the starter for water damage. The stereo is being looked at by my audio guy, both amps have the red error light. The ipod is also still on the glitch, comes on but you can select anything.

As far as the other boater, this was the second problem I had with him that day. Earlier that day, my girlfriend was surfing and fell. He did a full turn around me and her, within 25 feet of her, just to pull his tuber over our wake. I yelled at him at he was too close, he didn’t even notice. After he swamped my boat, he came back by talking garbage like he didn’t something cool. Unfortunately he was just far enough away that I could not make out his registration #’s. I did call the cops, to at least get him hassled, ticketed or something, but of course nothing came of it.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
That's exactly why I don't carry a gun.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-27-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
No doubt Tim
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-27-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
in texas its a 50 foot law and i think that is wayyyy too close for comfort
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
a gun is pretty lame whats wrong with your fists man?

On the D we have a different way to fix problems. I had a guy pull some simlar stuff sat. He was talking ish when i past him later. I edged SUPER hard let go of the rope and land on his swim platform. Needless to say he stfu and pussed out when i was there and ready to roll.

Thats suxs dude i always have issues taking a bit of water over my nose( same boat) i run over 1k in the bow. The driver is like said above 90% of the equation. Just because someone owns a boat doenst mean he's good at driving a dumped boat in a busy area. But when someone gets to close they are just too close.

on the delta its common for people to be around 15-20 feet very often. its just the way it is.

Hopefully your stuff drys out is ok. I have washed by i pod after after 2 days it worked again.

Nice boat btw
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-27-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
Nick if anyone lands on my swim platform uninvited it would be go time for me. Definate altercation no matter how much of a douche or how big you are. ;)
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
ya gene exactly. Were I'm from you dont talk ish unless your ready to back it up. He was talking so i gave him the chance he was all talk until i gave him real opportunity. Im not going to attack someone but a mutual fight im game for.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2009, 1:03 AM Reply   
That sucks hope it all works out, might be able to help you save one piece of equipment. You can try a master reboot with the iPod no guarantee.

To reset iPod video, iPod nano, iPod mini, iPod mini (Second Generation), iPod photo, and iPod (Click Wheel)

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10
seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

3. If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

4. If this doesn't work, then you need to leave the ipod on until its battery is completely drained. Plug it in and when it charges enough go to #1. Repeat as needed.

If above does not work than try this:

1. You need to restart your iPod before putting it into Diagnostic Mode. Check that your hold switch is off by sliding the switch away from the headphone jack. You should not see any orange. Toggle it on and off to be safe.

2. Press and hold the following combination of buttons simultaneously for approximately 10 seconds to reset the iPod.

iPod 1G to 3G (scroll & touch wheel iPods): "Menu" and "Play/Pause"

iPod 4G+ (includes Photo, Nano, Video, and Mini): "Menu" and "Select Center Button"

iPhone & iPod Touch: "Menu" and "Sleep Button"

If you iPod isn’t listed here, please see this page for more info.

3. The Apple logo will appear and you should feel the hard drive spinning up. Press and hold the following sequence of buttons:

iPod 1G to 3G: "REW", "FFW" and "Select"

iPod 4G+ (includes Photo, Nano, Mini, etc.): "REW" and "Select"
You will hear an audible chirp sound (3G models and higher) and the Apple logo should appear backwards. You are now in Diagnostic Mode. Don't worry, running these diagnostic tests will NOT damage or corrupt the data (music, photos, play lists, videos, etc.) on you iPod?

4. Navigate the list of tests using "REW" and "FFW". The scroll wheel will not function while in diagnostic mode.

NOTE: If you run the Hard Drive Diagnostic Test, make sure you have your iPod connected to a power source. This test requires a lot of power will drain your battery in the matter of minutes.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-28-2009, 5:26 AM Reply   
Nice move Nick...like a performer in a ski show without the silly outfit.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-28-2009, 5:29 AM Reply   
Bury the iPod in a bowl of rice for 3 days before you try to mess with it anymore. The rice will suck the water out. I jump in the lake with my iPod or cell phone in my pocket at least once a year. This will work like a charm most of the time.