Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-28-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
well looong story short our boats been running like crap. its got the 315hp mag motor. nail the throttle all it will do is rev to about 2500 for a while then it will surge up and down, once it gets going it runs great. we changed plugs, wires, filters, etc with no fix of the problem so we give up and take it to the local sanger dealer..... heres where it gets interesting

mechanic says, "oh its probably just some dirt in stuck in the fuel tank pump ive seen this before it will be a quick fix." $100 diag. time later he tells us it's the "big alternator" we put on for our stereo, we fried the ECM and we need to put the stock alt. back (so we took it home and did that) so he can run some more tests. today the dealer calls us, "come pick up your boat, we dont know what's wrong with it but your stereo did it." no fix

i have a few questions that i would like your guys/gals opinions on. 1. dont we have the right to get our 100$ back. we knew it was broke when we brought it in, giving it back to us broke with not even an idea of what went wrong doesnt really diagnose anything. 2. anyone know any mechanics with some awsome turn-around time they'd like to recommend in the antioch/brentwood/bryon or surrounding areas? were already out 2 weeks and i can only have nighmares of how much longer it could be in summer i know most are swamped with work....

thanks
mike

(Message edited by seaswirlmike on June 28, 2006)
Old    bocephus            06-28-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Call Scott Pellaton, he will get it fixed.
Old    bigrich            06-28-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
I dont know about getting your money back if you signed for $100.00 diag fee. What gets me is how can they blame your stereo for the problem if they dont know what the problem is. Doesnt make sense. I manage the service department of a large car dealer and if we couldnt diagnose a problem we would not charge a penny (we have never been stumped given enough time). Now out of personal experience if you contact the manager/owner and explain your situation they may refund especially if you get it fixed elsewhere. If you are dealing with Tracy boats then dont waste your time because the owner is an idiot. I bought a 50K boat from them and when I brought it in for the 20 hour service they didnt touch the boat for a week and when I confronted her about it she basically told me to pound sand and if I didnt like it to hit the road. Hows that after spending a ton of money.
Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
Hey Mike rich is right about tracy Boat sales those guys in service are idiots. Call the Boat Dock in fremont they do a lot of work on Sangers I am sure they can help. Yes call Scott and tell him were you went and I sure he will help you also. lol
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-28-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Mike--
Call Bill at Topside Marine (408) 224-2628 in San Jose. He has helped me in the past.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-28-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
I take our Sanger to Delta Sport boats in Antioch. I am very happy with the work they have done for me.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-29-2006, 5:54 AM Reply   
Mike,
You can try Kevins Prop Shop in Antioch. He does minor engine work/tune ups and I've heard nothing but good about his work/service.
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-29-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
thanks everyone!! i will end up trying one of those mechanics you recommended..... its funny we took the sanger to one of the two dealerships mentioned(i wont name any names). some people have great things to say about the one and bad about the other and vise-versa, i guess its all about how they deal with your problems. i think were going to go back and try and have another talk with the dealership in question here and see if we cant work something out that works for the both parties. i dont think its fair for a mechanic to say i dont know whats wrong, like rich said, with enough time they should be able to figure it out. thats why we scheduled an appointment with them, so they had plenty of time.....

mike

(Message edited by seaswirlmike on June 29, 2006)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-29-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
IF the stero did it why didnt' they disconenct the stero put in a new ECM and see how it ran??? I seriously doubt the stereo did it. Do you have your alt running thru your ECM? Mine goes straight to the battery where everything is fused.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-29-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
First call Scott Pelaton, sounds as though you are having the same problem I had which the dealorship had my boat for over a month (2x) and could not figure it out, took Scoot less than 30mins. Air pocket in the Fuel injection line. You might not have the same problem but Scott would be the one to call.

I second what Tate said and take it to Delta Sport Marine.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-29-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
IF the stero did it why didnt' they disconenct the stero put in a new ECM and see how it ran??? I seriously doubt the stereo did it. Do you have your alt running thru your ECM? Mine goes straight to the battery where everything is fused.

Reminds me of the knob who tried to sell me a 2003 tahoe a few years ago and asked me if I have heard how good the quality of sound is out of a CD compared to a tape. This tahoe had the latest greatest invention called a compact disc player. Sorry for the hijack
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-29-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
forgive my ignorance but ive never heard of this scott pelaton that everyone talks so highly about. whats his story he sounds like a guy i want to know...
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-29-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
adam: all the same questions that ran through my head. and yes we have our alt hooked up the same way.

forgive my ignorance but ive never heard of this scott pelaton that everyone talks so highly about. whats his story is he a mechanic? if so he sounds like a guy i want to know... does anyone have his phone #

(Message edited by seaswirlmike on June 29, 2006)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-29-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
He's the BIG DOG for SANGER..

Very cool, down to earth person who treats everyoneas the most important customer/friend he has..
Old    bigrich            06-29-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
Give up some phone #'s for Sanger guys. Sounds like he needs to take some of my money too if he's that good and down to earth.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-29-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
510-651-8400 is his number. Oh by the way he won't just take your money, he'll just help get the problem fixed.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-29-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Mike,

I would ask to see the ECM scanner at the dealership. Mercruiser motors are have specific scanners like this: http://216.230.203.183/marine/mtspec.htm

They give very good diagnostic reports, but they are expensive so some of the dealers skimp and do not buy one. I would suspect that a $100 diagnostic would equate to one hour of ECM based diagnostics. They should be able to produce specific codes just like they do no cars. Ask them what specific error codes were produced?

For others before you take your Mercruiser based motor in for any service at any dealership I would ask to see their ECM scanner. No dealer service is complete without a quick scan of the ECM. If they don't have one look elsewhere. One benefit of Mercruisers is that there are lots of dealers of bigger offshore type boats with the right tools and skilled mechanics equipped to do very good work. I wish I could say the same for the rest of us running PCM and Indmar marined motors.
Old    bigrich            06-29-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
I didnt mean it that way. I dont mind paying for a job well done that keeps my family on the water.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-29-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
hey no worries Rich, alls good...

Mikeski, my ECM produced no error codes on mine by the way.