Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       05-03-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
I can get either boat fully loaded (ballast, perfect pass, etc.) Both boats are 34K. Now I know that the X-Star is virtually the 205V and the X-30 is basically the Maristar 230V. Which one has the better wake? Am I wrong to assume that the bigger V-drive will give a better wake? I like the fact that the X-30 fits more people, but I've also heard that the X-star throws a better wake. Any pros and cons, or any insight will help. Thanks guys!
Old    wakefunx2            05-03-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
X-star all they way. Unless you have a fmaily...a big family, then i would go with the X-star. Bigger isnt always better, yes you can get a big wake, but it takes more weight to get the boat lower in the water to get at bigger wake. The X-star being smaller and not as wide, you get more vert to the wake, and with the smaller X-star you dont need as much weight to get a good wake out of it. So i would say its more of a question of what your needs are, if you need a boat with alot of room, go with the X-30, if you want a wakeboard boat, then get the X-star.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-03-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
Ditto what Cort said
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-03-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
X-star unless you ride in pretty rough water a lot. The 30 has a deeper v hull while the star has more of a flat bottom with tracking fins. The handling will be crisper on the star, while the 30 will handle the chop a bit better.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       05-03-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
What do you guys think about the 2001 X-10?
Old    wakefunx2            05-03-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
Still the same problem as a X-30 and no tracking fins, if you want a wakeboarding boat, go with the X-star
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-03-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
you could buy them both for less than a new one...
Old    bambamski            05-03-2005, 12:36 PM Reply   
What are you using the boat for?

If you're cruising around, have lots of people in the boat and do some wakeboarding go for the X-30 or 10. Forget what anyone says about the tracking fin crap. Those two boats don't need them. If you can find me anyone that can pull these two boats offline while skiing or boarding they must be the worlds best freaken wakeboarders of all time.

Ok, enough tracking fin comment. The X-star or X-2 isn't very big and doesn't handle the chop very very well at all. If you have a regular crew of 4-7 people and all you do is board then the X-star would be a better choice.

We used to have an X-10 and it was a great boat. Handled fine, and it through a good enough wake for 99% of the boarders out there. We bought the X-2 because I didn't need a boat that handled the rough water, and I hated having more than 8 people in my boat. It doesn't matter how big your boat is, more than 8 people sucks.

Any of the three boats would make a good choice.

When you're looking at these 2001 models make sure you look at two different things. The stock pumps that came with the 2001's sucked. Ask if they've been replaced. The Steering cable in that year wasn't very good as well. Ask if it's been replaced or test to see if it's ok. Changing the cable out can be very expensive and should be covered under the warrenty still.

Good luck
Old    milo_lite            05-03-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
I have the X-30 (well ok the maristar 230v fixed up as an x-star).. So far none have complained about the wake, it fits up to 12 people, great to go partying in, and well it drives like a mercedes..But i guess people say the x-star is better for boarding, iam not into boarding a whole lot..
Old    milo_lite            05-03-2005, 12:54 PM Reply   
i meant to say maristar fixed up as a x-30
Old    wakefunx2            05-03-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
Hey Pat - Tracking fins do matter, and no it does not take the "worlds best freaken wakeboarders of all time" at all to pull a X-2/X-star off line, it take a 6'4 235lb guy who sucks at wakeboarding, but hey he just stared last season. And the pumps in 2001 were fine, infact they still use the same ones through 04, its just the impellers that were bad, they didnt have a medal fitting in the center of the impeller, so the rubber would get worn and stop working, simple fix, just go spend about 20$'s and get the new impellers with the brass center and you wont have a problem any more.
Old    bambamski            05-03-2005, 2:28 PM Reply   
I was talking about pulling an X-30 or 10 offline. Never once did anyone pull me offline when I was driving my X-10. I've haven't logged enough hours on my new boat to know if it tracks any better. It doesn't feel like it though. It does corner sharper but it's a much smaller boat.

I replaced my 2001 pumps in 02 because they were worthless. The only way they'd work was if I put the boat in reverse first to prime them. After they were replaced I never had to do that again. The old pumps wouldn't fill at the same rate as well for some reason.

I'm not telling Rachel to pick any specific boat at all Cory. I'm just letting her know what problems the 2001's had is all. She needs to figure out what the boat is going to be used for and buy the model that works the best. I'm pretty sure nobody would complain about going from no boat to an X-30 or something. Can't really go wrong...
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-03-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Xstar no doubt
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-05-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
I have an X30 (for sale), and can say that the wake is WIDE. Definately a fun wake to ride behind, but it is a long way across. Xstar of that year is a great wakeboarding boat, but it is smaller. Just decide what you need the boat for. I spend more time in the boat than behind it, so I pick the one that is the most comfortable.