Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-21-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
Any suggestions? I'd like to be able to create quality DVDs but also convert some existing .wmv's that I have to DVD format. I'd like to make decent looking menus and stuff as well.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-22-2004, 5:05 AM Reply   
Regardless of what encoder/authoring SW you use it's best to start with the original DV material if you can. WMV's are already way compressed and probably won't translate well. (Unless WMV's are a scalable format which is the "next big thing")
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-22-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
I just launched what is considered the best DVD/CD burning/Video/Photo Software in the industry - Easy Media Creator. Send me an E Mail, and I'll see about sending you a full version sample from my spare closet. The new Videowave component will create a great DVD for you as well as allow you to burn and copy your material without too much effort.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-22-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
Andre:

I use Premier Pro 7.0, but it's kind of expensive. Microsoft has just released Microsoft Movie Maker. You can download it at www.microsoft.com/updates for windows XP. It's free. I've never used it, but it's free.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
John, thanks but I don't think you can use Movie Maker to burn to DVD, and I'm not "into" video editing enough to be motivated to learn Premier.

I use Movie Maker to put my vids together, but want to be able to put together a nice DVD as well as share them with friends on the net. My understanding is that that would require still finishing my vids as .wmv's but also finishing them in an .avi file so that they can be better converted to DVD format, but I am learning as I go and may be wrong on this.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-22-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
Do you already own a DVD burner? If not many of the DVD drivers come bundled with FREE lite versions of dvd software. In my case I purchased a pioneer drive and it came with DvDIt LE (http://www.dvdit.com/) which is basic to say the least, but it's great for creating quick and simple menus.

If you're PC based and you really need the ability to create motion/complex menus then you should take a look at Adobe's Encore. This option is not cheap, but it will allow you to create professional looking menus. Expect to spend a few hours to get a hang of the applications before feeling comfortable and being able to pump dvds out.

By saying "create quality DvDs" are your referring to look and feel of the menus/features on the dvd? If so then be prepared to spend a lot of time using Photoshop, illustrator, etc (or with other similar programs) to create those cool graphics. If you want to go the extra mile and create animations then something like After Effects will come in handy as well.

(Message edited by dcervenka on April 22, 2004)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-22-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
Andre:

That sucks. I didn't realize Msft didn't implement that. My DVD burner came with either Roxio or Cyberlink. You're welcome to either since I don't use them.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-23-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
Paul, this site will give you all the information you need and then some. The forums are great for info as well. I burn SVCDS and have great results. I do that because I have no dvd burner. svcds work on most newer dvd players too. http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2004, 7:15 AM Reply   
!Muchos gracias, mi amigo!
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-25-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
switch to a mac, everything is really easy!
Old                04-26-2004, 5:18 PM Reply   
I use DVD Shrink for backups of real movies Its freeware but im not shure if it will burn .wma
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-27-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
with a MAC you can use iMovie to transfer your movies and edit them, then use iDVD to creat the DVD with titles and chapters. It is awesome.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-27-2004, 10:48 PM Reply   
Andre, I have InterVideo DVDCopy and Nero 6 Ultra, if you want. Both good for burning DVDs.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-28-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Joe, thanks for the offer but two other folks have already sent me sample software (thanks, guys). If that software doesn't work out I'll let you know.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-28-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
Anytime. If the sample isn't enough, mine are full versions.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-07-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
Hey Paul you may want to check out SONIC my DVD as well i just started messing with it a few days ago because it was sitting around collecting dust. It is actually a pretty cool program and simple to use. I was able to import avi for movies as well as pics for slide shows. It even lets you create the menus for the beginning of the DVD for the viewer to choose from. Once you have everything in place you just click burn DVD and it renders it for you.
Just a thought.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-17-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
I just bought Roxio Media Creator 7(supposed to be an authoring program?), but when I am done with everything(editing), I click on "burn", does it's thing and then I am getting an "error-title 1 of 1" that is coming up on the screen? I've been using DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Well just for the heck of it I tryed to play them on my DVD living room player and NOTHING???
What am I doing wrong? Why can't it be simple-edit it, then burn to dvd and play on home theatre??
Old                05-28-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
ok folks, Im not the best with computers, but I would like to get a DVD burner for my computer. I do currently make CDs with my CD burner. so I will go to the store and buy a dvd burner, whats next. Do I have to buy special software to create movies? How about to burn/copy dvds that I already have? Any help would be great. Thanks
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-28-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
To copy movies the best i have found is DVD shrink 3.0 It's also free. You can download it here-- http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=155
Use dvd shrink to copy the iso files to your harddrive (it's very easy) As far as burning i use nero 6 ultra edition. But you can use anything. I just put all the file into the video file all together and it burns great everytime. BUT formats with set top DVD players are all funky so you'll never get them to play in all players. They do play in alot though and it's gettin better all the time.